• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Waze vs Google Maps

pizza guy

I know this has been periodically mentioned in other threads but wanted something to really help evaluate what works best in different situations.

I finally downloaded Waze in March and since then have been comparing them head to head since. I use Google for Uber but do a lot of driving for my other job allowing an interesting comparison.

My conclusion is that Waze sucks and the only benefit is in alerting you to speed traps and cameras. I routinely go against Waze suggestions and usually it results in a decreased ETA.

Google Maps is far superior for many reasons. First and most significant to people driving in areas they don't know is how it tells you what lane you should be in. We all know better but I feel sorry for the dude planning to exit from the right in Oak park.

If you have ever been in 70 mph zone you know how beneficial Maps road colors are as well as how it zooms out before turns. Pedals cost money and coasting into a slowdown saves money. This also makes a huge difference in low visibility and bad road conditions so you can avoid speed changes.

My final reason Maps is superior is the no touch views of alternative routes. A route with two unprotected left turn probably isn't the 2 minutes faster shown.

My final point is probably not for those of you who have kept reading, but navigation is only as smart as the user. Navigation near me often routes drivers through side street leading to impossible left turns. The driver who ignored navigation gets the full tip knowing the area.

Grunions

I use Waze exclusively. Waze warns of traffic buildup, accidents, rose hazards, cops, speed/red light cameras, etc. Waze can plan some weird routes, but can also route around these things which can delay traffic.

Waze also does a nice job with the arrival time estimate, duration and distance. I’ve had pax check it every 30 seconds or so, as if they were dying by each passing second. It’s somehwat annoying to have to repeatedly answer 2018’s version of “are we there yet?”

The lane indicator on Google Maps is a nice feature, especially if you don’t know the area.

I’ve had pax tell me to ignore the GPS and tell me how to get to their destination. The more insistent they are with the override and my compliance usually gets a tip.

What’s odd is that Google owns Waze, so I’m surprised I haven’t seen some features cross over yet.

RickGnVa

I prefer Google maps but In the DC market Waze is the only one to use. DC and MD love their speed and red light cameras.

Halfmybrain

Waze is famous for shortcuts, which often zigzag to avoid delays. I've never liked Google Maps but it's hard to say why (unless I force myself now and then). One thing I don't like about Google Maps, if I want to find the nearest Jewel or Subway, and select one from the list, it does NOT show the distance until I tell it to navigate. Grrr.

Not a fan of the default voice for Google but I wonder if it can pronounce "Cicero" (Waze: SaSORoh) or "Pulaski" (Waze: PullOSSkee) correctly.

EddieG

When I first started I used Waze. For some reason though Waze will drain my fully charged battery in 4 hours and Google Maps doesn't. Waze also loves to take you down alleys to get to the destination. I'm ok with that since I can figure out where the front door is, but when it's a one way going in the opposite direction, it becomes a hassle.

Halfmybrain

When I first started I used Waze. For some reason though Waze will drain my fully charged battery in 4 hours and Google Maps doesn't. Waze also loves to take you down alleys to get to the destination. I'm ok with that since I can figure out where the front door is, but when it's a one way going in the opposite direction, it becomes a hassle.
My charger is connected to my phone most if not all drive-time.

Kodyhead

I like things on Waze and they might of fixed it but when I get to a destination Google tells me if the address is in the right or left side of the street.

I hated the picture in picture in the beginning but now like it not sure if Waze has it

EddieG

The one thing I do like about Waze vs. G maps is just by touching the top portion of the screen I get a list of my turns/directions. In google maps, I have to press 2 buttons and it isn't as prominent on the screen.

Halfmybrain

Uber nav is not terrible. I like that it gives a whole-route overview. I like that it doesn't nag me (I have music, podcasts, or riders to listen to).

I do NOT like its next-turn navigation sometimes since it does not reflect the distance to the next turn, but distance to the official data layer name change of a street (say from South Harlem Avenue to South Harlem Ave or State Rte 43).

RickGnVa

Waze won't shut the hell up. I've got music to listen to. City cops don't waste time with speed tickets, and the cameras are all labeled with signage.
Then turn them off. you don't have to listen to or see all of the notifications...

lakersfan1

I guess this thread proves why Google maintains both Waze and Maps. They're similar but distinct products with fans of both.

Just remember you either buy a product, or you are a product. When it comes anything Google you ARE the product.
Fool, if you on Waze, you just on a product Google bought 3 years ago. Use your free Wilkipedia.

Asificarewhatyoudontthink

Waze is really good. It shows some cops, traffics. Also waze has carpool. Did you tried it?
So, here's the real deal.

If you (and I mean anyone) think red-light cameras and speed traps notifications is important then please stop driving.

A good driver does things the right way even when they aren't being watched (yes driving with the flow of traffic On Highways is allowed as long as said speed is not "excessive").
I have told more than one passenger that I don't need a chattering voice in my ear about red lights and speed zones as I don't run red lights and I don't speed to a point of being pulled over.

And riders that think they are going to try to tell me how I will operate my vehicle will find that they are suddenly in need of a new driver (don't care about the Very Few 1 stars this has led to) as you will never speak to me as if I am your personal servant.

R.Dub

I would prefer to use Waze or Google Maps as my 3rd-party nav for Uber. Unfortunately, I am kind of forced to use Uber's nav due to multiple issues I had trying to use Waze. During my first week of driving, I was using Waze as the 3rd-party nav. I had 3 instances where I accepted pings, tapped navigate, had Waze open up and route me to the pax, only to find out once I got there that the pax had canceled the ride. Switching back to the Uber Driver app, sure enough, the ride request had been canceled.

Unfortunately, I do not get notifications when a ride is canceled if I'm using a 3rd-party nav. Therefore, I strictly use Uber nav now.

Grunions

I would prefer to use Waze or Google Maps as my 3rd-party nav for Uber. Unfortunately, I am kind of forced to use Uber's nav due to multiple issues I had trying to use Waze. During my first week of driving, I was using Waze as the 3rd-party nav. I had 3 instances where I accepted pings, tapped navigate, had Waze open up and route me to the pax, only to find out once I got there that the pax had canceled the ride. Switching back to the Uber Driver app, sure enough, the ride request had been canceled.

Unfortunately, I do not get notifications when a ride is canceled if I'm using a 3rd-party nav. Therefore, I strictly use Uber nav now.
The notifications are there. You should change your UD alerts to banner, which means they stay on screen. I missed several pings until I made this change.