Way too much

So i decided to look at a few receipts from my past riders. Uber is taking major cuts without us realizing. So im going to post 3 pictures. One is a trip i did uber takes OVER 50% of the fare (w/o "tip").
The other 2 pictures is me chatting with support of the reason

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-18-10-50-05.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-18-10-50-05.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_2017-09-18-11-01-05.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-18-11-01-05.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_2017-09-18-11-01-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-18-11-01-26.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 93

Uberzoom

So i decided to look at a few receipts from my past riders. Uber is taking major cuts without us realizing. So im going to post 3 pictures. One is a trip i did uber takes OVER 50% of the fare (w/o "tip").

I said that in ome om my posts that Uber cut is above 50%. In one of my over 40 min trip they took way more than I received. If it wasn't for a $10 tip it was a waiste of time and gas. A pure loss in other words. Check out the fare details.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-18-11-30-04.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-18-11-30-04.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 54

negeorgia

Yes, higher Booking Fee and Service Fee is Uber giving themselves a raise. If the rider pays what the upfront price quote said; don't expect pax to complain. Uber charging a rider whatever they want to or 'because we can fees' is not the driver's concern.

Last edited:

STJ

This issue has been beat to death on this site already, the whole 25% commission arrangement essentially went away when they instituted upfront pricing. You are still paid the contracted rate (base + miles + time) (miles x surge if applicable) for transportation service from point A to B no different than before. The only difference is rather than the riders fare being determined when you ended the trip and based on how long and how many miles their fare is now calculated ahead of time based on what UBER expects the ride time and distance. While it does over estimate it also underestimates and if you look UBER also loses money on some trips, especially if there is like a recent accident on your route that their algorithm didn't see so the trip takes longer, you still get paid the $$ for the longer time which comes out of UBER's cut.

So yes on some rides they are making more than the old 25% and not "sharing" it but they are also not asking you to "share" it when it's a loss.

UberBlackPr1nce

This issue has been beat to death on this site already, the whole 25% commission arrangement essentially went away when they instituted upfront pricing. You are still paid the contracted rate (base + miles + time) (miles x surge if applicable) for transportation service from point A to B no different than before. The only difference is rather than the riders fare being determined when you ended the trip and based on how long and how many miles their fare is now calculated ahead of time based on what UBER expects the ride time and distance. While it does over estimate it also underestimates and if you look UBER also loses money on some trips, especially if there is like a recent accident on your route that their algorithm didn't see so the trip takes longer, you still get paid the $$ for the longer time which comes out of UBER's cut.

So yes on some rides they are making more than the old 25% and not "sharing" it but they are also not asking you to "share" it when it's a loss.
There wouldn't be a lost or gain to share if uber just charge per mile driven and take a traditional cut. Instead of just raising the rate they do this up front pricing garbage which benefits them more than the driver.

negeorgia

There wouldn't be a lost or gain to share if uber just charge per mile driven and take a traditional cut. Instead of just raising the rate they do this up front pricing garbage which benefits them more than the driver.
Yes, Uber gave themselves a raise on some trips. Then they share it with some drivers on the Promotions portion of the app.

The thing is its really bad tax wise. If a ride is charged $100. Uber pays you $50 they take $50. Well now your stuck paying a higher tax instead of uber.
The old way: If you made $75 on a ride your netting $50 and uber takes 25 percent. My point is they are running up our taxes and its going to be harder to determine whats owed. I calculated they took 36%+ cuts. Hopefully im over thinking this and someone has an answer.

negeorgia

The thing is its really bad tax wise. If a ride is charged $100. Uber pays you $50 they take $50. Well now your stuck paying a higher tax instead of uber.
The old way: If you made $75 on a ride your netting $50 and uber takes 25 percent. My point is they are running up our taxes and its going to be harder to determine whats owed. I calculated they took 36%+ cuts. Hopefully im over thinking this and someone has an answer.
If they do show the full amount pax paid on our 1099, that certainly does not make it taxable. Deduct Booking Fee, Uber Fee, Split fare Fee as always; now deduct Service Fee and Rider Fee as well. You only pay taxes on Ubers portion of profits if you do it wrong.

pjrxj

You can't be taxed on what you didn't get paid. Uber gets taxed more.

What is your complaint? Is it that you think you get paid less or that Uber is making more and rubbing it in your face by showing you?

STJ

You wouldn't pay more in taxes, for one it's not done by each transaction, two you only pay tax and your tax rate bracket is based on your adjusted gross income not your gross income. So in both cases in your example your adjusted gross income is still $50 and that's even before other deductions like interest if the car is financed, mileage deduction (usually the standard rate), insurance and any other costs.

You wouldn't pay more in taxes, for one it's not done by each transaction, two you only pay tax and your tax rate bracket is based on your adjusted gross income not your gross income. So in both cases in your example your adjusted gross income is still $50 and that's even before other deductions like interest if the car is financed, mileage deduction (usually the standard rate), insurance and any other costs.
Thanks for the explanation, i had worries because if you look at a restaurant owner they pay taxes before bills are paid: employee wages, electric, matainance, etc.
Looking at ubers cut being the miscellaneous before taxes i figured i would have to pay more in taxes.

STJ

Thanks for the explanation, i had worries because if you look at a restaurant owner they pay taxes before bills are paid: employee wages, electric, matainance, etc.
Looking at ubers cut being the miscellaneous before taxes i figured i would have to pay more in taxes.

The taxes they are paying are quarterly estimated tax's but at the end of the year they can then deduct their expenses (that are deductible) and just like an individual tax payer if they overpaid they get a refund. They pay quarterly taxes because if you end up owing to much at the end of the year you will have to pay a penalty to the IRS. Ideally when you do your taxes you neither owe anything nor are due a refund. If you get a refund you essentially gave the US government an interest free loan.

They are also paying taxes to local governments in the form of sales taxes collected.

SpeedyGonzalez11

If they do show the full amount pax paid on our 1099, that certainly does not make it taxable. Deduct Booking Fee, Uber Fee, Split fare Fee as always; now deduct Service Fee and Rider Fee as well. You only pay taxes on Ubers portion of profits if you do it wrong.

I do taxes
Imagine people who don't know how to. That's a lot of people paying ubers taxes.