What are people doing about insurance in NY?

Tw0pumpchump

It appears many of the main insurance companies do not offer any type of ridesharing addendum to personal automobile insurance. I have read in many cases, upon mentioning it to your insurance company, they may promptly cancel the policy.

I was all excited about this ride sharing thing up around the track and with SPAC, but with this insurance dilemma, I feel as though I am at a crossroads. I do not want my existing coverage to be cancelled (low rates with multi policy discount) just to do some part time driving.

What on earth is everybody doing for insurance on their cars in New York or are most people just taking the risk?

I've posted a few times on the subject.

Unless they have commercial auto insurance (which is too expensive for part time drivers), every Uber/Lyft driver in upstate NY is taking a risk, whether knowingly or unknowingly.

1) If they get in an accident during period 1, they are only covered with minimal liability. Any damage to their car is not covered by their personal policy nor is it covered by Uber/Lyft. If you have a car loan or you lease your car, you are also technically in violation of the loan terms during period 1 if (as most banks do) you are required to have insurance that covers damage to your car.

2) Most insurance companies in New York don't allow you to use your car for ridesharing at all. If they find out you are, they can cancel your policy, or even worse, possibly deny a claim if they find out you've been using your car for ridesharing. I had GEICO, and they are not renewing my policy simply because I ASKED about rideshare insurance. Liberty Mutual is the only exception I know to this. They don't care if you rideshare. They just won't cover anything once the driver app is on.

I've taken 3 Uber rides since it was available up here. 1 driver was a full time driver and had commercial insurance. The other 2 were totally clueless about the insurance issue. (Both had GEICO and had no idea that GEICO doesn't allow them to rideshare)

Tw0pumpchump

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I already cancelled my Lyft and Uber driver accounts because the insurance thing is just too much of an unknown at this time in NY. Once you can add the addendum to your personal policy and your insurance is ok with that, I will reconsider. As it stands now, I believe even Uber and Lyft require you to prove you have notified your personal insurance provider that you rideshare before they will cover a claim.

cabster

Not to mention all the drivers who have nothing to loose. What happens when someone gets hurt and all insurance
has denied the claim. The poor person has to personally sue the driver who has nothing but a beat up car. They
get screwed. And what happens when the driver gets in a bad accident and is injured, but he has no workers comp.
Now the public is on the hook to support this person. I really cant believe NYS has allowed this without some
real rules in place to protect people. I Think most people who are customers of Uber have no knowledge of
this.............until it happens to them.

Tw0pumpchump

It just seems unbelievable to me that this is going on. I can't imagine most people that are driving for either Uber or Lyft in Upstate New York have commercial insurance. I mean... I had to do research to figure out this insurance loophole and mainly just from other people's experiences and postings on this forum.

I'm pretty disappointed. I was really looking forward to earning some extra coin around the track this summer but if I'm not insured... that's just ludicrous. I'm truly astonished at the thought of how many people are out driving passengers around with basically no insurance.

cabster

That's What Uber wants. If people had to have real insurance to drive for them they wouldn't have any drivers.
Shame on the politicians, they know this is going on. It makes me laugh, if you read all people comments
on yahoo they all are totally down on Taxis, yet if Uber had to live by Taxi regulations they would never
had even got off the ground let alone become a billion dollar operation.

Teach1

I may have written about before. Uber has million $$ through James River out of Virginia. I had someone hit me in rear end while I was going to pickup a rider. It was a hit and run otherwise it would have been his responsibility for hitting me. Insurance has always been a grey area. I simply said oh s...t. Emailed uber told them I had accident. There was a lot of emailing electronic signatures etc had to take pics of damage. James river called me on Monday emails back and forth. I was getting somewhat frustrated and submitted a claim to my regular carrier. I told James River what I did. They told me to close it. This was their claim. So I did. I took the car to collision shop. My pics weren't very good and collison shop contacted James River with new pics and description of damage. It was about $1200 more than James rivers estimate. They paid claim minus $250 deductible. Ohio insurance laws are different thanNY. Only a few insurance companies have rideshare insurance but I asked myself do I even need it after my experience. I hope this helps!!!

