We need to stop pretending that the autonomous car is imminent

RamzFanz

This is the dumbest article I've read all year. None of his arguments are valid.

Exactly. It's pure nonsense. The author has no knowledge on this subject.

1) People don't need to buy these, they will be TNCs.

2) Hacking can be said about any technology and would be far harder with a SDC.

3) No infrastructure changes are needed.

Etc.

tohunt4me

Do you understand how everything you say or show here is corporate bull shit?
Flying Cars coming soon !

Oh wait
Thats the 1930's model. . . .

Any day now . . .

Its only been 87 years. . . soon, very soon.

ROADS WILL BE OBSOLETE !

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-07-05-45-52.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-07-05-45-52.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 27

jocker12

Exactly. It's pure nonsense. The author has no knowledge on this subject.

1) People don't need to buy these, they will be TNCs.

2) Hacking can be said about any technology and would be far harder with a SDC.

3) No infrastructure changes are needed.

Etc.
People won't own sdc's because they won't like them. Otherwise, I've seen you express the idea of GM being a reliable partner. What do you know about GM's corporate crime and shenanigans? They only partner with Lyft because Lyft gives them a platform to test in real life environment, but if GM wants to develop their own platform who is there to stop them ?

tomatopaste

Do you understand how everything you say or show here is corporate bull shit?
Don't hate the Tomato, he's just the messenger.

People won't own sdc's because they won't like them. Otherwise, I've seen you express the idea of GM being a reliable partner. What do you know about GM's corporate crime and shenanigans? They only partner with Lyft because Lyft gives them a platform to test in real life environment, but if GM wants to develop their own platform who is there to stop them ?
They won't own them cause they won't need to own them. GM doesn't need Lyft to test in real life. They are already doing that via Cruise which they bought last year.

All they have to do is expand the program. The 100,000 number wasn't pulled out of a hat. It's what the SDC companies know they can produce this year.

I am going to recommend you be given a timeout form UP until you start doing your homework.

tomatopaste

Homework, Sparky. Do it.

Lyft to offer rides in self-driving cars in San Francisco area

https://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCAKCN1BI1R0-OCABS

jocker12

https://www.recode.net/2017/9/5/16257314/stop-autonomous-self-driving-cars-not-coming-soon-future

This is the beginning of the end. Here is where this technology is going - San Francisco is considering legislation that would ban sidewalk delivery robots - https://www.recode.net/2017/5/16/15...tion-ban-autonomous-delivery-robots-sidewalks

"Don't hate the Tomato, he's just the messenger."

I know you are mesmerized by corporate speech, but they are lying to you kid. That's what corporations do. Do you need any examples for the car manufacturers lies?

How about your loving Google? - Google spends millions on academic research to influence opinion, says watchdog - https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...-millions-academic-research-influence-opinion

Testing would take decades.

And the flaws in the software? Is hilarious - Laying a trap for self-driving cars - https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2017/03/17/laying-a-trap-for-self-driving-cars/amp/

tomatopaste

https://www.recode.net/2017/9/5/16257314/stop-autonomous-self-driving-cars-not-coming-soon-future

This is the beginning of the end. Here is where this technology is going - San Francisco is considering legislation that would ban sidewalk delivery robots - https://www.recode.net/2017/5/16/15...tion-ban-autonomous-delivery-robots-sidewalks

"Don't hate the Tomato, he's just the messenger."

I know you are mesmerized by corporate speech, but they are lying to you kid. That's what corporations do. Do you need any examples for the car manufacturers lies?

How about your loving Google? - Google spends millions on academic research to influence opinion, says watchdog - https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...-millions-academic-research-influence-opinion

Testing would take decades.

And the flaws in the software? Is hilarious - Laying a trap for self-driving cars - https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2017/03/17/laying-a-trap-for-self-driving-cars/amp/
Where do you find these idiot writers? And why aren't you willing to educate yourself so you can tell when they're full of crap? Self driving cars have an onboard 3D map. They don't need lines. Some people go through life blaming others for why they're so unhappy. Self driving cars are amazing yet, all you can do is whine. Sad. Very sad.

jocker12

Where do you find these idiot writers? And why aren't you willing to educate yourself so you can tell when they're full of crap? Self driving cars have an onboard 3D map. They don't need lines. Some people go through life blaming others for why they're so unhappy. Self driving cars are amazing yet, all you can do is whine. Sad. Very sad.

You know what's funny? The people hyping up for this technology will be the same to reject it and forget it after they will understand its limitations.

