1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

We can't advertise?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Frustrated Upstater, Jul 16, 2017.

1. I had come up with an idea for a sign to post around town announcing that Uber is here and explaining how to download the app, etc. It would have tear-off strips with promo code. I had come up with some Dr. Seussian language: "We can take you here or there, we can take you anywhere ..."

I posted this on my local drivers Facebook page and someone said this was verboten. Is that true?

Seems to me that Uber would want us to solicit riders, especially in a new market like ours where ridesharing is just taking hold.

2. Newuberer

Newuberer New Member

Well Uber has its own advertising department. When you make catch phrases like that people will mistake you as someone who represents the company. And they probably don't want that.

Also you giving away promo codes is just going to put new drivers into your market, taking PAX away from you and also less surges.

Star13 and TheTruth...Hurts like this.
  3. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    What?
    Promo codes for riders obviously. Not drivers.

REDSEA likes this.
  4. Newuberer

Newuberer New Member

Woah my mistake guy thought he was talking about codes for sign ups for drivers which there obviously are as well.

Cableguynoe likes this.
  5. Cableguynoe

Driving:
    UberXL
    I say do it. Just look at eBay and Craigslist.
    Promo codes left and right.
    Why not target your specific town.

6. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Now wouldn't that be funny if Uber issued him an injunction...8)

REDSEA likes this.
  7. TheTruth...Hurts

TheTruth...Hurts New Member

If your adverts are bad, cheap looking, etc, you could hurt their brand image. You have no idea what they like, don't like. I wouldn't do it.

Yozee likes this.
  8. Yes, I'm talking about a rider code.

What if I put a disclaimer on it: "This sign was created by your friendly local Uber driver and has not been endorsed by Uber, Inc."?

9. BrunoG

BrunoG Active Member

I can think of two potential areas of concern.

Anything that would try to steer riders directly to a specific rideshare driver, and would have them contacting you outside the TNC platforms enabling off platform rides would likely be a problem.

The second issue could be the use of Trademarked items in any advertisement that wasn't official.

I had some cards printed with my codes for Uber and Lyft, but I did not use the logos for either company on my cards. I also didn't print my telephone number or personal email address on those cards. Promoting the use of your codes, but having whomever the platform assigns as their driver should be OK.

10. I'm not including the Uber logo or any of my personal info. I may get some rides out of the sign simply from proximity. There aren't a lot of rideshare drivers in my little town (I may be the only one) so if someone here calls an Uber when I'm online, there's a good chance they'll get me. But I'm not directly soliciting rides for myself -- just talking up the service. A lot of people still haven't gotten the word that ridesharing is legal here now.

11. Spotscat

Spotscat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    That's interesting that Uber doesn't allow advertising.

Lyft has promo materials you can order through Vista print - all you do is create a referral code, add it to their design, order and pay for how many you want, and you're good to go!

12. Cableguynoe

Driving:
    UberXL
    I actually think uber wouldnt mind it at all

13. Uber315

Uber315 Active Member

After being in this from the beginning in Miami I have to tell you , that you are better off referring as many drivers as possible and make the bonus because if you don’t do it another driver will . You can not stop it.

Spotscat likes this.
  14. Go4

Go4 Well-Known Member

Please put a line about tipping in your ad.
    "Try Uber next time, half the cost of a taxi, and in app tipping. Easy, peasy"
    or
    "Try Uber with the discounted rider code. Don't forget to Tip Your Uber. Thank you."