• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Was Disactivated 4 Refusing a Pet who was not a service dog

yes or no is Uber instructing drive partners how to safely transpoet pets

• no

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • yes

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

givemewine1st

Uber seems to be going in outer space.
Montreal bylaws governing taxi public transport of animals state that a taxi driver can refuse a regular pet.
no reason is required.
however Montreal code says you can not refuse a service animal.
but there is an exception.
if the driver has a phobia or an allergy or a proven limitation than he can refuse a rider with a service animal
so I get a call from a rider I accepted who informed me there would be a pet. I explained no pets in my car. I drive my mother daily who is dog allergic and asthmatic . I inform the client I will cancel the ride with no cost to her. she was not happy. and then 30 minutes later the emails began and I was Disactivated. uber is in the twilight zone. thanks uber foe misinterpreting Montreal bylaws and for not thinking about adding a Pet pop up option. real smart . imagine now how many riders have been ill served because they wasted time finding a driver who agreed to drive both the rider and his 4 legged friend
imagine how many drivers have reached the pick up address where riders try to enter a car with their pets without the consideration of calling in advance.
imagine now all the complaints and all the uber drivers upset and some suspended or deactivated over a situation that could be so easily avoided that it makes me want to my.puke. puke how absolutely irresponsible that the largest cab company in the world did not add the following pop up question in the uber rider app "will your pet be riding with you today?" how hard is it to write that question into the app when the rider opens the app to order a ride? not hard at all replied to me an engineer who writes code. and imagine then the app would look for drivers who have been certified by Uber to safely drive your dog. but no. uber is in outer space and me I am activated because I refused to transport the guest of a app owner who had a none service dog. I give uber 1/10 0 stars

Last edited:

ShinyAndChrome

if the driver has a phobia or an allergy or a proven limitation than he can refuse a rider with a service animal
Glad to see some common sense in the law. Problem is uber needs to follow the law--they don't need, however, to only follow the law. Their policy can be whatever, and apparently it is.

I guess in this case honesty wasn't the best policy; just saying okay to the dog and then cancelling a couple min later would have been better in retrospect.

I recall reading in TOS that you only have to move service dogs and basically since it's hard to tell which ones are and which are not service dogs, uber cautions not to try and guess. But between the lines: if you are right, you're fine. Sounds like uber maybe was lied to by the pax and pax claimed it was a service dog (?). Or the person who deactivated you didn't know better.

givemewine1st

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad to see some common sense in the law. Problem is uber needs to follow the law--they don't need, however, to only follow the law. Their policy can be whatever, and apparently it is.

I guess in this case honesty wasn't the best policy; just saying okay to the dog and then cancelling a couple min later would have been better in retrospect.

I recall reading in TOS that you only have to move service dogs and basically since it's hard to tell which ones are and which are not service dogs, uber cautions not to try and guess. But between the lines: if you are right, you're fine. Sounds like uber maybe was lied to by the pax and pax claimed it was a service dog (?). Or the person who deactivated you didn't know better.
The rider was already refused by 1 driver. I was the 2nd. she called me 1 minute after I accepted the ride to tell me her mom had a pet

The rider was already refused by 1 driver. I was the 2nd. she called me 1 minute after I accepted the ride to tell me her mom had a pet
Uber assumes it can invent law as it goes along.
"I am the Uber Spirit. I command all uber service employees to kick them out faster than we hire them. no shortage of desperate suckers"

mrpjfresh

Obviously, things are different in Canada with no ADA. Did you still have to agree to an updated service animal agreement in your market a few months ago before logging in? If so, then it is Uber's policy that was violated, not your city's law, and they've got you dead to rights here.

As ShinyAndChrome says, honesty here is what really burned you. You are much better off in the long run though free of Uber and you need not worry about putting your mother's health at risk by driving around strangers for change. Best of luck to you.

givemewine1st

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
a company can write that it is allowed to kill you if it wants but if the clause infringes on the rights of a Canadian citizen then the corporation s position is illegal and in a Quebec court the company would be fined for infringing on a citizen s expectation that it can work without being judged for his or her limitations. furthermore it is black and white law in Canada in Montreal that even service dogs
can be refused if driver had a limitation in which case the dispatch of a company needs only send a driver without a limitation

Obviously, things are different in Canada with no ADA. Did you still have to agree to an updated service animal agreement in your market a few months ago before logging in? If so, then it is Uber's policy that was violated, not your city's law, and they've got you dead to rights here.

