WATCH: Uber Driver Confronted By Police After He Disrupts Sting Operation

BurgerTiime

In a video posted on YouTube Monday, a man who describes himself as an LA-based Uber driver who was just busted in what has been branded on Reddit as an "unethical sting operation" disrupts the investigation and quickly finds himself confronted by both undercover and uniformed police.

The man filming the video, whose face is not shown, begins recording from across the street. "These two people are the two individuals that entrapped me right here, and they're trying to do it right now," he says as he crosses the street, the camera focused on two people, a man and a woman, who are revealed to be undercover police.

"They're trying to get every other Uber driver and Lyft driver right now," the driver says as he approaches them. "Look at them, waving people down. The woman said ... her phone was out of battery and the guy said he had a flip phone and said he had cash," the Uber driver explains. "They're trying to catch all kinds of people."

BurgerTiime

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're not licensed to do Street hails. Don't do them.
They run crazy rampant here in Minneapolis. Some are blatant enough to even post visa/square stickers on the side window. It’s totlaly out of control like the Wild West and there’s ZERO enforcement.

Iann

I took the chance when we got a snow storm recently.

Guy was waving me down with a suitcase. Basically blocking me.
Got a $100 for taking him about a mile.

UberLAguy

I once tried to get a Lyft driver to drive me for cash at SFO but she refused. My phone was deaf, coming back from a trip. Now I know why.

peteyvavs

I totally agree with drivers getting tickets for accepting rides by being flagged. TOS states all rides go through the app, this was and is the agreement made between U/L with States for us to operate.
Also by accepting rides from flagged pax’s endangers all drivers of carjackings and physical harm.
Any driver who picks up pax’s by being flagged on the street should be deactivated immediately.

Initial D

A random pedestrian drew my attention by yelling at me when I was heading to a pax at a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) Station and offered cash because the pedestrian claimed something similar to the what undercover cop claimed. I told the pedestrian that rideshare drivers CANNOT accept cash rides at all.

I proceeded on to pickup the pax and apologized for the 15 second delay and told the pax what happened.

peteyvavs

A random pedestrian drew my attention by yelling at me when I was heading to a pax at a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) Station and offered cash because the pedestrian claimed something similar to the what undercover cop claimed. I told the pedestrian that rideshare drivers CANNOT accept cash rides at all.

I proceeded on to pickup the pax and apologized for the 15 second delay and told the pax what happened.
It probably was an undercover sting, good thing you refused.

jonsnownothing

are you allowed to give pax/hitchhiker a free ride?

Lee239

The part I find to be entrapment is that they say they are out of battery and the other phone is not a smart phone so they can't use Uber. Because they are also playing to people who may want to do good and help them out of a jam.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

are you allowed to give pax/hitchhiker a free ride?
Yes,

It's only once you accept pay that you cross a line.

Back to the original point...

In Florida for instance,

You are in violation of the "uninsured taxi" law the moment you accept a street hail.

Quite literally it's the same violation as if you bought a $15 taxi sign of the internet and stuck it on your car without any commercial insurance and started taking street hails.

The big deal is that if you get into an accident there's no insurance covering you for ANYTHING.

There's no one for anyone you run into or run over to sue either... except you. So basically no way to get any money.

Do you want to spend the next 5 years going to court losing every cent you ever had or will have, your car, and your life savings?

Don't do street hails...

Buckiemohawk

Without the apps, you are giving ride to total strangers without no trails, no records of who they are. What if that ex convict kills you ?
You want to get carjacked? You want some crazy person in your vehicle. I've done some street hails before and quickly realized my mistake and told the people to get out. The only difference is I have a camera in my car and a panic button. Of course, Ive gotten some Golden street hails before.... Semoran Blvd to Christmas Florida, 192/535 to Riverview, 536 to Lake Mary.... And usually i got into a fight with my bf type of stuff

MrMikeNC

Looking at the comments of the video, someone said who originally filmed it (the uploader didn't give credit). The actual person filming (who was ticketed by the same officers) says right here that thanks to this video that the case was dismissed.

RabbleRouser

Without the apps, you are giving ride to total strangers with no trails, no records of who they are. What if that ex convict kills you ?
That’s why most taxis have bulletproof partitions.
Uber Drivers are within easy reach and vulnerable to having their heads removed