We've got a place!

antoienbugleboy

YES!!
We've made the list of cities!
Next thing we need is more riders :rolleyes:
I was really concerned the first night that the phone was on vibrate or there was no audio alert, because it did not ring at all. Now that I have a few rides under my belt, I know to just chill out and listen to some podcasts or otherwise keep myself occupied, because there is so much downtime.

I'm currently putting Uber on hiatus while I research my insurance risk. I can't seem to get a simple, reliable answer as to whether I'd be hung out to dry if I was found liable for an accident. I understand that my passengers and any damage claimants would be covered up to $1 million (not so sure what happens after that $1 million), and that that is in effect from the time I accept the ride until I drop them off.

What I'm not so sure about is what happens when I'm logged in and en route to a hot spot, or just sitting in my car. They say that Uber's insurance is secondary at this point, but for sure my personal insurance will not cover me, so in effect I would be under their insurance, which comes with a $1,000 deductible, and because my own insurance is primary, I'm likely to be dropped or have my rates jacked.

Until I'm satisfied and assured that I'm not taking a foolish risk, I'm hanging up my Uber phone. I've contacted Uber about this, but I have yet to receive anything but boilerplate. :frown:

Coss71

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
All very valid points; and well worth researching before rather than after.
I would be careful when talking to your insurance company; keep your conversation neutral, something like "I was thinking about doing X, Y or Z, what is my coverage in those situations?"
Rather than saying "I've already been doing X, Y, Z and a little W, was I covered?"
They could jack your rates up on speculation if they wanted to play hard ball; or worse yet, drop you.
Just be honest <to some degree>, but don't give them a lot more information than the basics and that you're just researching options.

SCdave

Or you can call your insurance company or other insurance carriers like you are "shopping" for insurance and ask all the questions you like saying you are considering driving for Uber/TNC.

SSFine09

I'm still around! Been busy, went up last week to Seattle. I tried to log into Uber there but was denied access, turns out you have to apply separately for each city. I was really busy that weekend anyways but it was a bummer since I would always like to have the option. I won't do it though since I think they get charged the 10$ fee a week for the phones and I'm not up there that much.

So I'm out tonight for the incentive. Got one ride so far, two really chill guys, even got a little tip! That was cool. I always try to make it out for the incentive nights to make the guaranteed money.

I think with Uber being small in Vancouver and the recent introduction of all the new drivers were all seeing really low amount of rides. There just isn't much demand yet. Here's to hoping they get us into Portland within a year!

I'm sure when it was new it was probable to get the 5 trip a day bonus since there were very few drivers. But if word keeps spreading and we stick it out demand should increase, especially with the promotionals going out.

Coss71

I don't think we'll see much of a change until Portland finally agrees to Uber.

LuLu

How are you guys gonna make it w/out Portland on board???? Maybe this is the plan....Uber plan that is..?

Coss71

How are you guys gonna make it w/out Portland on board???? Maybe this is the plan....Uber plan that is..?
Great question!

Let us know when someone has the answer :frown:

That's one of the reasons I turned in my phone after 3 1/2 weeks, I couldn't even make enough for gas money to travel down to the "Hot Spots", and I haven't heard of anyone getting the incentive money for 5 riders in a day.
The people in Vancouver WA hate change and anything new for some reason. Up in my neck of the woods it's even worse; people don't even want to talk to each other unless it's on a "Social Media" page; face to face? That's unheard of!

SSFine09

I live right next to downtown so it works out easy for me so far. But yeah, its on a very slow uptake as far as I can tell, too many drivers and not enough riders/demand. I actually asked uber for advice to get more rides and they said highest demand times were morning rush hour and evening rush hour, lol. They didn't specify what areas but they always say downtown and around the college on the weekends so...

But anyways, Uber is doing its best to pressure Portland, getting Vancouver, Eugene and Salem on board, and I'm sure they're working the political networks somehow.

Harry Chapin

Thanks folks for posting your experience. How many drivers are there in Vancouver? I've not signed up and feel reluctant (which should make all of you happy). I would have thought this would be busy with the airport traffic. I guess you're not permitted to go to PDX?

Coss71

Thanks folks for posting your experience. How many drivers are there in Vancouver? I've not signed up and feel reluctant (which should make all of you happy). I would have thought this would be busy with the airport traffic. I guess you're not permitted to go to PDX?
How many drivers? No one knows, and no one's telling. I thought the same thing living up here in Battle Ground; there is like NO public transportation services here and in surrounding areas (Yacolt, Bush Prairie, Hokinson, Ridgefield and so on) at first they showed the Van Mall area as busy, but no more and no one up here has even heard of Uber. They really need to do some marketing and getting it out where the locals can actually SEE the service. As far as PDX goes, you can take them there, but you can't pickup anyone at the airport. As long as you pick up the people in SW WA it's ok where you go; you can't pick anyone up outside of the area or across the river.

jake in couv

Has anyone got anything at all tonight? This is my first time driving. 4 hours in. Sitting right next to the bars. Not a single rider.

Coss71

Better yet, did you get your weekend email notice from them? I never laughed so hard!
They made the Vancouver app active in Eugene; yippee. And then they talk about how well the Eugene drivers were doing <yawn> but if anyone is interested they can cruise down and work that area.
Right, I'm going to drive 120 miles to get there for the possibility of making $35 to $50 an hour for maybe a 2 hour window, and then drive 120 miles home.
Hmm so a chance to make up to $100 and only drive 240 miles round trip to do it; yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me <NOT!!!>

Coss71

Did you get the email they sent out earlier today? The one about the marketing all drivers are invited to participate in?
So far that's the only thing I have seen from them.
They were late get the usual weekend notice out right before labor day (like 7:30pm) that might be the same thing for today. Just contact the Vancouver team and ask them.

jake in couv

I did get that one... although you would have to refer an incredible amount of new riders to make 5 bucks a pop worth it. I'll email the Vancouver team and I'll let you guys know what they say

Coss71

Looks like the cheerleader mail arrived at 7:01pm, and <GASP> no hourly incentive cash this weekend!!! Must be that ridership is up enough so they don't have to do that any longer.
That or they've run out of spare cash to be able to afford it any longer.

I did like the new <and apparently untested> "Happening this weekend ..." mail; needs a little work, anyone else catch this part?

"Hey << Test First Name >>!
It looks like another beautiful weekend in Vancouver ....................................

Looks like a bad link to their database <DUH!!!>

jake in couv

Alright trying this out again weekend number 2! Hopefully something happens this time. Anyone been getting lucky and actually getting riders tonight?

jake in couv

Hey just had my first one!

Beware all new drivers who dont know Vancouver well, the GPS has some serious issues getting you to the amtrack station...