1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Waymo has announced they are ready and opening in AZ.

Discussion in 'Autonomous' started by RamzFanz, Nov 7, 2017.

1. RamzFanz

RamzFanz Well-Known Member

They are officially driving in AZ with no safety driver. The passenger service will commence within months. (Correction, it's already started). Initially a Waymo employee will ride along in the back and then that will be phased out.

If you live there, they have a signup program.

[I'll link as soon as I can. I'm on mobile.](https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-with-no-human-in-drivers-seat-idUSKBN1D72BU)

They also announced they are expanding their Pacifica fleet from 100 to 600.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    themikep87 and Mista T like this.
  2. The Gift of Fish

The Gift of Fish Well-Known Member

Don't worry, there's no rush. This isn't news; we already know that they are piloting their driverless early rider program - it says so on their website.

upload_2017-11-7_13-37-33.png

Linux Geek likes this.
  3. RamzFanz

This is definitely a next step as they announced they are ready, are now operating on live roads with no safety driver, and will be carrying actual passengers soon.

4. The Gift of Fish

Waymo beat you to it. They say on their website that Ted and Candace "are some of the first riders who are already using our self driving cars every day".

Way to go, Ted and Candace!

5. RamzFanz

I missed that. It's official then.

tomatopastetomatopaste wins!

My most "fanboy" estimates were at least months off.

Good job Tomato. jocker12jocker12 heynow321heynow321 and their clan of naysayers have gone down in flames.

Sydney Uber, Mista T and tomatopaste like this.

6. The Gift of Fish

Again, no. He believes that Waymo would launch a commercial rideshare service before Christmas.

I don't see what's so difficult to understand - this seems like some kind of remedial class. Ok... let's go through this one more time:

1. Waymo is launching a test program in which they loan driverless cars to individuals in Phoenix.
    2. There is no 2.

Linux Geek and ST DYMPHNA son like this.
  7. RamzFanz

Just because they aren't charging and it's a limited launch does not mean anything.

Driverless cars are officially carrying passengers in a ride service in AZ. Case closed.

What part of this don't you get?

8. The Gift of Fish

A better question would be, what part of it don't you get? You claim that:
    However, Tomatopaste thinks this is a commercial rideshare service. It's not. There is a big difference between having end users help with user acceptance testing of driverless technology, and a full commercial launch of a commercial driverless rideshare service.

I thought you had understood this difference, but it looks like you've regressed and are confusing the two.

Again, Waymo is introducing driverless cars as part of a test program in Phoenix. And that's impressive. But this is not a launch of a commercial driverless car service that will compete with rideshare drivers at this time.

Linux Geek likes this.
  9. RamzFanz

Live roads: check

Live civilian passengers: check

No driver: check

10. The Gift of Fish

None of that is in dispute. However, none of that has any relevance to the point I made.

Bottom line - this isn't the commercial rideshare service that you / Tomatopaste were hoping for. There isn't really much more to say about it.

11. heynow321

heynow321 Well-Known Member

Hey ramz did you know that SeaTac airport has autonomous trains that have been carrying passengers without a conductor for decades ?!?! Holy crap wow !!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2017
  12. RamzFanz

I predicted early next year. The for profit part, charging riders and open to all of the public, is a few months away. Restricted ridership and not charging is meaningless.

These passengers, who signed up for a service, are receiving said service.

If any of these riders ever rode in a rideshare, and of course they have, then yes, it's competing with us. Saying it's not is like saying if Lyft gives a free ride, they aren't competing with Uber.

itsablackmarket likes this.
  13. The Gift of Fish

Maybe so. Maybe not. Time will tell. However, the point remains, this is not the launch of a commercial rideshare service about which you said:
    No matter what ancillary information you care to add, further predictions etc etc, nothing changes that fact.

Linux Geek likes this.
  14. RamzFanz

Gotcha.

So if Lyft opens in a city where Uber is and gives out free rides for a month or two to early rider sign ups, that's not a service and not competition.

Clear as pudding.

Regardless of your definition, self driving cars with live passengers on live roads is here and that was the spirit of the debate. It's over.

It wasn't never, not in my lifetime, 30 years, decades, or any of the other silly predictions. It was a year earlier than the earliest public expert predictions.

itsablackmarket likes this.
  15. The Gift of Fish

You are arguing that black is white; that what Waymo is doing now in Phoenix is launching a commercial rideshare service to compete with Uber/Lyft. I guess if that's what you believe at this stage then I'll just leave you to it.

I believe that you do have (a) the capacity to realise that on this occasion you are mistaken, but I also believe that (b) you do not have the humility/maturity to accept that you are mistaken. But I could be wrong about (a).

Can't be bothered to find it, but there was a post in which Ramzfanz was correct about one aspect of SDC. Anyway, Ramzfanz hasn't proven anything. When he says that Waymo etc are launching commercial operations, that's clearly wrong - Waymo execs confirm that what they are doing is testing driverless vehicles. But we already know the various companies are testing SDC. The main interest here in this drivers' forum is when driverless cars will replace us in our jobs, and as far as that goes, nobody knows.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2017
    Linux Geek and ST DYMPHNA son like this.
  16. tomatopaste

tomatopaste Well-Known Member

The only reason Waymo is not charging pax today is because Waymo IS cautious, Ramz is right. Uber is charging passengers already, with the safety driver still behind the wheel. The only difference from what they are doing today and a commercial self driving taxi service, is to charge the passenger. This will happen before the end of the year so they can say they launched their commercial self driving taxi service in 2017.

17. RamzFanz

You rely on their executive’s framing of a statement and then completely ignore that they also said within months for open paid service.

You’re cherry picking.

Just because this is the early stages of a commercial service doesn’t make it not a commercial service.

Customers signed up and are being provided the service they signed up for.

The question of when Waymo will launch is answered.

18. Taxi Driver in Arizona

Taxi Driver in Arizona Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    I've been seeing these Waymo vans on the streets of Chandler day and night for the last year or so. As I understand it, this program is limited to a few square miles of some of the easiest suburbia you could design for a SDC trial. I'll let you know when I see one on the freeway.

19. tomatopaste

tomatopaste Well-Known Member

Highway driving is the easiest driving there is.

Waymo has 600 of these Chrysler minivans in Phoenix with more on the way. Let us know how that works out for you.

Attached Files:

20. RamzFanz

Their geofenced area is large and it's not a trial, they are live.

Well, to be fair, they have 100 and 500 more coming IIRC.