Tw0pumpchump

Physical damage to your car... after a seemingly minor fender bender is VASTLY different than somebody running a stop sign and t boning you while on your way to pick up a pax. Or worse yet, with a pax in your car. Damage to your car is going to be the least of your worries. You would probably lose count of the zeroes in the medical claims. If I recall correctly, the liability insurance offered by uber isn't all that great even if they do cover you.

Oh and plus you are in a different state. Insurance carriers in Ohio actually offer coverage on your personal policy where in New York, seemingly no one does... yet.

Maven

If someone ran a stop and hit you. Who would be at fault?
Generally, if you can prove that"someone ran a stop and hit you" then they would be at fault. Best if they admit fault or running the stop. It would help if there was video, supporting witness statements, or a police report. Otherwise, it may be your word against his. Also, laws differ from state to state.

Tw0pumpchump

What if this person is un-insured? You always gotta cover yourself for those situations or you risk losing it all.

I may have written about before. Uber has million $$ through James River out of Virginia. I had someone hit me in rear end while I was going to pickup a rider. It was a hit and run otherwise it would have been his responsibility for hitting me. Insurance has always been a grey area. I simply said oh s...t. Emailed uber told them I had accident. There was a lot of emailing electronic signatures etc had to take pics of damage. James river called me on Monday emails back and forth. I was getting somewhat frustrated and submitted a claim to my regular carrier. I told James River what I did. They told me to close it. This was their claim. So I did. I took the car to collision shop. My pics weren't very good and collison shop contacted James River with new pics and description of damage. It was about $1200 more than James rivers estimate. They paid claim minus $250 deductible. Ohio insurance laws are different thanNY. Only a few insurance companies have rideshare insurance but I asked myself do I even need it after my experience. I hope this helps!!!
That's a nice story, but this thread isn't really about how easy or reliable Uber's insurance is. It may very well be. Its about the lack of coverage in NY available from insurance companies during period 1 (app on, no request yet)

cabster

New York is a no fault state as far as medical liability goes, its on your insurance to pay in the event of
a physical injury accident, thus no gap insurance available in New York. Uber & Lyft drivers your
screwed.

Judging from your name, it looks like you're a shill for the cab companies here to just blast Uber/Lyft. You're opinions aren't wanted. Take your lies elsewhere

cabster

Nope in the auto repair & towing business. Do you disagree. Do you have some info we are not aware of?
If you do please enlighten us.

Maven

What if this person is un-insured? You always gotta cover yourself for those situations or you risk losing it all.
UI/UIM Not provided by Uber/Lyft in Period-1.
That's a nice story, but this thread isn't really about how easy or reliable Uber's insurance is. It may very well be. Its about the lack of coverage in NY available from insurance companies during period 1 (app on, no request yet)
You're correct! Teach1 writes great stories :biggrin: Lack of coverage in NYS available from insurance companies during period 1 also applies to periods 2&3 :frown: You must rely on the inadequate coverage from Uber/Lyft.

Teach1

I thought same about cabster. This just an idea. Call James River for clarification. Uber support would most likely be blah blah blah with you more confused than ever. I know progressive is working on a hybrid. Their home office based in Cleveland and I talk to a fair amount of employees. An attorney with progressive talked with me about tier 1...2...3

ChaseWolf

I asked Allstate while getting a policy quote, and the agent said they don't care if you drive for a TNC, but you have no coverage while the app is online.

Maven

I asked Allstate while getting a policy quote, and the agent said they don't care if you drive for a TNC, but you have no coverage while the app is online.
That would put Allstate in the same class as Liberty Mutual, don't care if you do TFH, but will not cover while doing TFH. At least you can do a price comparison between the two insurers. Until something better is offered, NYS drivers remain dependent on the insurance automatically offered by Uber/Lyft while online, with its known gaps and issues.

Last edited:

David Hasfurter

I called State Farm and they didnt care. They recommended that I up the coverage so that way there was more. But when I did my first pickup there was a waybill and when you have people in your car you are covered under that nation wide coverage. NYS even dictates that they have a certain level of coverage. So I didnt even bother changing my insurance. When they are in the car I have the extra coverage. This is how I look at it.