We need to stop pretending lyft is more ethical

Jerry Adams

Wanted to make a point of saying many the things that Uber is being sued for with respect to drivers, Lyft is doing the exact same thing. Or worse

I had started noticing that many of cancelled rides that eclipsed 5 minutes were not being paid . So one week I started recording screen shots.

So i called in and explained my concerns. The guy I spoke with very confidently and elaborately explained how the system tracks everything you do. And that sometimes the driver may perceive he deserves fee but the computer in all its awesomeness knows the actual truth.

"Ok" I said. Let's look at example A. I drove 12 minutes to Orinda and the women cancelled last minute when I arrived. How come i didnt get paid?" The very honest and bright guy I was talking to paused a second. "Oh yeah. Looks like we missed that one. Huh." To his credit, he sent me the five bucks.

So l was like let's do example b. And once again he saw i was correct but this time he said you only get the bonus if they don't show up 5 min after you arrive.

That was a blatant lie and/or misunderstanding of the policy. That would mean, if you drove 20 min to reach some place and they canceled once you got there you would get nothing.

The overall point is I gave them 2 examples of calls that were cancelled and I should have received a fees. They were 0-2.

And its occurred a few times after also. And no fee for me. But because they are so hard to reach and inconsistent in their response times I naturally forget to follow up on all of them.

This is their modus operandi. 5 bucks here, add 10 bucks to rental, eliminate 1 cancel repay-back each week we save 70k a year.

don't let them get away with it. I gave them benefit of doubt cause I wanted them to do well and believed we were all rowing the boat in the same direction.

Guess what?

It's been about 2 months since all those folks jumped ship from uber to Lyft. Now lyft thinks they don't have to try hard and immediately revert to the uber playbook. Uber maybe spending tons on cash on robots but lyft is spending iton Shaquille, and Justin.

The safety amp they supposedly spent so much time on will occasionally show a different color than what it informed pax. Hence, the safety aspect is kinda out the window.

"Trust and safety" no. more like "Encourage Fraud and Market Everything in Color Pink"

Think about that with the Amps. Think about how messed up that is. They introduced this supposed new technology in market that will help drivers and riders safely find each other. However, the colors often will not match. And the driver was given no indication of what is going on with device or what color the pax was told.

Basically making a difficult situation even more confusing. And opening up the door even wider for those intending harm to pax. They are essentially less creepy looking mustaches. No trust and no safety. "Arrogance, poor data analysis, and disregard for safety of pax and driver" team.

Have you ever wondered what background check Trust and safety do on pax? What about verifying identify with a picture of government ID?

Many sites do this . They will have you upload front and back of id. For example, Instagram and Facebook do this because they have concern for those that use their platform. They know someone could pretend to be someone else and ultimately do a lot of damage to someone's reputation.

now for lyft, as a pax you could be living in the most dangerous part of Oakland or Richmond, and have a violent history of abusing women, short men, tall men, Chinese people, and Arabs. You could literally use lyft to summon your prey to you.

Make up fake name, buy prepaid card or iTunes card, a get busy assaulting them. Then walk away consequence free.

As drivers, we could get lucky and be found at the bottom of a ditch or really lucky and have our car jackers let's us live as a reward for emptying our our bank accounts.

If you are in need of a free ride, why not accuse our friendly lyft driver of erratic driver or perhaps rape.

lyft has not neglected us. They have knowingly set us up for to be sources of revenue for the city, state, pax, and now the criminal populations

that's why people can assault, murder, carjack, etc and get away completely free.

Have you seen or heard one change of procedure aimed at increasing our safety?

They are acting like a pimp out of Sacramento, brainwashing and then selling us out to get robbed, taken advantage of financially, assaulted and killed.

d0n

They aren't, but it sure feels good to make them look like they are, specially when so many shills pass the word to Uber, it's a way to keep Uber in line.

Jerry Adams

Im telling you though as someone who had the same exact position as you , we have created an self righteous Monster who not only lacks ethics but also the skill, work ethic, data analysis skills, financial resources of a leader.

