Welcome Taxi Drivers!

Uberchampion

Hello all new members of Uber People.

Based on Uber's recent "Taxi Driver Minimum Guarantee" promotion I have to assume that some of the newest members to this site are current/ex Taxi Drivers.

I for one welcome you with open arms.

Who cares about how you would pull up next to each other so that I couldn't get by on queen street during rush hour...or how you blocked me in not once, but twice infront of the Drake so that my pax and I had to wait to leave.

I can hardly remember how you put people at risk by shutting down University Ave to ambulances or hung off the side of a person's car because you thought they were driving for Uber.

Never mind about calling us all isis members or terrorists. Saying that we were rapists and child molesters....

We welcome you! It's easy to do because we all know you won't last very long. Between the way you treat your passengers, take inefficient routes or pick up street hails for cash....you won't last very long at all.

Welcome to the real world of employment where you are judged for your actions, where people report your behavior and......you get charged for making illegal stops or blocking traffic.

Please feel free to reach out through PM if you have any questions.

Ps. Pool rides are the best.

Happy Ubering to you!

One Star

Bwahahahahaha!
That's funny right there, I don't care which side your on.

Judging by the number of TNC driver's that cancel on pax after accepting the trip, drive like idiots (hence the new driver behavior monitoring system being rolled out by Uber), totally clueless drones going only by the suggested route on their app since they have no knowledge of the area they are driving in and are subsequently always caught in traffic, won't help pax with luggage, groceries etc.... you have shown that while technology has the potential to offer better customer service than traditional taxi/limo dispatching services, the exact same incompetent and ignorant self serving idiots flourish within the TNC system as well which negate any potentially better customer service that the technology has to offer.
Judging by many of the f**khead drivers on this board who have no concept of what customer service really is, TNC's are not providing any additional benefit to the traveling public.

Disclaimer: I get it that the rates are too low and after Uber's cut you are making nothing unless you drive surge only, especially when you almost never get tips.
This leads to disillusionment and driver dissatisfaction which does rub off on the customer whether you believe it to be so or not and leads to drivers doing what they can to beat the system (cherry picking etc...). While this may work for them in the short term, their actions show they are no better at providing customer service than the traditional taxi/limo companies.

Ultimately people make or break customer service not technology.
The TNC model does not provide better customer service when it's just the same or even more clueless drivers.

RasAlGhul

Hi cabbies will ruin uber !! Uber was only a success because people hated cab drivers scamming practices and rude customer service! They will just bring that to über and then I'll make a new company called Nuber and make its rule no ex cabbies and become rich

Harry70

Cabbies biting a bullet: what a turn around :amazing: uber Top driver average will go down from 4.8 to 2.8 : I personally don't like compeating with cabbies

Manhoos

I request not to pigeonhole anyone.. People are smart and they learn quickly according to conditions and situations.

One Star

No Question TNC's have forced a dinosaur industry (taxi/limo) to innovate or face extinction.
It has been good for the "for hire" transportation industry all around and the next target will be the delivery and on demand courier/logistics services industry.
That industry is going to experience competition like it has never seen in the next 10 years or so imo.

The things that are currently keeping me (and I'm sure many others from switching or joining a TNC
is:

a) The ability to tip on the app

b) HST needs to be added to the total fare before the TNC's cut, and needs to be remitted (by who I don't care as long as it gets remitted) and then the TNC get's their cut on the net fare, the TNC cannot take a percentage of the HST as their revenue nor does it make any sense to split the remittance.
HST is mandatory for taxis/limos regardless of the 30000 threshold and this should be no different.

I would be happy if they just kill the surge, charge a decent rate consistently for all classes of vehicle, (maybe a day rate and a higher nite rate would be cool) allow tipping and there's a good chance more will join.

Hail-O had some things right, too bad they didn't survive.

I don't know why the CRA isn't all over this like flies to $hit already!

Level the playing field a bit and do things right tax wise and Uber could get a significant number of legit independent street taxi and limo drivers to join up I'm sure.

Last edited:

Manhoos

Tax system is made by rich/big people. Why would they make a system in which they get stuck by themselves... They left back doors open for big players to sneak out from tax system.
Biggest tax payers are high salaried employees and highest number of audits goes to small businesses and independent contractors..
Tax Revenue agencies are always kind to people/group who create job opportunities (create more tax payers).
Is it fair? I don't think so...
Can we change the system? No way!
The only solution is to learn the game rules and play accordingly...
Just my two cents..!

thepantherking

No Question TNC's have forced a dinosaur industry (taxi/limo) to innovate or face extinction.
It has been good for the "for hire" transportation industry all around and the next target will be the delivery and on demand courier/logistics services industry.
That industry is going to experience competition like it has never seen in the next 10 years or so imo.

The things that are currently keeping me (and I'm sure many others from switching or joining a TNC
is:

b) HST needs to be added to the total fare before the TNC's cut, and needs to be remitted (by who I don't care as long as it gets remitted) and then the TNC get's their cut on the net fare, the TNC cannot take a percentage of the HST as their revenue nor does it make any sense to split the remittance.
HST is mandatory for taxis/limos regardless of the 30000 threshold and this should be no different.

