What’s everybody complaining about I don’t get it!?

I’m probably shooting myself in the foot for saying this but business is great out here in Chicago so what’s everybody complaining about? Every single time I get into my car no matter what time it is and I log in it’s non-stop rides the whole time and before I’m even done dropping someone off I already have another one waiting and that’s no blowing smoke or any exaggeration whatsoever.

Matter of fact, my acceptance rate is below average because I keep forgetting to hit the stop button when I can’t take it anymore and I’ve been doing this for over five years now and I’m not doing anything different. AND, about 70% of them were surges calls so I don’t know maybe I’m missing something but look at this picture I posted and this is Sunday night early Monday around 4am and it’s like this all day and all night so maybe some of you guys should move to Chicago.

Attachments

• 6A7BCAE1-B37D-4796-B677-23AC5707051F.png
    6A7BCAE1-B37D-4796-B677-23AC5707051F.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 326
Yeah, I heard there was less than 50 shootings there this weekend, so seems like things are looking up.

That’s in a specific small area of the city and 50 shootings out of over 5 million people who live in Cook county means that if your that unlucky to get shot then you’ll get shot anywhere you go.

Taxi2Uber

to the Original Poster: You are in the 'honey moon' phase if you just signed up for one platform or another in the Chicago area, and are likely getting a slight bump by the algorithm in ride-request over the more veteran drivers in your area.
you say the OP is in the 'honey moon' phase even though the said he's "been doing this for over five years now".
Your zero-track mind on ridesharing is breathtaking.
You'll figure it out one day.

to the Original Poster: You are in the 'honey moon' phase if you just signed up for one platform or another in the Chicago area, and are likely getting a slight bump by the algorithm in ride-request over the more veteran drivers in your area.

Here we go with another whiner with another comment that doesn’t make any sense. I am a veteran driver and I posted a picture on what a typical day looks like in our city so nobody’s getting bumped when there’s rides everywhere!

#professoruber

Great is defined by each individual driver.

You have drivers that think $500 a week is life changing. You have others that think $1000 a week is great. Then you have the ones that think $1500 is where they need to be.

You also have drivers that love the flat surge but others that like big fat rides that equal about 10 flat surge rides. Some drivers are barely old enough to drink, you have retired dudes that are paying for a vacation, or a housewife getting out of the house. Putting drivers into a 'everybody' whining Category is ignorant.

@SicilianDude - what defines great to you besides some $5-10 surge per ride? $1500-2000 per week at 50-60 hours and 1000 totals miles is great to me.

Valar Dohaeris

Great is defined by each individual driver.

You have drivers that think $500 a week is life changing. You have others that think $1000 a week is great. Then you have the ones that think $1500 is where they need to be.

You also have drivers that love the flat surge but others that like big fat rides that equal about 10 flat surge rides. Some drivers are barely old enough to drink, you have retired dudes that are paying for a vacation, or a housewife getting out of the house. Putting drivers into a 'everybody' whining Category is ignorant.

@SicilianDude - what defines great to you besides some $5-10 surge per ride? $1500-2000 per week at 50-60 hours and 1000 totals miles is great to me.
This is a fair point, but I think in general the OP is commenting on the constant whining on here. "In the old days, I could earn $12 for changing out of my pajamas! Now they require I actually get behind the wheel. F this, I'm shuffling the next 3 passengers to stick it to the man!"

I like the OP's attitude, but obviously most drivers' markets are not a major US city that's always surging. Those $6 kisses per ride certainly help motivate.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Those 'heat maps' and surge bonuses are still very likely DYNAMIC and individually tailored. If you take a long break from driving, the mother-ship will likely re-incentivize.
I know I used to get promos and beg-mails from LYFT when I would take a vacation, and stop driving for 3-4 weeks.

Surges (multipliers) in my market have been quite common during COVID, but many of the drivers here also report not getting rides when the surges are high (which makes sense, as many pax are looking for rides, but don't want to pay surge.)

The only place the rubber hits the road is 'actual earnings' for that week.

UberBastid

That’s in a specific small area of the city and 50 shootings out of over 5 million people who live in Cook county means that if your that unlucky to get shot then you’ll get shot anywhere you go.
Yes, it is important to note that those 50 shootings were only over about an eight block area.
One of the nicest areas in Chicago.

The rest of the city ... not so good.

FLKeys

Every market is different. Have not seen a surge on my map in my market since Jan 25th.

Last Surge I got was in July and that was in another market 200 miles north of my market. In fact since Jan 1st I have had 6 surge rides, 2 in my market and 4 outside of my market as I was traveling between South Florida and Orlando.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Here we go with another whiner with another comment that doesn’t make any sense. I am a veteran driver and I posted a picture on what a typical day looks like in our city so nobody’s getting bumped when there’s rides everywhere!
How is this whining? I'll take the criticism that my reading comprehension on your length of time driving was poor. But I'm not sure trying to understand things is automatically bucketed as 'whining'? Where is your sense of curiousity. Is it only 'axes to grind' with every thread now?

btone31

I’m probably shooting myself in the foot for saying this but business is great out here in Chicago so what’s everybody complaining about? Every single time I get into my car no matter what time it is and I log in it’s non-stop rides the whole time and before I’m even done dropping someone off I already have another one waiting and that’s no blowing smoke or any exaggeration whatsoever.

Matter of fact, my acceptance rate is below average because I keep forgetting to hit the stop button when I can’t take it anymore and I’ve been doing this for over five years now and I’m not doing anything different. AND, about 70% of them were surges calls so I don’t know maybe I’m missing something but look at this picture I posted and this is Sunday night early Monday around 4am and it’s like this all day and all night so maybe some of you guys should move to Chicago.
Rates in Chicago are not much better than here in Sacramento. At least in Cali, we have real surge again (multiplier) and not that flat crap.

Soldiering

He said he's been an OP five years so prolly no honeymoon. Chi town is heavily populated so of course your gonna get pings. Maybe lack of OPs due too SUPER DANGER enviro in that liberal town

JaysUberman

Maybe because two or three years ago those $5 or $6.50 surge stickies would have been 3x and 4x surge multipliers. I guess the old saying you never miss what you never had applies to the OP