As ShinyAndChrome says, honesty here is what really burned you. You are much better off in the long run though free of Uber and you need not worry about putting your mother's health at risk by driving around strangers for change. Best of luck to you.
yes I will not return

AuxCordBoston

Montreal bylaws governing taxi public transport of animals state that a taxi driver can refuse a regular pet.
no reason is required.
so I get a call from a rider I accepted who informed me there would be a pet. I explained no pets in my car. I drive my mother daily who is dog allergic and asthmatic . I inform the client I will cancel the ride with no cost to her. she was not happy. and then 30 minutes later the emails began and I was Disactivated. uber is in the twilight zone. thanks uber foe misinterpreting Montreal bylaws and for not thinking about adding a Pet pop up option. real smart . imagine now how many riders have been ill served because they wasted time finding a driver who agreed to drive both the rider and his 4 legged friend
imagine how many drivers have reached the pick up address where riders try to enter a car with their pets without the consideration of calling in advance.
imagine now all the complaints and all the uber drivers upset and some suspended or deactivated over a situation that could be so easily avoided that it makes me want to my.puke. puke how absolutely irresponsible that the largest cab company in the world did not add the following pop up question in the uber rider app "will your pet be riding with you today?" how hard is it to write that question into the app when the rider opens the app to order a ride? not hard at all replied to me an engineer who writes code. and imagine then the app would look for drivers who have been certified by Uber to safely drive your dog. but no. uber is in outer space and me I am activated because I refused to transport the guest of a app owner who had a none service dog. I give uber 1/10 0 stars
Are you going to try to get reactivated??

Julescase

no reason is required.

Did they change their minds after finding out that your mother is deathly allergic? I would imagine any semi-smart company would immediately apologize to you and reactivate your account the very moment they found that out!

@@@@ Uber!

AllGold

I think it would be relatively easy to get reactivated if you want. Uber's policy is that you must accept service animals, not that you must accept non-service pets. Tell Uber she said it was a pet, not a service animal.

Pawtism

Even with ADA (here in the US) you don't have to take non service animals (I'm not aware of any reason why you wouldn't be able to refuse pets in Canada either). As this one wasn't a service animal, I'd make that the primary argument. Uber is very situational sometimes. If you're making the argument on the grounds that "you don't have to take even a service animal" all they hear is "service animal". I'd be pointing out that this isn't a service animal and even by Uber's own policy you are allowed to refuse a normal pet. That makes it easy for them to reactivate you easily.

Spotscat

First, I think it's really low of Uber to deactivate you because you refused to transport a pet.

I don't know the law in Canada, Quebec, or Montreal, however there is one little problem I see --

You stated that "...if the driver has a phobia or an allergy or a proven limitation than he can refuse a rider with a service animal", and later you state "I drive my mother daily who is dog allergic and asthmatic."

I can see where Uber would make a distinction between you, the driver, and your mother, who is essentially nothing more than another passenger. You're not refusing to transport the animal because of any issues you have, but because of issues your mother has.

And that, I think, might be the justification they need to permanently deactivate you.

I agree with what you did, and I'd do the same thing myself.

Best of luck to you!

Mars Troll Number 4

The problem is... the customer TOLD A CSR it was a service dog. That right there is all they need to say to get you fired. There's no nationally accepted documentation for service animals either.

Your best bet is to take them anyway...

There's a reason cabs get that "taxi smell"

Stale cigerrettes,
Month old spills
A little vomit,
Spilled beer,
Wet dog,

All are consituants to "Taxi smell"

If your going to use your car as a taxi, it's going to get funky, there's no avoiding it.

tohunt4me

no reason is required.
Pets ?
Instruction ?
What about passengers ?

Was 1 1/2 years before i got an uber sticker !

I think there was a 5 minute video i was supposed to watch 3 years ago.

Maybe i will watch it.

Anyone know where to find it ?

Time for arbitration with Uber. Time to sue the pax for false accusations.
Time for a damn UNION !

When is enough going to be enough ?

Pawtism

The problem is... the customer TOLD A CSR it was a service dog. That right there is all they need to say to get you fired. There's no nationally accepted documentation for service animals either.

Your best bet is to take them anyway...