Worst of they are held to such low standards for simply not being uber which translates into low pay, sketchy tactics and unsafe working environments.

I think travis is as much of a royal douchbag as anyone but lets be careful that we are not creating something far worse

d0n

Im telling though as someone who had the exact same position, we have created an self righteous Monster who not only lacks ethnics but also the skill, work ethic, data analysis skills, financial resource of a leaders.

Worst of they are hello to such low standard for simply not being uber which translates into low pay, sketchy tactics and unsafe working environments.

I think travis is as much of a royal douchbag as anyone but let me be careful that we are not creating something far worse

So far from Lyft, any shit I complain I get compensated, be it bad rate or problems with a rider, Uber does the same as soon as threaten them though, Lyft is just humans making sense out of situations, if I have a single complain about them... it's the fact they have uber's left overs which are snowflakes that downrate for anything.

touberornottouber

Too long couldn't read all of it but I do think Lyft is a little better for the driver than Uber:

1. They allow tips in the app.
2. They do not pocket part of the cancel fee when we do get it as Uber shamelessly does.

Not to say that I think Lyft is ethical. They are just slightly less scummy in some ways than Uber.

Jerry Adams

Well ---I hear you. but my sense is give it some time and you will see far worse than lyft. Wait till you get one of their surprise deactivations

Lag Monkey

I don't consider lyft to be unethical: Lyft is a good bit better in my opinion. Mostly because I get paid better with tips and a slightly better cut, but here's my issues with lyft.
1. They have the same upfront price scam as uber and take no heat for it.
2. They payout low amounts, only slightly better then uber.
3. They still can be threatening via emails if you don't accept rides etc and they have a larger insurance deductible then uber and have strict driver sign up policies. I.E mentor can flunk you for having a a little trash in the car or a dent in the door etc.

d0n

Well ---I hear you. but my sense is give it some time and you will see far worse than lyft. Wait till you get one of their surprise deactivations

That's fine, they only destroy themselves.

I made a post about why uber has and will always have more clients than them.

Jerry Adams

Lyft out and out steals the fee. Beleive me this happening. I have caught them 2 times and many others have. Way worse than uber

QUOTE="touberornottouber, post: 2552431, member: 68742"]Too long couldn't read all of it but I do think Lyft is a little better for the driver than Uber:

2. They do not pocket part of the cancel fee when we do get it as Uber shamelessly does.

Not to say that I think Lyft is ethical. They are just slightly less scummy in some ways than Uber.[/QUOTE]

Lydt
Too long couldn't read all of it but I do think Lyft is a little better for the driver than Uber:

Not to say that I think Lyft is ethical. They are just slightly less scummy in some ways than Uber.[/QUO

All i ask is that you don't give them credit simply because uber is dl douchbaggy. I would add postmates and instacart as even worse than uber.

It's not uber per say but the business model and lack of regulations

If you drive for lyft, do me a favor. Log all you cancelled rides for the next two weeks. Make sure to keep track of all rides in which 5 min have passed since initial call.

After two weeks see how many times you got paid out. Come back and then write me a thank you note for the 15-35 bucks I probabley earned you.

touberornottouber

If you drive for lyft, do me a favor. Log all you cancelled rides for the next two weeks. Make sure to keep track of all rides in which 5 min have passed since initial call.

After two weeks see how many times you got paid out. Come back and then write me a thank you note for the 15-35 bucks I probabley earned you.

Will do. I think there are other stipulations too though such as over 5 minutes and you need to be on time or within 5 minutes from the customer. So far I haven't caught them cheating me out of cancels. I was amazed also when I got the full $5 rather than the mere $3.75 Uber gives me.

As far as cancels what annoys me more is that I think we should get something for every cancel past say 30 seconds. I think too many passengers take advantage of the cancel system and with so many drivers out there the problem gets worse as the passengers can cancel for petty reasons knowing there are 5 other drivers there within three blocks. Sometimes I feel that passengers are canceling for things like my being stopped at a stop light for three minutes, etc.

