We don't want your stinking dirty worthless cash.

waldowainthrop

I was surprised to find out it’s legal for businesses to not accept cash in most jurisdictions in the U.S.

I don’t have strong objections to cashless businesses, but I think they should not be able to do so without properly informing customers ahead of time, or instead simply charging upfront if they have such a policy. The way bills work in restaurants is completely backwards, in my experience, as most businesses have you pay earlier in the exchange.

UberBud

I have not had cash declined. I'm wondering if there was a notice on the restaurant door that you missed informing you that they were not taking cash right now?

kcdrvr15

I found this on a us note, " THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"
From past experience, if you offer to pay in cash, and they refuse, you can walk away. Here in KC, they be taking cash everywhere, except tipping uber drivers :/

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Believe it or not...

Not accepting bills over $20 is perfectly legal and a very common practice. I have a personal policy of not accepting $100s for payment on any fare not involving tourists paying $50+ for a ride. I WILL sometimes.... and i mean sometimes decline a $50 for a cash ride as well. Depending on the circumstances, usually not as most of the time It's only $20-30 in cash change back at the worst, and a $50 is no less useful for making change than a $20 so... honestly as rare as $50s are they aren't as big of an issue, and usually don't result in any more small bills going out than paying with $20s, sometimes less small bills actually.

$100 however? That can wipe out my entire small bill pile in one go, and make no mistake, the taxi business isn't all cash. It's not even 50%.

Simple truth, it's entirely impractical and unsafe for me to carry cash to be able to break $100... or to admit that i have enough cash to break $100 bill.

Reality is that before i start the meter i tell everyone i don't have change for $100. It also statistically makes you less of a target for robbery.

The last time i did accept $100 it was a $60+ fare going to the airport and I didn't even mention the no change for $100 because when i was loading their luggage i knew it was going to be $60+ and it wouldn't be an issue making change. I ended up getting $80 cash for a $60-65 fare and i gave them $20 back in change.

What i normally say to EVERYONE...
"Just so you know i can't break $100 but i can make change on $20s just fine"
WHAT makes you think robbing this guy is a smart idea? Do you want to catch an armed robbery charge over $50?

99% of the time
"That's no problem... "
... as long as you can break a $20"
.... as long as i can pay credit
... as long as we can stop at a 711 for beer (not making this up lol)
... I don't have $100
... Aren't I paying through the app?

1%
"well... all i have is $100?"
"Need to make a beer run? Or hit up a drive thru?"

Not accepting ANY cash?

That's federally legal but may not be legal in a state or jurisdiction.
A quick search tells me it's illegal for a restaurant in NYC to refuse cash.

Personally i'm all for laws requiring accepting cash, as it does discriminate against those of low socioeconomic status.

Where do you draw the line?

This year it's no cash,

Next year is it only Platinum cards?

What about a policy of no "police union cards"?

and a quick search says more and more states are jumping on "Cashless bans"
Massachusetts Connecticut and new Jersey now have laws on the books banning cashless policies.

I'm expecting more states to ban cashless stores going forward.

Last edited:

ColonyMark

They should have a big sign by the door so everyone knows this before ordering. The wait staff should remind the customers. I did see a credit card only sign at a chick fil a the other day

BigJohn

They should have a big sign by the door so everyone knows this before ordering. The wait staff should remind the customers. I did see a credit card only sign at a chick fil a the other day

Well, you can blame the government for part of that. They are making rules and changing rules and often the public doesn't even now about the new or changed rule.

MHR

I went to Taco Bell the other day (my idea of comfort food) and wanted to pay with cash. You would have thought I was handing them a live handgrenade. I was astounded at how panicky they became.

They had to go get a cup for me to place the cash in then I guess they took it somewhere to diffuse it. They then returned with my change which was placed in yet another cup and handed the whole cup back to me.

Oy vey.

I went to Taco Bell the other day (my idea of comfort food) and wanted to pay with cash. You would have thought I was handing them a live handgrenade. I was astounded at how panicky they became.

They had to go get a cup for me to place the cash in then I guess they took it somewhere to diffuse it. They then returned with my change which was placed in yet another cup and handed the whole cup back to me.

Oy vey.

Like a credit card is magically free of germs.

I am so sick of this fake "sanitation theater".

Reactions: MHR