1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

What’s the best excuse to refuse picking up pax heading to bad hoods?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Alexxx_Uber, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Gtown Driver

Gtown Driver

Driving:
    Lyft
    You shouldn't even have to take people into bad neighberhoods with Lyft. Once you click arrive on Lyft it shows where they are going (just click it way before you actually get to them). If they going to South Central, cancel on them and take the small ding to your acceptance rate and move out. Only Uber do you actually have to take talk to the customer or start the ride beforehand. On Lyft you can discretely screen and get out of there without them being able to rate you.

2. JimKE

JimKE

The part that makes no sense is the ridiculous claim that Lyft (or Uber) have the power to force us to do anything. They don't.

Uber and Lyft offer us rides. We accept or decline. We complete the ride or cancel. What's the hard part???

Nobody needs to strike any silly symbolic clown pose like "raising voices." Just make a decision and move on with the rest of your life.

Yomann and Cableguynoe like this.
  3. Alexxx_Uber

Alexxx_Uber

So what you say is that if we need the pennies we have to risk our lives

4. yes that's exactly what he said

giphy (1).gif

somedriverguy, Alan Tirado and JimKE like this.
  5. Alexxx_Uber

Alexxx_Uber

6. Just tell the Pax that there's a school near their address and you're not allowed within 1000 feet for safety reasons.

7. JimKE

JimKE

No, I didn't say that at all.

You need to stop whining and start thinking.

Any driver who proceeds with any ride which makes them feel unsafe for any reason is just plain stupid. And we can't fix stupid here on UP.

Nobody -- and no company -- has the ability to force you to do anything. Make your own decisions; that's your job. If you can't do that, find another job that's a better fit for you.

8. Alexxx_Uber

Alexxx_Uber

Dude there is a cycle here. I don’t wanna give ride to pax bc there is 90% chance of problem. Now pax complains to Lyft and Lyft deactivate me ....

9. JimKE

JimKE

Your choice, big guy!

You had one legitimately bad experience using your approach, and asked for advice here. But in the end, you are the only one who can make those decisions. Do whatever you think best.

Uber Crack likes this.
  10. Uber Crack

Uber Crack

Driving:
    UberX
    Based on your limited experience it may seem like a 90% problem but in reality it is not. It's simply giving a ride, don't accept further trips until you feel you're comfortable where you are. There's rarely ever a problem. In my experience of at least 300 rides into lower income areas and zero problems there I'd have to say I've had 0% issues. Actually I've met some very nice people, tbh some better people than from affluent areas. I think it's just a newish driver concern. By all means be cautious but that goes for anywhere you drive.
    There is risk involved with any ride you do. You have to determine whether you're comfortable with that risk.

Christinebitg and JimKE like this.
  11. I usually don't do pickups from the hood, only drop-offs. I go offline right after the drop off and book it out of there. You did the right thing by getting out and not taking anybody in the hood.

My advice is make sure your packing a firearm and also have a front and rear facing dashcam. Your life is mostly valued at this point, so take full advantage of it.

mikes424 and Alexxx_Uber like this.
  12. Woohaa

Woohaa

I'm guessing "bad good refers to an over sampling off azzholes. That's why I pretty much avoid Beverly Hills.

Uber Crack and Alexxx_Uber like this.
  13. Alexxx_Uber

Alexxx_Uber

I’m stock in a loop.
    I want to work ride share.
    I want to be safe.
    I refuse some rides due to safety concerns.
    Rider complains.
    Lyft deactivating me.
    I can’t work rideshare.
    I like to work rideshare.

It’s complicated , looks like a rocket science how to manage this job ...

14. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    It's illegal in NJ to refuse a ride because of the destination, not only an U/L rule. Taxis are subject to it, as well.

Considering all of your posts, I'm trying to figure out if you're just trolling. On the chance that you're not, this job obviously isn't for you, IMHO.

15. From reading this and your other posts I have come to the conclusion that you are either trolling or to scared to live , let alone drive in NJ .

Trenton has some rough edges to be sure but come on . And let me get this straight it was a high crime area in Trenton with herds of deer roaming the street .

Stay home . Lock your doors .

16. Uber Crack

Uber Crack

Driving:
    UberX
    Maybe research other posts on this topic on this forum as it has been discussed extensively and got pretty heated before. Don't take any comments personally. We are all different.

somedriverguy likes this.
  17. Ezridax

Ezridax

Driving:
    Lyft
    I got robbed by a dear once.

18. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    When I was newer, I worried a bit about some of the tougher areas. After a while, I started to get comfortable with it. Personally I think it helps that I use trade dress. Anyhow, if there are thugs there, they know I'm not getting paid in cash.

Quick comment on the insurance issue. When the app is on and you're on line, there are three different situations, when you're not on a trip, when you're en route to a pickup, and when you have a rider in your car. The insurance coverage is different in all of them.

Christine

Uber Crack likes this.
  19. logistics

logistics

Driving:
    UberXL
    Maybe you shouldn't be a driver. Every job isn't for everyone. Why would you take a job if there is a 90% chance of a problem. How did you manage to support yourself before Rideshare?

20. That or tell them your name is Mo White and your damn ankle monitor goes off like crazy anytime you're near a school.
    [​IMG]