Jerry Adams

Agreed. But when we asses pax behavior we must acknowledge the role lyft and uber play in rewarding bad behavior. They essentially reward riders for making accusations against us--true or false.

They have created a game for customers

harry smith

LYFT s a company that doesn't care about the drivers or the passengers, even if you look at like a business. I don't think they care about saturating the market because they make the same price, although 1 ping for 25 drivers is still only 1 ping. All they are doing is collecting information for new drivers and making profit from selling data. They have all your information. They are not concerned about the passenger getting a ride in 1 minute, they put every driver in algorythms that criss cross the playi.g field. Driver A can drive 10 minutes to pick up a base fare because the algorithm mathematically is fixed to make PDB harder to get. The situation is dire for customer service and people have been complaining extensively. Drivers are making less and drivers are working more during peak hours, making surges obsolete. As a company LYFT has no concern for customers or drivers, only profit. A machine

Last edited:

Talcire

I don't consider lyft to be unethical: Lyft is a good bit better in my opinion. Mostly because I get paid better with tips and a slightly better cut, but here's my issues with lyft.
1. They have the same upfront price scam as uber and take no heat for it.
2. They payout low amounts, only slightly better then uber.
3. They still can be threatening via emails if you don't accept rides etc and they have a larger insurance deductible then uber and have strict driver sign up policies. I.E mentor can flunk you for having a a little trash in the car or a dent in the door etc.
Mentor? No such thing.

DeplorableDonald

Lyft is worse than Uber in many respects. Lyft holds drivers in disdain. When I started Uber I also tried Lyft but never was as busy as Uber.

Things that piss me off about Lyft, in no particular order:

* Lyft non-threatening threat emails. When I am in a PT zone and vet 15 minutes away non-surge ping I let them expire, then I get the 'our community needs you' bullshit. Your community? Community implies a symbiotic relationship. This isn't community it's a one way relationship.

* Lyft's constant annoying texts. 'Lyft here. It's raining. Demand should be high.' Nothing about incentives/bonuses etc. Just milktoast 'go drive, PLEASE, go drive' texts. To Uber's credit their texts are usually about Boost/Quest.

* 90% acceptance rate requirements for incentives. Really? That's ridiculous. Even Uber only requires 80%. Especially with the ridiculous distance pings. With all the cars out there, no one else is closer than me, 27 minutes away from Shonita for her base rate Line ride? I'm supposed to lose money on the majority of rides to get your paltry bonuses? Not happening.

* Tips are counted in AHG. As Trump Economics eloquently stated tips actually hurt you in some respects.

* Until very recently not showing PT in request. This just shows their disdain for drivers.

* Driver Support. While Uber has Rohit and the gang which sucks badly, at least Rohit and the gang are quick responders. Granted it's usually gibberish but it's fast gibberish. Lyft's Driver Support for me has always been painfully slow. I have gotten responses weeks later. Also is it me, or does Lyft, whether it's Driver Support or their passive aggressive emails, generally take the tone of a second grade teacher? They seem to have very patronizing tone.

There's more but I need to go make money at my real gig.

pvtandrewmalone

Add two more annoying things about Lyft to the list.

1. The app "auto accepts" if your hand is on the screen when a ping comes through, even if you are doing something unrelated to Lyft and can't move your hand fast enough.

2. They send their passive aggressive emails and texts when too many passengers cancel, as if that's your fault. Always starting with "Lyft Here!..We've noticed that..." Buzz off...I'm an independent contractor.

Last edited:

Lag Monkey

One constant I'm picking up on is Lyft Drivers hate those passive aggressive emails lyft algorithms all to quickly send out. They need to stop completely. Zero Zip. They can send an email out for high driver cancellations or calling and asking PAX to cancel. That seems fair but get ride of not accepting ride request emails NOW. Also lyft ping from over 10mins away shouldn't effect your acceptance rate if decide not to take it.