• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Well fellow renters, was great while it lasted

DirtyRead

I received an incredibly inconsiderate and untimely message, even by Uber's less the standard history with such heartwarming notifications. As of today Uber is restructuring my rental incentives. Do I really need to explain to any of us what restructuring means? I am not surprised. I assumed it would happen eventually. However, I don't know why but I assumed I would have at least a little heads up? Yeah check out the big brain on Read. I am also assuming everyone else got the same message.Did anyone not get it?

CJfrom619

Just like you I know it was coming as well. Not a huge change but definitely gonna hurt the bottom dollar especially since I was getting that extra $100 for the 120 rides. Im certainly not gonna turn the car back in because 90 rides to cover the rental is still a solid deal. Im still saving alot of money not having to have vehicle expenses especially maintenance costs so Im still gonna hold on to the car as long as I can. Until the next promotion adjustment which Im sure will happen in th e future. This is what these companies do.

Don't swim in pools

Pretty sure if you rent the car you are not supposed to write off miles. That's an expense for if you are using your own car. Also uber said in their ipo they expect driver dissatisfaction is going to increase as they reduce incentives and bonuses. Eventually you wont even get bonuses with a rental.

CJfrom619

So 90 rides covers rental, but no bonus beyond that?
Yes exactly 90 rides for $185 but nothing beyond that now.
Post automatically merged:

Pretty sure if you rent the car you are not supposed to write off miles. That's an expense for if you are using your own car. Also uber said in their ipo they expect driver dissatisfaction is going to increase as they reduce incentives and bonuses. Eventually you wont even get bonuses with a rental.
Well not having to pay for the vehicle and maintenance is a pretty fair trade off to me. I would rather not pay for a vehicle or repairs in exchange for writing off miles come tax season.

I agree eventually in a few years maybe even sooner. Uber/Lyft will get rid of bonuses and surge all together.

Last edited:

Blushark

I am only 2,000 miles away from 500,000 on my Honda. I have been averaging $30 a week maintenance costs that includes oil, tx fluid, brakes, tires, etc. I wrote off 67,000 miles on my car last year for just Uber and Lyft. I plan to drive this car another 3 years so I figure 750,000 before I retire her. Keep on top of your maintenance, my car has paid for itself 40 times over. I will break down my maintenance costs for mileage between 450,000 - 500,000 in a new thread shortly. Tomorrow will be a minimum 400 mile day for me as I head to Magic Mountain and back.

Supersponge

Yes exactly 90 rides for $185 but nothing beyond that now.
Post automatically merged:

Well not having to pay for the vehicle and maintenance is a pretty fair trade off to me. I would rather not pay for a vehicle or repairs in exchange for writing off miles come tax season.

I agree eventually in a few years maybe even sooner. Uber/Lyft will get rid of bonuses and surge all together.
How many miles your personal car have and what went wrong with it?

CJfrom619

How many miles your personal car have and what went wrong with it?
I was driving a 2010 chevy impala with a little less then 200k miles on it before the rental. In December I needed to put alot of money into it to get it back in good running. The brakes including rotors needed to be replaced. I needed to replace the rack n pinion along with one of my wheel hubcaps and needed to replace the windshield as well. Basically I needed to invest a few thousand into it to get it back in good shape.

My plan was to sell the Impala for $3k and use that money to buy a $6k-10k car. Thats when I started looking at rental options. I saw the fair deal and tried it out since it was a week to week contract. Its been such a great deal that Ive been using a rental since the start of the year. I’ll use the rental as long as the promotions they run are beneficial to me. I plan on still buying a car here in the near future. I don’t live paycheck to paycheck. My bank accounts look better then they ever have. Who knew driving rideshare would give me the ability to have my savings account in great shape. The good thing about working 60 hours a week is you get compensated for that time.

Instead of selling my Impala...I put $3k into the car getting it in good shape and gave it to my little bro for his 16th birthday last month. It was awesome to be able to give my bro a gift like that. Im definitely gonna miss the car but hopefully he will enjoy it just as much as I did.
12E8A157-55E0-4271-83E3-D69DF273A9AA.jpeg

Transportador

I drive 13 year old Mercedes C class on Uber/Lyft since this is how it works for me:

1. Buy these cars for $2K since nobody wants old MB. I know these cars. They hardly ever break down, easy to fix, parts last forever.

2. Drive them for 2 years, put on 120K miles. Just change oil and tires and brakes.

3. When they become 15 years old, sell them for $2K or give them to friends/family. Then buy another 13 year old MB.

4. Get 5 stars all the time since most pax are blown away getting picked up in an MB. Old MBs look good since they have good paint job, thick leather, don't show their age.

That's my formula for free cars, max profit, and happy pax (more tips). And if bad luck happened and I wrecked the car, I don't care.