What am I doing wrong?

allnighter86

Hi all!

I've been driving with a TNC for about a month and a half now, and have recently fallen into the rabbit hole of these forums! I have to say - there are soooo many people complaining about low pay / no pay, terrible passengers, and unresponsive TNCs. Which leads me to wonder, what am I doing wrong? I started driving to make some extra money while I was between regular jobs, and I expected it to be a diversion at best with maybe enough earnings to cover gas and snacks. Well, the reality so far has been great! I'm making way more than I thought (about $19.50 per hour average, after commissions are taken out). I don't care about wear and tear because at 190,000 miles my 2004 Toyota Corolla doesn't have much value to lose (Blue Book gives it about $3500 at best), and gas is costing me about $.09 a mile. With a few exceptions (sullen, moody types) passengers have been friendly and fun to interact with. No one has barfed in my car! No one has even spilled food in it! The worst thing that happened was when a passenger opened the door a little too hard and smacked a light pole, leaving a small scratch (the jerk didn't even apologize or tip!). The TNC's support team gave me $50 for my trouble, and you can't even tell there's a scratch if you're not looking for it, so I was satisfied. I live in the SF Bay Area and drive about 25 to 30 hours a week, mostly in the afternoon and evenings. My days are open and I spend as much time as I can outdoors!

I didn't intend for this post to be a brag, but there have to be some other satisfied drivers out there, right?

tradedate

You seem to be happy, and I'm certainly not going to bust your bubble.

A couple things to note. The rates are different based on your market. I don't know what SF rates are, but it may be better than some other places, given SF's high cost of living.

Also, you said you're driving a 2004. In many places, the vehicle is required to be no older than 10 years old. So you'd be running up mileage on a newer vehicle.

That being said, if it's profitable for you, have fun!!!

Disgusted Driver

Nothing if your car never needs a repair or maintenance and doesn't age out. You underestimate your operating expenses when you only talk about gas.

allnighter86

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nothing if your car never needs a repair or maintenance and doesn't age out. You underestimate your operating expenses when you only talk about gas.
What are some repair costs typically associated with rideshare driving? Before I started I took my car in for its regularly scheduled service, but I haven't needed to do anything since then.

Just Another Uber Drive

What are some repair costs typically associated with rideshare driving? Before I started I took my car in for its regularly scheduled service, but I haven't needed to do anything since then.
Tires and brakes are both being worn out faster. Those costs needs to be factored in.

You're in one of the better paying markets. As long as you're making money and you're having fun then more power to you. Keep doing what you're doing.

As for nobody eating or puking in your car, always end those statements with a "yet" as its only a matter of time for any of us.

2271 mostly night-time trips here and I've had no pukers, yet.

gofry

Whatever you are doing keep doing it. Most drivers make about $8 an hour or less, thus all the complaints and the large turnover of drivers. Also, don't forget the 15% self-employment tax.

phillipzx3

Rideshare driving? You're funny. You're driving an unbranded cab. Tires,brakes, tyranny service, fuel filter....same stuff a cab driver must service.

Digits

The Transmission failure happens anytime after 150k which can be easily fixed and paid for by giving additional 350 rides. The head gasket could blow and that's another 300 rides to fix. Cooling system, Air con compressor, water pump, radiator, battery, catalytic converter,sensors etc etc, just a few services and maintenance that could be knocking at the door apart from the tires, oil changes etc, But, the good news is that all of these can be easily and quickly fixed with simply giving a few rides here and there.