I know it hurts to realize how your beloved corporations like Google, Tesla or Apple are lying to you. But that is exactly what they are doing in order to sell their products. They don't fight for progress. Their only objective is maximum profit, not progress or saving lives. If progress will stay in their way to make profit, they will fight against progress.

Self driving cars don't need lines on the road? Who told you to keep repeating this corporate bull shit? Do you really believe this crap that is thrown at you by the corporations to maintain the hype and somehow justify their useless investment in self drivable cars? In a real life environment those sensors won't be able to distinguish were the road is anymore (rainy dark night). Without the lines, they will simply process the dark mud on the side of the road as the same as the asphalt.

Unlike most of you here, I had the chance to talk to self driveble Google cas engineers, and ask them questions. It is stupid to call the software an AI. There is NOTHING remotely close to an AI. The software needs to be as simple as possible, because a learning machine artificial intelligence it will start making conflicting decisions like a human, and you don't want that to happen. Why do you think Waymo is quiet about the Google project? Because they are about to release the cars on the road, or because they realized there are way to many variables to work with and it become virtually impossible to handle the challenge ?

You are only educated by the corporate propaganda that will make you bite the worm like a "smart" fish you are, and end up on their plates to be consumed.

Cars will be owned by TNC's? And without a driver, who will punch the numbers at the entrance of a gated community for the car to go and pick up the riders? Who will help an old lady with her heavy luggage if she is home alone and wants to go to the airport? Who it will help you, if you have your leg in a cast, to get inside the car?

You say the interiors won't be trashed because monitoring systems inside the cars? Do you know why all the security cameras anywhere are OUT of reach? Because people will cover them with tape or bubble gum in order to do the damage. Without a driver, people will behave inside the self drveble cars like they behave in a movie theater. Do you know how the movie theater looks like after the movie? Well, because of that, every single car will need to be checked after every single ride, so you need to build a whole new infrastructure to check and clean those health hazards you think you'll like in the future.

Kid, you have no clue!

Last edited:

tomatopaste

You know what's funny? The people hyping up for this technology will be the same to reject it and forget it after they will understand its limitations.

I know it hurts to realize how your beloved corporations like Google, Tesla or Apple are lying to you. But that is exactly what they are doing in order to sell their products. They don't fight for progress. Their only objective is maximum profit, not progress or saving lives. If progress will stay in their way to make profit, they will fight against progress.

Self driving cars don't need lines on the road? Who told you to keep repeating this corporate bull shit? Do you really believe this crap that is thrown at you by the corporations to maintain the hype and somehow justify their useless investment in self drivable cars? In a real life environment those sensors won't be able to distinguish were the road is anymore (rainy dark night). Without the lines, they will simply process the dark mud on the side of the road as the same as the asphalt.

Unlike most of you here, I had the chance to talk to self driveble Google cas engineers, and ask them questions. It is stupid to call the software an AI. There is NOTHING remotely close to an AI. The software needs to be as simple as possible, because a learning machine artificial intelligence it will start making conflicting decisions like a human, and you don't want that to happen. Why do you thing Waymo is quiet about the Google project? Because they are about to release the cars on the road, or because they realized there are way to many variables to work with and it become virtually impossible to handle the challenge ?

You are only educated by the corporate propagabda that will make you bite the worm like a "smart" fish you are, and end up on their plates to be consumed.

Cars will be owned by TNC's? And without a driver, who will punch the numbers at the entrance of a gated community for the car to go and pick up the riders? Who will help an old lady with her heavy luggage if she is home alone and wants to go to the airport? Who it will help you, if you have your leg in a cast, to get inside the car?

You say the interiors won't be trashed because monitoring systems inside the cars? Do you know why all the security cameras anywhere are OUT of reach? Because people will cover them with tape or bubble gum in order to do the damage. Without a driver, people will behave inside the self drveble cars like they behave in a movie theater. Do you know how the movie theater looks like after the movie? Well, because of that, every single car will need to be checked after every single ride, so you need to build a whole new infrastructure to check and clean those health hazards you think you'll like in the future.

Kid, you have no clue!
I'm beginning to think Uber drivers are not the best and the brightest

jocker12

I'm beginning to think Uber drivers are not the best and the brightest
Hahahaha.... Yeah.... With this attitude I am not going to be a "well known member"... Are you 5? hahahaha

At least, you're admitting you are beginning to think.... Your first step forward!

RamzFanz

Nothing. If they want to start at zero market share and screw over a company they invested $500M in, they could.

