Wear and Tear Doing Just Food Delivery

dgates01

Looks like my starter finally bit the dust on my Honda Accord. It's been a bit glitchy for a month or so. I only do UE, so I wasn't that concerned if it died on me with a job on board. It's just food. Luckily it happened as I was cued up in the parking lot outside Panda Express.

Those of us staying busy with doing just food deliveries are no doubt wearing their vehicles out much faster than those also doing rideshare, considering we have to turn off and turn on our cars at the pick-up and the drop-off. And our trips are shorter, meaning we're doig that more often. Do enough work, and that's a lot of stress on the ignition, starter, etc.

OneRideOneVomit

Looks like my starter finally bit the dust on my Honda Accord. It's been a bit glitchy for a month or so. I only do UE, so I wasn't that concerned if it died on me with a job on board. It's just food. Luckily it happened as I was cued up in the parking lot outside Panda Express.

Those of us staying busy with doing just food deliveries are no doubt wearing their vehicles out much faster than those also doing rideshare, considering we have to turn off and turn on our cars at the pick-up and the drop-off. And our trips are shorter, meaning we're doig that more often. Do enough work, and that's a lot of stress on the ignition, starter, etc.
I started bringing my second set of keys and I leave my little hybrid running at the pickup and drop off a lot while locked, if it's safe and a good area. I still have an emergency key at home if I somehow lose the 2nd one or lock both keys in the car.

AtomicBlonde

I started bringing my second set of keys and I leave my little hybrid running at the pickup and drop off a lot while locked, if it's safe and a good area. I still have an emergency key at home if I somehow lose the 2nd one or lock both keys in the car.
I usually leave my car running for the dropoff if I have to get out and it's a house where the door is right there. If I'm going to be out of reach, shut it off and lock it. Bringing the second key is a great idea I never thought of the whole time I've been doing this. Technically illegal to leave your car running but zero cops will ever care.

blondebaedc

How many miles do you have? I drive a 2014 Accord EX (bought it used) and the starter went out at 36K miles. Had to pay $900 to get a new starter installed because it wasn't covered under the warranty. Did a little research and this is a known issue with Honda.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/honda-starter-problems-class-action-lawsuit.shtml

dgates01

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My Accord is a 2005 with 255K miles. I bought it last year. As far as I know, it's the original starter. It's kind of crazy that it lasted so long.

Launchpad McQuack

If it's a hybrid, then it shuts the engine off automatically when you aren't moving and restarts it automatically once you start moving. I can't see how you're saving anything by doing that, other than the convenience of not having to "start" the car every time.

Wasted_Days

I hate to ruin your train of thought here, but sustained repetitive engagement of a car's starter has very little or no bearing on it's lifespan, there's one factor that overwhelmingly contributes to its demise, heat.
heat is the arch enemy of any electrical component, which is exactly what a starter is, a heavy duty electric motor that drives a hardened gear which is forced onto your car's flywheel by an electrically driven solenoid. Most if not all modern starters have an internal or built in solenoid which is unlike older model cars which had replaceable solenoids. This evolution only took place because internal solenoid starters are cheaper to manufacture. Ever hear of banging on your starter with a hammer to get it to work? bangning on the housing would often free up the solenoid which had warped so severely due to heat it would "stick" in position. It's ultimately up to you how you run your business but I can assure you that leaving your car running while not moving is actually working against your starters lifespan, aside from costing you a grip of fuel, the starter sits there absorbing the immense heat your vehicle is trying to flush out of the engine bay while it idles. your intermittent starter troubles were a sure sign the solenoid was beginning to stick in position due to heat warp or coil failure. Turning your car "off and on" all day has nothing to do with it's failure. But hey leave it running while unattended and locked, maybe one day you'll return to find it gone completely and problem solved :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

hrswartz

broken window and gone in 30 seconds... just thinkin'

yorker

just bought a battery 2 weeks ago, Now yesterday after working 8 hours and 120 miles, my timing belt is almost broken off. Lucky it did not
fail just before I got home. I also could use brakes, and something wrong that makes the motor die at idel sometimes. I dont think I will have the money to repair the car. was not worth but about 800.00 anyway. Not sure what I am gonna do. I have an old truck but it is a 97 and uber will not let you drive if it is over 20 years. Can;t see buying a car to do UE.
Guess it is about time to do something else.