• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

We don’t need no stinkin’ badges

czervik7

I’d like to see Uber get rid of the badges under compliments.

Too many times I see a rider think that by giving me a badge for “Excellent Service” or “Great Amenities” it replaces the need to tip.

The badges were part of the old “Kalanick” regime’s way to avoid putting tipping in the Uber app. They thought drivers would accept a pat on the back as a replacement for food in the fridge.

Even in-app tipping has seen my total tips drop quite a bit since Uber hides the tip screen behind the ratings screen which is hidden behind an Uber credit card ad.

Some of you may not know but Uber has added a “Feedback” option under Account>Help. You can give them a short feedback about ideas or criticisms you have as a driver. Please take a moment to encourage Uber to bring tipping to the front of the app screen after a ride is complete. It would make it easier for riders to tip and mean more money in your pocket.

Wren

I disagree that the access to, or lack of access to, the tip screen is the cause of passengers not tipping. Please. They KNOW they can tip in app if they WANT to. If they don't KNOW they can tip in app, they still know they are getting a cheap ride, receiving a service, paying for someone to have food in the fridge. If they want to tip they can bring along some cash. IF THEY WANT TO TIP.

I do think that allowing tipping in the app is affecting tips because if people are both cheap and ashamed, they can get out of car and say "bye" and "thanks" and assume YOU'LL assume they will tip in the app. They save face.

I remember when deciding whether to USE Lyft or Uber, as a passenger, I preferred Lyft because although I was going to tip regardless, I felt more comfortable tipping in app then awkwardly reaching forward with 5 wrinkly singles "Here, uh... hey here, thank you so much."

I've always worked in tipping industries and I also often patronize tipping industries and it's always been awkward to me, tipping, both receiving and giving. I've had people leave me outrageous tips when I was a bartender and wanted to chase them to the parking lot and hug them... and tell them "No, this is too much!" One time I left a tip at a wine tasting, for the young woman hosting the tasting and she said "No, no thank you, it's fine" and I was thinking "Oops, was that tacky of me?!..." Later we found out she was married to the owner and the Mercedes in the parking lot was hers.
But still was that a reason NOT to tip her? DID that make my offer tacky/inappropriate?

I still don't know but my whole point is that giving someone extra to show you appreciate them is something you decide to do or just don't do, will never do, and adjusting the access to the tipping screen is NOT going to change that.

czervik7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I disagree with you for two reasons:

1) Rideshare is different than the bar/restaurant industry where tipping is not only acceptable, it is expected — especially since those workers are paid a lower wage as tipped employees.

2) Uber riders are relatively new to in-app tipping. They’ve been told for years they didn’t have to tip. Ride for ride, I receive more Lyft tips than Uber. Why? Maybe because Lyft makes it easier and reminds riders to do it.

Before in-app tipping I made about 5-10 times the amount in cash tips that I do now in-app. I solicit tips with a tip jar and an iPad that I put a presentation on where one of my slides talks tipping and how to do it.

There is no shame in soliciting tips. The only way to make money at this is with tipping, unless Uber and Lyft decide to raise fares to pre-2016 levels.

Yes, I’m sure not having to tip in front of the driver makes scamming out easier. But, people also forget or don’t see where to tip in the app. If you’ve taken an Uber lately you’ll see that the first thing that comes up when you open the app is a Uber Visa ad that covers the area where you rate a drive. I’ve been doing this nearly three years. The number of ratings I receive is way down since they put this ad up. I’m not talking my rating, but the number of riders actually rating. If they don’t rate, they can’t tip. Simple as that.

antonfilip

I disagree with you for two reasons:

1) Rideshare is different than the bar/restaurant industry where tipping is not only acceptable, it is expected — especially since those workers are paid a lower wage as tipped employees.

2) Uber riders are relatively new to in-app tipping. They’ve been told for years they didn’t have to tip. Ride for ride, I receive more Lyft tips than Uber. Why? Maybe because Lyft makes it easier and reminds riders to do it.

Before in-app tipping I made about 5-10 times the amount in cash tips that I do now in-app. I solicit tips with a tip jar and an iPad that I put a presentation on where one of my slides talks tipping and how to do it.

There is no shame in soliciting tips. The only way to make money at this is with tipping, unless Uber and Lyft decide to raise fares to pre-2016 levels.

Yes, I’m sure not having to tip in front of the driver makes scamming out easier. But, people also forget or don’t see where to tip in the app. If you’ve taken an Uber lately you’ll see that the first thing that comes up when you open the app is a Uber Visa ad that covers the area where you rate a drive. I’ve been doing this nearly three years. The number of ratings I receive is way down since they put this ad up. I’m not talking my rating, but the number of riders actually rating. If they don’t rate, they can’t tip. Simple as that.
I Totally agree with you.

Wren

You said:

Who decided tipping is not only acceptable but expected? Uber is relatively new but I've been tipping cab drivers since 1997 when I went to Las Vegas, and driving a cab, or providing a method of transportation, is at least as old a job , if not older than, waiting tables.

No industry, NO INDUSTRY is paid a lower wage than Uber and Lyft drivers. Your gas, your time, your vehicle. If a server/ waiter/waitress does NOT make minimum wage when hourly and tips are combined they are compensated. That's the law. When we sit in our cars, engine running when it's 13 degrees outside, for 25 minutes waiting for the next ping, we are NOT being paid.

If any industry should expect/accept a tip, it is Uber. Uber discouraging tipping from the get go, that's on them. It's the passengers that should know better. If they wanted to tip they would. They don't have to, they don't have to feel guilty if they don't, and you can sugar coat all you want but the writings on the wall bro.

McNutt2K10

You said:

Who decided tipping is not only acceptable but expected? Uber is relatively new but I've been tipping cab drivers since 1997 when I went to Las Vegas, and driving a cab, or providing a method of transportation, is at least as old a job , if not older than, waiting tables.

No industry, NO INDUSTRY is paid a lower wage than Uber and Lyft drivers. Your gas, your time, your vehicle. If a server/ waiter/waitress does NOT make minimum wage when hourly and tips are combined they are compensated. That's the law. When we sit in our cars, engine running when it's 13 degrees outside, for 25 minutes waiting for the next ping, we are NOT being paid.

If any industry should expect/accept a tip, it is Uber. Uber discouraging tipping from the get go, that's on them. It's the passengers that should know better. If they wanted to tip they would. They don't have to, they don't have to feel guilty if they don't, and you can sugar coat all you want but the writings on the wall bro.
I would like to add, even though they are slightly compensating us, that long 15-20 trip to go pick someone up in the middle of BFE and then taking them just around the block.
But I agree we are on of the lowest paid service industry jobs out there.

emdeplam

Lowest unemployment in a long time and lots of drivers, how is pay a problem?

Uber is a gig, you trade employment for freedom, no boss and your own hours.

czervik7

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You said:
Then what are you arguing with me about? I want Uber to make tipping upfront and center. It could only help. Or get rid of in-app tipping altogether and let riders be shamed into tipping in front of my face instead of not having to face me when they don’t. If they don’t have cash, that’s ok, I’ve got a Square reader. Used to use it too. Not anymore.