• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Warning Uberx Drivers! - 40 fines and suspended vehichle registration given by Undercover agents

UberNow

Their might be a few ways Uber can minimize the risk for drivers.

Only allow 4 passengers for Uberx. I doubt the RMS would want to pay 4 times the amount of pay for each of their Inspectors just so they can go undercover and catch drivers.

I would also suspend the rating system, until this blows over. (if it does)

Perhaps an age restriction too??

Just some thoughts..
How does the rating system relate to the suspension?
Age restriction? What about it?

g00r

You get into one accident and that passenger will own your house. The liability falls on YOU! The driver. People don't get Uber doesn't have commercial insurance and is ruining an illegal gypsy car service. The passengers sign their right to sue Uber so that means they come after your ass! Have fun with that.
We have different laws here that prevent person injury and loss of projected earnings claims arising from road trauma.

SneakyPete

Getting suspended for 3 months would be the least of your worries. Much more troublesome is the Gst requirement due on the 1st Oct. Ato have the power to raid Uber HQ at any time for partner names to check on Gst rego.

After Gst rego comes payg thats pay as you go income tax. Rumoured to be 37% plus 10% Gst thats a whopping 47% or about half of your net weekly takings will disappear post 1st October.

There will be a general Uber strike in the US asking for better remuneration. Thats 3 days over 16th-18th Oct. They plan to assemble in front of Parliament House. Rumour has it there will be an army of Taxi Drivers with baseball bats waiting for them.

UberNow

After Gst rego comes payg thats pay as you go income tax. Rumoured to be 37% plus 10% Gst thats a whopping 47% or about half of your net weekly takings will disappear post 1st October.
Add fuel, maintenance etc, not worth driving, there'd be nothing left.

Instyle

Getting suspended for 3 months would be the least of your worries. Much more troublesome is the Gst requirement due on the 1st Oct. Ato have the power to raid Uber HQ at any time for partner names to check on Gst rego.

There will be a general Uber strike in the US asking for better remuneration. Thats 3 days over 16th-18th Oct. They plan to assemble in front of Parliament House. Rumour has it there will be an army of Taxi Drivers with baseball bats waiting for them.
Anyone thats been driving for Uber would have registered at least by Aug 1st, the BAS thats due shortly shouldn't be a problem for anyone?

g00r

Ato have the power to raid Uber HQ at any time for partner names to check on Gst rego
Why would a compliance officer bother leaving the comfort of his office to head to Concord West, when he/she could just initiate a data match report.

"Oh powerful ATO computer, run a report, on it, print the names and addresses of every person with 'uber b.v.' deposits in their account after 1 August 2015, then cross reference this with the GST enrollment registry. Send a fine to all the non-complying bastards!"
After Gst rego comes payg thats pay as you go income tax. Rumoured to be 37%
The tax scales are not a rumor. see https://www.ato.gov.au/Rates/Individual-income-tax-rates/ for fixed rates
thats a whopping 47% or about half of your net weekly takings will disappear post 1st October
I think you should consider Partner People to handle your income

sectokia

Tax isn't 37%, it's what ever your marginal tax rate is (if you have a day job, then probably 37% if you are already making over $80,000pa.

Of course it also means you can deduct all vehicle costs.

Also if you have to pay GST, it means uber has to pay you GST.

g00r

Also if you have to pay GST, it means uber has to pay you GST.
I'm afraid that is also incorrect and that's not how GST relationships work.

A farmer buys diesel for a tractor, and pays GST, but then sells vegetables to the service station where no GST applies.
A farmer receives a refund from the ATO and the service station pays GST to the ATO.
This situation defies your statement but is true none the less.
Uber DOESNT have to pay GST because it is not an Australian registered entity

anOzzieUber

The only thing Uber could do to help the drivers would be to provide an alternate car for 3 months until the suspension is over. This will be a big test for uber if they don't want to loose many of their good drivers... The lack of comment so far this morning is not great, I hope many more uber drivers go offline to demand some action.
Without blowing my own horn, Uber lost a lot of it's good drivers when they dropped rates not once, not twice by thrice! My last Uber trip as a pax was an embarrassment to the service Uber is supposed to provide with a driver who disobeyed many road rules and could hardly speak English!

anOzzieUber

If they announced it today, I would guess that letters were sent out either yesterday or today.
Incorrect.