I would be happy if they just kill the surge, charge a decent rate consistently for all classes of vehicle, (maybe a day rate and a higher nite rate would be cool) allow tipping and there's a good chance more will join.

Level the playing field a bit and do things right tax wise and Uber could get a significant number of legit independent street taxi and limo drivers to join up I'm sure.
I concur good sir.

scott huston

Bwahahahahaha!
That's funny right there, I don't care which side your on.

Judging by the number of TNC driver's that cancel on pax after accepting the trip, drive like idiots (hence the new driver behavior monitoring system being rolled out by Uber), totally clueless drones going only by the suggested route on their app since they have no knowledge of the area they are driving in and are subsequently always caught in traffic, won't help pax with luggage, groceries etc.... you have shown that while technology has the potential to offer better customer service than traditional taxi/limo dispatching services, the exact same incompetent and ignorant self serving idiots flourish within the TNC system as well which negate any potentially better customer service that the technology has to offer.
Judging by many of the f**khead drivers on this board who have no concept of what customer service really is, TNC's are not providing any additional benefit to the traveling public.

Disclaimer: I get it that the rates are too low and after Uber's cut you are making nothing unless you drive surge only, especially when you almost never get tips.
This leads to disillusionment and driver dissatisfaction which does rub off on the customer whether you believe it to be so or not and leads to drivers doing what they can to beat the system (cherry picking etc...). While this may work for them in the short term, their actions show they are no better at providing customer service than the traditional taxi/limo companies.

Ultimately people make or break customer service not technology.
The TNC model does not provide better customer service when it's just the same or even more clueless drivers.
Lol you used cab driver and customer service in the same sentence that's funny. Where are you going? No I am not going there. My car stinks? So what? 2x surge always, I want cash and where is my tip!

Actionjax

is:

I would say if you kill the surge there should be some flexibility to the pricing structure. There should be some sort of discount during non peak times to the consumer. It would beat sitting on the side of the road most of the time and keep the system affordable to the general masses. Taxi's in Toronto are too expensive to use as a daily commuter. Uber has lured people into taking them because they are affordable.

I would never have taken a Taxi from North York to downtown ever. But I have no issues taking an Uber as it's not going to destroy my night out budget.

One Star

Lol you used cab driver and customer service in the same sentence that's funny. Where are you going? No I am not going there. My car stinks? So what? 2x surge always, I want cash and where is my tip!
Obviously you haven't read very far into these forums.
If you had you would know there are many TNC drivers acting the same way, hence the reason for my post.

One Star

I would say if you kill the surge there should be some flexibility to the pricing structure. There should be some sort of discount during non peak times to the consumer. It would beat sitting on the side of the road most of the time and keep the system affordable to the general masses. Taxi's in Toronto are too expensive to use as a daily commuter. Uber has lured people into taking them because they are affordable.

I would never have taken a Taxi from North York to downtown ever. But I have no issues taking an Uber as it's not going to destroy my night out budget.
Affordable for the consumer yes, but it's a dead end for the driver at current rates without surge.
I guess as long as Uber can get an endless supply of noobs who have no clue as to the real costs to operate they can keep their rosters up.

If they kill the surge and just have a decent rate not only would it make drivers more willing to work consistently throughout the day or night but it would also stop the pax from playing games like waiting till the surge is over to order a ride and or even if they are in a surge area, dropping the pin just outside the surge and then saying you are in the wrong location to pick them up.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/the-bait-by-the-airport-how-many-fish-got-caught.85673/

Uberchampion

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
At the end of the day, either taxi drivers will enhance the service for all or ruin it for all.

I suspect that all the aggressive uber drivers are ex cab drivers that are moonlighting. Hopefully as of the 15th the cops will start paying more attention to all drivers downtown.

I just got cut off by a cab on Bloor. I hope he's one of the first to switch over to Uber.

PoorBasterd

I guess as long as Uber can get an endless supply of noobs who have no clue as to the real costs to operate they can keep their rosters up.
But even then, this is not a sustainable practice. According to Uber, the average driver lasts three months. Eventually, Theyll run out of noobs. Not only that, but each driver who quits will tell several friends and relatives who are considering driving for Uber not to bother with it. They've already been to the promised land only to find that it's a parched desert.

Uberchampion

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But even then, this is not a sustainable practice. According to Uber, the average driver lasts three months. Eventually, Theyll run out of noobs. Not only that, but each driver who quits will tell several friends and relatives who are considering driving for Uber not to bother with it. They've already been to the promised land only to find that it's a parched desert.
As long as they keep paying Referrals there will be drivers.....now that cabbies are in the mix theres a whole new set of bottom feeders.

Last edited:

Andy3131

Yesterday, I hailed a cab on the street downtown. He had his Uber app open on his cel phone. Looked exactly like mine and was sayong he did 10 trips in 3.5 hours today on the app.