What a Saturday night of Uber driving looks like in Chapel Hill/Durham

These were made using the location history feature in Google Maps.

Attachments

• BCA76952-7933-4BDA-84CE-5F47A61959C6.jpeg
    BCA76952-7933-4BDA-84CE-5F47A61959C6.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 2AC84068-E90F-49C9-9A47-10454771685B.jpeg
    2AC84068-E90F-49C9-9A47-10454771685B.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 62

Uber Roanoke Robert

On average, how much $$ can be made and is it worth the trouble? I don't do late nights anymore as it seems there's always issues with my ratings dropping some. It just hasn't been worth it, especially trying to pickup downtown.

That night I worked 3:00pm-3:00am. I made $349 and drove just under 200 miles. I did a total of 37 rides, which is just over 3 rides/hour.

However, this night was exceptionally great for me for a few reasons.

First, I had boosts for Chapel Hill ranging from 1.2x–2.0x.

Second, there was a home football game for UNC (also home games for Duke/NCSU, spreading drivers out). I began driving just before the UNC game ended.

Third, from 1–3am, I had a lucky string of long surge/primetime/boost rides between Chapel Hill and Durham that earned me about $140.

I was shocked that I did this well while Uber Surge was capped at 1.8x. Luckily, Lyft wasn’t capped. My best ride was a +400% Lyft from Durham to Chapel Hill just before bar close.

Like I said, this night was exceptional. I’d expect about $120-180 before expenses during the same hours on a typical Saturday with no boost.

Last edited:

Uber Roanoke Robert

Maybe I need to rethink my scheduling. Was it much hassle with riders?

A while back I tried Raleigh downtown, it was a nightmare just picking up people and trying to drive thru. Half the time I wasted time having to circle back around because they couldn't find me or just not paying attention.

Uber Roanoke Robert

I actually drove til 4am Friday and Saturday night, stayed mainly in Durham, no issues. Lyft only all day and night, made $400+ with guarantees on Saturday alone.

I ended up in Raleigh downtown once for a dropoff and left immediately. Not bad for only Lyft

Disgusted Driver

I actually drove til 4am Friday and Saturday night, stayed mainly in Durham, no issues. Lyft only all day and night, made $400+ with guarantees on Saturday alone.

I ended up in Raleigh downtown once for a dropoff and left immediately. Not bad for only Lyft

It seemed like Durham was lit up all Saturday, the place to be. I stuck in my familiar haunts, Raleigh, and did OK Sat. night, about $180 for 5 hours. Got royally screwed on one Lyft guarantee hour, went to my second call and the #$%^$ waited till I was sitting out there for 4:50 before cancelling, it's 12:56 now and I'm on New Hope near New Bern, needless to say I did not get the second trip for the hour so that cost me about $18. I also got sloppy, took a minimum lyft call on my way home at 3:01 am and then went offline, forgetting that the $30 an hour guarantee went up to 4AM so I probably could have gotten another ping and signed off at 3:50am with another $21. Oh well, wasn't a terrible night and didn't have to hurt anyone ;-)