There's a reason cabs get that "taxi smell"

Stale cigerrettes,
Month old spills
A little vomit,
Spilled beer,
Wet dog,

All are consituants to "Taxi smell"

If your going to use your car as a taxi, it's going to get funky, there's no avoiding it.
He/she is in Canada and while I don't know their service dog laws nearly as well as I know the US ones, I'm pretty sure they do have a (legit) national registry there, at least in most of the provinces.

I could be wrong or maybe that province doesn't (don't know for sure), but being Canada, it may be different up there.

UBERPROcolorado

no reason is required.
This issue has been tossed around forever, with the same outcome. Drivers either accept four legged riders or get deactivated. Period. There is no discussion, debate or defense. Be it fair or not, this is reality.

Drive safe.

Pawtism

You know, upon re-reading this, I have to wonder if it was a service dog. Why did service dog get mentioned really? Normally someone would say I got deactivated for not taking a pet. They might mention that it wasn't even a service dog to preempt the slew of "was it a service dog?" questions. But this driver went all into how in Montreal you can refuse a service dog due to allergies. Why? What does that have to do with anything if it wasn't a service dog. Then they got all bent out of shape about how uber is ignoring Montreal law. Again, why? What does that have to do with anything if it's just a pet.

I'd be upset that I'd gotten deactivated for doing something that uber's policy clearly says I can do (refuse a pet). That's not what we're seeing here. I did some checking into Canadian service dog law (mostly because I'm actually curious about it), and it seems that in some areas of Canada (the province laws seem to vary a lot) you can, with a doctors approval, get flagged as not able to take service animals for allergies (before people get ready to call their docs, keep in mind this is just in some parts of Canada, NOT the US).

Now there are some catches to it. First, your allergies have to be pretty intense (we're not talking simple sneezing here). Second, you have to get a workplace accommodation (with a doctor's permission) AHEAD of time per the laws I could find in Canada (after the fact doesn't count). Third, YOU have to the one with the allergies. Fourth, the company that has an employee unable to take them has to send another driver for the pax, and the employee with the allergies has to wait with them (with pax outside of the vehicle and driver still inside, obviously) while they do (for safety apparently).

So, as you can imagine with independent contractor situations, like uber, this isn't going to work (and is probably why uber's policy is that you have to take them no matter what, even in Canada). As the independent contractor, YOU are the company, thus you are the one who would have to send another driver. While I've heard there are "fleets" out there, most of us don't have "another driver" we can send. And perhaps most importantly, as someone else already pointed out, YOU would have to be the one with the allergies, not your mother, brother, cousin, or any of their former college roommates (sorry couldn't resist the Spaceballs line :p). If you aren't the one with the allergies, you're also not going to be able to get the doctors note that would have to be filed ahead of time anyway.

So, if this was in fact a service animal (and I'm starting to think maybe it was), then yes, you have to take it. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles (even in Canada). If it wasn't a service animal, and the post you gave here resembles the response you sent uber, then you can't really blame them for being confused. Don't mention rights that don't directly affect the situation at hand as it will just make for a deeper hole for you.

Bottom line, if it wasn't a service dog, then no you shouldn't have to take it and you need to make your answer to uber more clear. If it was a service dog, then yes, despite what you think your rights are, you do have to take it (per uber policy which DOES in fact apply for the reasons I listed above) and ultimately even by Canadian law (also for the reasons above). If you actually refused a service dog, then you kinda deserve to get deactivated.

I hope it was actually not a service dog and all the service dog talk was just you freaking out, if so you should be able to get it sorted out and reactivated.

empresstabitha

no reason is required.
I always record my calls if you have a recording of her saying its a per that would of been useful.

Agent037

:eek::eek:All it took me was 1 ride with a pax that had a dog. They stink up your car. And shed too much hair. Done accepting ppl with any pets. I dont care if it's a service animal, im sorry, but there are waay too many drivers Here in NYC that would gladly Take them. I can imagine the cheap ass mother f'ers requesting pool with a great dane and just requesting1 seat....
Pax:...: he's an animal not a person so that's why í only requested one seat,.. Besides he's a small dog, he can seat on my lap.!

NC252

no reason is required.
I had a pax with two dogs and 7 people and she felt entitled to get into my uberx Toyota Yaris with that nonsense....I said nope!!! Lock the door and kept going.....