Watch out for taxi loving cops

NVAlex

Last night got pulled over trying to pick up pax at Fremont. Cops gave me a ticket for not having hands free device. Phone was lying on my lap because my mount is broke. Then he lectured me on how uber and lyft have a problem because it's agains the law to have an app running while driving. Also that once my insurance finds out I drive for Uber they will drop me. Sounds like this guy is on the take from the taxi unions.

Freebyrdie

You can pick up a new mount at the uber office. It really is unsafe to drive with your phone in your lap.

SLAV4UBER

Your insurance wom't find out that you're an uber driver because you got ticketed using a phone while driving. If you are that concerned fight the ticket with a ticket attorney

The distracted driving law is a joke. Largely unenforceable (esp with window tint) and does nothing to prevent the accident that already happened because of it.

The problem is people forget that driving and paying attention to the road is the number one priority and focus on the phone for too long (it becomes their main focus) and then get in an accident because they took their priority off the road for too long. That can happen with the phone being on a mount, esp depending on the location of that phone mount. Pay attention to the road. Don't look at anything other than the road and the cars for longer than a few seconds, and each second is pushing it but if you are aware of your surroundings you should be able to assess the risk, take it or pull over

Last edited:

NVAlex

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Went to pick up a mount yesterday. Uber office is out. It's still BS. According to the cop, the app needs to be off and I need to pull over anytime I want to use it. Dumbass has no clue how ride sharing works and is oblivious to think that uber and lyft ate going away because of a stupid pointless law.

NVAlex

Driving with a phone in my lap is no more dangerous than driving with a soda in my lap or a hand on the radio or holdin my wife's hand. These stupid laws were made for bad drivers and it punishes the rest of us. Either you are a decent driver or you suck at it, no law will fix that.

Uberx Vegas

Went to pick up a mount yesterday. Uber office is out. It's still BS. According to the cop, the app needs to be off and I need to pull over anytime I want to use it. Dumbass has no clue how ride sharing works and is oblivious to think that uber and lyft ate going away because of a stupid pointless law.
I have 2cam munt. I use one for phone the other one for cam . I bought them at fryss 3 years ago.

SLAV4UBER

The only time I really don't have the phone in my lap or in my hand is when I have a passenger in the car because some of them will rate you much lower even if it's just sitting there. I never text and drive with a passenger in the car or do anything other than pick it up to look at the navigation and put it back in my lap. Sometimes the mount is not with me and I have no choice but to because when I'm looking at the road and I try to reach for my phone in the cup holder or anywhere else it takes a lot longer than just picking it back up out of my lap. I don't like taking my eyes off the road to look for it.

40k/mi a yr and not one accident and I spend every moment outside of having PAX in my car with my phone in my lap. It actually reduces my anxiety to have my phone nearby just in case I'm in traffic or waiting at a light for a long time with the construction putting tons of intersections back on timers

Demon

Last night got pulled over trying to pick up pax at Fremont. Cops gave me a ticket for not having hands free device. Phone was lying on my lap because my mount is broke. Then he lectured me on how uber and lyft have a problem because it's agains the law to have an app running while driving. Also that once my insurance finds out I drive for Uber they will drop me. Sounds like this guy is on the take from the taxi unions.
It sounds like you were doing things that were illegal and unsafe and the cop was doing his job keeping you and others safe.

Demon

Driving with a phone in my lap is no more dangerous than driving with a soda in my lap or a hand on the radio or holdin my wife's hand. These stupid laws were made for bad drivers and it punishes the rest of us. Either you are a decent driver or you suck at it, no law will fix that.
There is tons of research that says otherwise.

NVAlex

It sounds like you were doing things that were illegal and unsafe and the cop was doing his job keeping you and others safe.
I turned left on a green light at a 3 way stop and pulled into a taxi dropoff area to pick up a PAX. Phone was on my lap showing a map, was not using it. Explain how this is unsafe. Btw I'm former law enforcement

Demon

I turned left on a green light at a 3 way stop and pulled into a taxi dropoff area to pick up a PAX. Phone was on my lap showing a map, was not using it. Explain how this is unsafe. Btw I'm former law enforcement
If you knew the phone had a map on it, you were in fact using it, that's not open to argument. Using the phone diverts your attention away from the road. Your former career in law enforcement has what to do with anything?

NVAlex

If you knew the phone had a map on it, you were in fact using it, that's not open to argument. Using the phone diverts your attention away from the road. Your former career in law enforcement has what to do with anything?
Just so you know I'm not some cop hater. The map was the uber app. So how do you propose to drive with uber with the app turned off