Uber Drivers Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts
What else do you expect him to say? Naturally he is going to sing his employer's praises.. Use some common sense. True 100% self-driving cars are decades away.
You're in a state of denial.
Understandable considering ur circumstances, age & finances.
If by "decades" ur implying 10 days I must agree.
Governments, insurance companies, 75 million millennials and the wealthy want SDC. And SDC is what they shall have.

I'm waiting for FREE rides in LA. How many years will I have to wait? 5? 10? 15?? 20??!!
Soon to be homeless don't get free rides

The number of miles drive by humans without serious accident vs the number of miles driven continuously by Waymo without a driver intervening to prevent an accident.
You would be dead in an hour at present.
10 million? That's really cool. 5 trillion miles are driven every year in the USA with a minor accident every 500,000 miles driven by humans. Regulators want 6 billion miles of data from Waymo before they take any data seriously. Think Waymo points out that's their entire fleet driving 24 hours a day for 15 years. 10 million miles Waymo have driven with drivers still needing to take over every 15-20 miles in perfect conditions and they still pack the cars up when it rains is according to residents who live in the test area is not actually a safety tick.

14 year old thinks it's cool. Let's go then.
I agree with everything you have written.

Elon Musk himself has said that developing 99% of the technology for self-driving cars is the easy part. It's the final 1% that really takes up 99% of the time. Currently we are nowhere near even 50%. So we have a long way to go.

I agree with everything you have written.

Elon Musk himself has said that developing 99% of the technology for self-driving cars is the easy part. It's the final 1% that really takes up 99% of the time. Currently we are nowhere near even 50%. So we have a long way to go.
I always find it fascinating that a person some would mock will be quoted when it supports their personal position. Sorry, no Sale

You're in a state of denial.
Understandable considering ur circumstances, age & finances.
No I'm not. My circumstances are pretty okay, I'm still in my thirties, and regarding finances, I have more free and clear real estate ownership than you will ever be able to dream of. So thanks for making yet more stupid assumptions.

"I can literally count on my hands the number of minutes that the safety driver has been driving,"

There's the thing. It's like saying "I can literally count on my hands the number of times that I would have ended up under a truck." The safety drivers can not be required ever. Not once in 100,000 miles.
Not in any conditions. That's the level they need to get to to be anything other than a failure.
Or I can literally count on my one hand the number of times I almost died in an airplane crash! lol

Don't worry; you won't need to access your safe space for the duration of this post.
I doubt that. In 2017, as part of his new power consolidation efforts, Dara pushed through changes to dilute Kalanick's own power. These included:

• Converting Kalanick's founders' shares (that previously had 10x the voting rights) into ordinary shares
  • Adding 6 further board members (up from 11)
  • Requiring two-thirds vote from the board for future elections of CEO
Dara pushed for, and acheived these changes, which effectively curtailed Kalanick's influence in the company. The two men are rivals, and certainly not "on each other's speed dial".
I don't think it's just we working poor who have disdain for him. Pax also do. Among phrases never heard in a rideshare car by pax: "How about that Travis guy, huh? What a guy!". In fact, I can't think of any time when that's been said by anyone.

Drivers are a non-factor in what? We're certainly a factor in Uber generating billions in losses every year. They couldn't do it without us! As far as drivers not being part of Uber's future plans, that may be true. That's fine, though; Uber isn't part of mine either.

in a company with no buildings, no assets, no expenses whatsoever and a massive daily income of billions worldwide, if they are losing billions there should be some people in jail. and we need laws and recourses to prevent the working masses from being criminally exploited by our 'owners'

in a company with no buildings, no assets, no expenses whatsoever and a massive daily income of billions worldwide, if they are losing billions there should be some people in jail. and we need laws and recourses to prevent the working masses from being criminally exploited by our 'owners'

using your logic ALL members of congress should be incarcerated
for our nation's debt

No I'm not. My circumstances are pretty okay, I'm still in my thirties, and regarding finances, I have more free and clear real estate ownership than you will ever be able to dream of. So thanks for making yet more stupid assumptions.
Welcome to Tomatoville where logic gets thrown out the window. He's just trolling now because his previous SDC predictions have failed.

Are you referring to the fact that all
self Driving Cars currently on the road today have a safety driver at the wheel for times when he has to take over? Good question. Maybe someone who's not a naysayer can answer that.
Yeah, or maybe even a real person here who has actually been inside one of these 'Self Driving Cars' with (pretend you don't see me) 'program director' onboard.

I can't help but think of auto pilot Otto from the 1980 movie 'Airplane!' and now here we are nearly 40 years later still with pilots onboard.

Why are they called Self Driving Cars when the aren't?

It's FOMO. Fear Of Missing Out on the next big thing. Intel created much of this craziness when they came out with the notion of a potential $7 Trillion dollar market!!

It's FOMO. Fear Of Missing Out on the next big thing. Intel created much of this craziness when they came out with the notion of a potential $7 Trillion dollar market!!

The catch is that the technology has to work for SDCs to make a significant impact.

I dont fear SDC's. I want them. Too many "public citizens" shouldn't be driving. All these close calls keep scaring me. The jobs that they will take, otoh, will burn the country down.

Elmer the buggy maker complained to Henry Ford with the same concern. Henry!, Elmer yelled, your horseless carriages will put me and all other buggy makers out of business! You will kill us all! Henry, being the brilliant man that he was calmly explained to Elmer, where one opportunity closes, 1000 more open. The lesson Elmer learned was to look forward and not to live in yesteryear. Elmer went on to create a fortune investing in horseless carriage stocks. Elmer achieved this with only a 3rd grade edumacation. If Elmer can do, so can you!

Discussing moderation actions (or lack thereof) in open forum
Elmer the buggy maker complained to Henry Ford with the same concern. Henry!, Elmer yelled, your horseless carriages will put me and all other buggy makers out of business! You will kill us all! Henry, being the brilliant man that he was calmly explained to Elmer, where one opportunity closes, 1000 more open. The lesson Elmer learned was to look forward and not to live in yesteryear. Elmer went on to create a fortune investing in horseless carriage stocks. Elmer achieved this with only a 3rd grade edumacation. If Elmer can do, so can you!
@tomatopaste
So when is human car driving going to be rendered obsolete? Next year? Two years? 50 Years?

I need to know so I can plan

Give me an exact year please

41 - 60 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.