RamzFanz

Unlike most of you here, I had the chance to talk to self driveble Google cas engineers, and ask them questions. It is stupid to call the software an AI. There is NOTHING remotely close to an AI. The software needs to be as simple as possible, because a learning machine artificial intelligence it will start making conflicting decisions like a human, and you don't want that to happen. Why do you think Waymo is quiet about the Google project? Because they are about to release the cars on the road, or because they realized there are way to many variables to work with and it become virtually impossible to handle the challenge ?

You are only educated by the corporate propaganda that will make you bite the worm like a "smart" fish you are, and end up on their plates to be consumed.

Kid, you have no clue!

Just so much nonsense. These have been covered many times and it's all silliness.

But here we go again:

SDCs don't need lines on the road. They use internal 3D maps and landmarks. MIT (not a corporation) says they can place the car within a centemeter with their ground penatrating radar even with a snow covered road. Oh, and they have found a way to build these GPRs for a few hundred dollars.

If you need assistance you call a car with an attendant in it. Amazing how easy that was to solve.

You cover the camera you get detected in a trillionth of a second and charged fees. Simple. If you make a mess you get charged a fee. Simple.

jocker12

Just so much nonsense. These have been covered many times and it's all silliness.

But here we go again:

SDCs don't need lines on the road. They use internal 3D maps and landmarks. MIT (not a corporation) says they can place the car within a centemeter with their ground penatrating radar even with a snow covered road. Oh, and they have found a way to build these GPRs for a few hundred dollars.

If you need assistance you call a car with an attendant in it. Amazing how easy that was to solve.

You cover the camera you get detected in a trillionth of a second and charged fees. Simple. If you make a mess you get charged a fee. Simple.
How much of MIT research do you find in a final corporate product? Hint - what MIT does it is out of corporate focus because MIT doesn't care about corporations profits. I can tell you about MIT graphene research and discoveries but still the implementation is over 3 decades away.

If GM is involved in this I know for a fact how autonomous technology it will end up in tears. GM only uses Lyft at this point because Lyft has a wider presence around the US and subsequently has the capability to test in different environments with no absolute legal implications for GM.

A car with an attendant defies the purpose of autonomous. I've heard Lyft calling this a hybrid system with a person inside the car. If you need a person in the car it doesn't make any sense to make that car self drivable, because you have somebody inside to do the driving.

So you are a happy trigger individual willing to charge people without proof of ill intent? Covering a camera it's not a crime. If they don't do anything, just looking for a reason to sue the TNC, they got you big time. You are also not aware of privacy laws. Do you wonder why there are no cameras inside restrooms or fitting rooms? If the passenger decides to change his/her clothes and you make a video of it, you are screwed. In order to charge them you have to have proof that person was the one to make the mess, otherwise you have no reason. You have to check the cars after every single ride, because if they cover the camera and spread spit or semen in the car, undetectable by a regular lens, and have other riders get inside, you have a problem. If they get infected because of that, you have a bigger problem.

Last edited:

jocker12

o.o i totally forgot their was an autonomous section to this forum. Anyways all these points are valid and you have to be ignorant of hiw technology really works to not see that.
You have no clue what I am talking about!

The problem is not with the technology, which is meant for ideal conditions (which doesn't exist). The main and only problem is with the corporations that are intentionally lying the general public, promising to make the technology work in ANY conditions.

Corporations are not fighting for progress or to save lives. Their ONLY goal is their profits. If progress will put their profits in danger, they will fight against progress. Let me give you an example here - drunk driving. Easy fix and eliminate it. How? Connect a simple breathalyzer to the ignition. Any car manufacturer can do it, but it doesn't. Why? Because eliminating drunk driving is not a priority even if it can be easily done. Idiots will argue how a passenger could blow the breathalyzer in order to start the car for the drunken driver, but I am telling you how no passenger in his/her right mind, it will start the car for a drunk to drive it.

Corporations have a product they had invested a lot of money in, to sell. It is not finished and it cannot be finished, because you are dealing with too many variables on the road and the software to control the robot should be as simple as possible. Imagine what would happen with a learning system if there are more than one good decisions to make. Which one it will be the one to go for? The learning system it will trigger a debate because it lacks context, which most humans don't.

By the way my friend. I like technologies, but when corporations are not lying about their products. I am having a lot of fun with a video drone and follow all the FAA regulations. Because of those regulations, if you study that topic, I can tell you for sure, there will be NO flying cars either. Corporations will say flying cars are almost here, but they won't educate the general public about the rules in between which those flying objects are allowed to take off and operate, because they want the public to stay stupid and waste money on corporate shit products.

Last edited: