• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What’s the best excuse to refuse picking up pax heading to bad hoods?

uberwalt

picked up a Lyft pax in good neighborhood at 11pm, but the destination was in bad hood. Pax was fine. Dropped her off and turned off Lyft as I didn’t want to pickup from the hood. In my return route, in one of the one lane dark back roads a car tailgated me and started high beam flashing and horn. I was scared to death literally. Put the gear on sport mode, turned on warning lights, and pushed my horn continuously, and ran with max speed toward campus area which I knew is full of cops. The @@@@@@@ gave up after couple miles fortunately. I think he wanted to rob me ...
Trenton at 11 PM? Nothing good happens around midnight. Too bad you can't pack heat in NJ.

MarkR

picked up a Lyft pax in good neighborhood at 11pm, but the destination was in bad hood. Pax was fine. Dropped her off and turned off Lyft as I didn’t want to pickup from the hood. In my return route, in one of the one lane dark back roads a car tailgated me and started high beam flashing and horn. I was scared to death literally. Put the gear on sport mode, turned on warning lights, and pushed my horn continuously, and ran with max speed toward campus area which I knew is full of cops. The @@@@@@@ gave up after couple miles fortunately. I think he wanted to rob me ...
I know when I dropped off in Newark, NJ (afternoon) I flipped the app off and head right to Parkway.

Nashuber1

1)say I do not have business licence to drive to that area.
2) Lyft has a preview of the location wants you select arrived and just cancel if you do not want to go there.
3) Tell rider something wrong with your car and cannot engage drive mode
4) tell rider your app stopped working and your phone has hanged

Alexxx_Uber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1)say I do not have business licence to drive to that area.
2) Lyft has a preview of the location wants you select arrived and just cancel if you do not want to go there.
3) Tell rider something wrong with your car and cannot engage drive mode
4) tell rider your app stopped working and your phone has hanged
Best answer - thanks a lot

Trenton at 11 PM? Nothing good happens around midnight. Too bad you can't pack heat in NJ.
Stay away from Trenton!

RoWode12

Then find another job. Seriously. Closing yourself in a small, confined space is potentially dangerous.

And, for the record, I drove all sorts of neighborhoods. It was the well-heeled professionals from the best neighborhoods of multi-million dollar homes that gave me the most trouble. One was a guy from a home at the tippy-top of a private road in North Caldwell. He got in and started beating on his wife.

The other was a HIGHLY respected corporate attorney tri-state wide from Montclair that had to be removed from my car by 3 police officers at gunpoint, and who STILL jumped around in the street, waving his arms and screaming. He had been heading home to his mansion on Upper Mountain Ave.

Never had a problem in the hood. I've driven them all... gangbangers (red, blue, and yellow), drug dealers, pimps, hookers of all gender-persuasions, young and old. They're all "Yes, Ma'am/No, Ma'am/Thank you, Ma'am".

You're afraid of the wrong people, and your system of one-starring people just because they're poor is disgustingly offensive.

Be careful. What goes around comes around, and it usually picks up speed and momentum along the way.
Your experience lines up very closely to mine. Yea, I’ve had problem pax from all socioeconomic backgrounds—but in general, the working class, gangbangers, pimps, etc., just want to get from A to B. They’re not entitled. They’re not condescending. And they always say “ma’am.” (I hate that BTW, but I get that it’s a sign of respect.)

I’ve also had very few bad ratings from these pax in “bad hoods.” They are usually amazed that I have a clean car, chargers, that I’m a friendly and respectful “white girl,” and was willing to pick them up at 3am.

They are genuinely appreciative to be picked up and that is a sad contrast to the 1%ers.

That’s just my experience.

Zaarc

Again, 11:30 pm, 10 mph above the limit, in area full of deer herds. No I wasn’t slow

You don’t know how shitty is that area ... (Trenton).
I’m seriously looking for a way to refuse rides toward that hood.
I live near Trenton and do a lot of driving in various areas of the city and have not found it to be that scary. I'm more concerned about the horrible street surfaces there. Can I ask specifically what part of town you were in?