Watching the Meat Puppets

Snowtop

I was sitting in DT St Pete last night waiting on the fireworks to end. About 10 cars with the app running during the show. Show ends and most get ride requests and off they go (no surge). 10 minutes later the surge hits 2.8 me and one other in the area. I pop on...10 seconds later I get my ping. $40 to me and home I go home in a little over an hour.

I guess some will never learn.

Arambling

I was sitting in DT St Pete last night waiting on the fireworks to end. About 10 cars with the app running during the show. Show ends and most get ride requests and off they go (no surge). 10 minutes later the surge hits 2.8 me and one other in the area. I pop on...10 seconds later I get my ping. $40 to me and home I go home in a little over an hour.

I guess some will never learn.
Nope it takes the Newbs a long time to learn to use the app to their advantage. We have the same situation in Indy market and I would guess all Uber markets suffer from these surge killers. We can only hope they join a group where they can read about how to make better choices to make better $$$.

CheesyMike

Nope it takes the Newbs a long time to learn to use the app to their advantage. We have the same situation in Indy market and I would guess all Uber markets suffer from these surge killers. We can only hope they join a group where they can read about how to make better choices to make better $$$.
It's best to let them lose money, realize they're losing money and stop driving. I used to chase drivers down and educate them, now I just leave it alone.

It's best to let them lose money, realize they're losing money and stop driving. I used to chase drivers down and educate them, now I just leave it alone.
Agreed I have been on this forum for a while now and I still do ok out there but I work my system and so far it works stop helping the new drivers they will fizzle out after they get used to making 200 a week for 40 hours

Chisox1125

People probably also think if they log in at the lower surge they have a better shot at the longer distant fares.

People probably also think if they log in at the lower surge they have a better shot at the longer distant fares.
Again you can't fix stupid I live in Bradenton and I watch some of the craziest shit on the rider app like guys driving 26 miles in a circle and still not getting a ride while I'm sitting at home eating popcorn better than a movie sometimes

Arambling

Again you can't fix stupid I live in Bradenton and I watch some of the craziest shit on the rider app like guys driving 26 miles in a circle and still not getting a ride while I'm sitting at home eating popcorn better than a movie sometimes
Do you make good part time bank in Bradenton?

rld0220

I just moved to New Tampa near Wesley Chapel and I sit home waiting on pings sometimes as well.. got one to the Airport on a 1.5x surge yesterday and made $40!!

I think I like my new neighborhood lol.. I used to live in Carrolwood and it rarely surged there and when I got a ride from home it was some old lady going to Target or something like that. Couple strippers going to Mons were probably the best rides I got from there.

Chisox1125

How is logging in at a lower surge in the belief that you have a shot of getting a distant fare stupid? Hell you can get a 3.5 surge and only make 14 bucks off the dang thing. It's about how much people can afford to spend on an Uber.

How is logging in at a lower surge in the belief that you have a shot of getting a distant fare stupid? Hell you can get a 3.5 surge and only make 14 bucks off the dang thing. It's about how much people can afford to spend on an Uber.
I do not disagree with you but it seems as soon as it starts to surge especially down here every driver comes out of the wood work. At least if you let it get above a 2.1 you get a sustainable surge for an extra ten minutes I'm no math genius but riders are getting smarter they can wait it out and get back to the normal fare in 5 minutes or if it rises then they will be forced to wait quite some time or take one at a higher rate it seems to be smart to me but what do I know

Chisox1125

I do not disagree with you but it seems as soon as it starts to surge especially down here every driver comes out of the wood work. At least if you let it get above a 2.1 you get a sustainable surge for an extra ten minutes I'm no math genius but riders are getting smarter they can wait it out and get back to the normal fare in 5 minutes or if it rises then they will be forced to wait quite some time or take one at a higher rate it seems to be smart to me but what do I know
Cause their trying to create the surge. Same thing happens here at Clearwater Beach. You'll see 8-10 drivers logged in for a good period of time then all of a sudden you see one then 0 drivers on the beach. Should easily cause a surge only problem is that the drivers on the other side of the bridge get antsy and make their way over the bridge eliminating any chance of a surge to happen.

Cause their trying to create the surge. Same thing happens here at Clearwater Beach. You'll see 8-10 drivers logged in for a good period of time then all of a sudden you see one then 0 drivers on the beach. Should easily cause a surge only problem is that the drivers on the other side of the bridge get antsy and make their way over the bridge eliminating any chance of a surge to happen.
That's what I'm saying it's not rocket science but as someone said a while ago would you rather take the 80c a mile or wait a half hour and hope to get the bigger fare all the riders are still going to there desired location it's a gamble either way. Down in Bradenton we are 95 cents a mile and I do drive quite often with no surge but being patient sometimes can reward you greatly and knowing your surroundings and market is even better for example

Attachments

Chisox1125

That's what I'm saying it's not rocket science but as someone said a while ago would you rather take the 80c a mile or wait a half hour and hope to get the bigger fare all the riders are still going to there desired location it's a gamble either way. Down in Bradenton we are 95 cents a mile and I do drive quite often with no surge but being patient sometimes can reward you greatly and knowing your surroundings and market is even better for example
We were at 95 cents it was decent, 65 sucked unless you worked surge only or banked on short fares, 80 cents well you gotta do what you gotta do.

We were at 95 cents it was decent, 65 sucked unless you worked surge only or banked on short fares, 80 cents well you gotta do what you gotta do.[/QUOTE
I agree with you sometimes you just have to drive to make your money I do as well down here but if I get the option to make extra money that I'm going to do it again it's about knowing your area and knowing how to work it for those of us that of been driving for a while understand those that don't will fizzle out it's just math it happens every day