You clearly don't know how the public service works. It would take about 10 bureaucrats to get such a letter sent. 5 to approve the letter, 1 to lick the stamp, 1 to approve that it is a valid stamp, another 1 to check the spitage on the stamp and finally 1 more to approve the expenditure on a the stamp. Total cost of fine and vehicle being off the road to the driver - hmmm around $3,000 for a hire vehicle - total cost to the state getting the car off the road - probably around $10,000.

Jeffa0

Just for those talking about GST and PAYG etc..

Gst = 10% of GROSS fare (Before uber take their 20%)
Uber Fee = 20% of the fare - You list this as an expense.

PAYG: There's 2 ways to look at this.. 1. You pay your self a cheapo wage leaving other money in the business account to cover business costs (what I do).
2. You pay yourself the left over full amount after costs, this will probably hurt on the longer run.

The individual tax rates are listed in links above, if your "business" makes "profit" at the end of the financial year, you're also then liable to pay 28.5% on that "profit" as well.
My advice is keep an eye on your monthly profit/loss and adjust your income to suit, but remember to take your GST and PAYG prior, find out from the ATO about your bPay details for your Integrated Tax Account and pay it either fortnightly or monthly.
You'd be surprised how fast a tax debt rises and if you can't keep up you'll be taken to the cleaners.

This is why partner people is handy, it's all done for you.. (I don't do it myself as I have multiple other businesses which all ties in).

-Jeff.

g00r

Jeffa0 Just wanted to clarify, in your example, you're talking about a registered company right? (The 28.5% tax rate)
Where as most people would be sole traders where their income tax rate would be dependent on their entire income

g00r

Thelma & Louise (T&L) Why? There are so many threads on this topic, and your comments are replicated to the sister threads anyway, so I don't think there is any risk of the topic being diluted

Blah

Where's Glados now in this conversation? Isn't he the cheerleader for Uber on this forum?... his profile says he is in Australia. lol

I guess you guys over there are starting your world wide strike early. Don't worry the people in the US is joining you soon.

UberNow

Where's Glados now in this conversation? Isn't he the cheerleader for Uber on this forum?... his profile says he is in Australia. lol

I guess you guys over there are starting your world wide strike early. Don't worry the people in the US is joining you soon.
Perhaps he's been fired for not being convincing enough?

hostertully

It's is important to note that these suspensions are NOT for Uberx, they are actually for incorrect registration of the car.

When you register your car you have to pick either business or private. As an uberx driver you have to pick business and pay a slightly higher rego.

Normally they send you a warning to move to the correct rego, seems they are being spiteful now and jumping straight to rego suspension.

TO AVOID SUSPENSION MAKE SURE YOUR REGO IS BUISNESS NOT PRIVATE. It's about $110 extra.

If you have business rego already, they can't suspend you.
I hope that is right (that the suspension is for incorrect rego type only). That would be a super easy fix to get around the Rego suspension threat. Uber should be sending out this advice really quickly to all their drivers about the rego type.

From the AFR:
http://www.afr.com/news/policy/uber-drivers-face-suspensions-in-nsw-from-thursday-20150927-gjw5q9

"Uber drivers in Sydney are facing suspension of their vehicles as part of the NSW Roads and Maritime Services crackdown on illegal ride-sharing.
The agency is issuing suspension notices against registered owners of vehicles found to be operating a privately registered vehicle for business purposes".

From Caradvice:
“The suspension notices have been issued to registered owners of vehicles found to be operating a privately registered vehicle for business purposes,” - direct quote from Peter Wells, RMS (emphasis mine).
http://www.caradvice.com.au/385935/nsw-uberx-drivers-cop-licence-suspensions-as-state-cracks-down-on-ride-sharing/

Registration costs
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registration/fees/registration-costs.html

Last edited: