Wanting to get a Tablet

UberChad

I am wanting to buy a Tablet (Android) to run my uber and lyft apps on. What do I need to look for or make sure it has so that I can use it instead of my phone for the uber and lyft trips? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Robertk

forget the idea- the app needs GPS and 4g/3g data/phone service. If a tablet had these features it would be called a phone.

If you want a big screen get a phablet.

UberChad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep and there are plenty of tablets that have GPS, and my car has wifi....

Uber48208

UberChad I'm not an expert in this field by any means and at this time, I'm only driving Lyft. That said, I use LG G Pad F 8.0 when driving and it works great... mount it with those InfinniApp Magnet mounts you'll read about in the technology section...

Anyhow, I have the tablet through T-Mobile. Haven't tried any others and can't "recommend" as a result...

scottiekgb

I use a rooted LG GPad 7.0 tethered to my cellphone, and run both Lyft and Uber simultaneously. Mounted to a magnetic CD slot mount. It works pretty well. I just started driving 3 weeks ago.

UberChad

I use a rooted LG GPad 7.0 tethered to my cellphone, and run both Lyft and Uber simultaneously. Mounted to a magnetic CD slot mount. It works pretty well. I just started driving 3 weeks ago.
Thank you everyone! Scottie, or anyone else piggy backing off there phones connection, (IE: tethering/hotspot etc.) do you have much problem with keeping a connection? Or issues with speed?

F213

Thank you everyone! Scottie, or anyone else piggy backing off there phones connection, (IE: tethering/hotspot etc.) do you have much problem with keeping a connection? Or issues with speed?
Depends on the carrier and dead areas. Other than that, no problema.

elelegido

There are no issues with speed on a tethered connection - Uber and Lyft work fine even on a 2g connection.

The main things to watch for on an Android tablet or phone are the processor and the amount of ram memory. Slow processor + low ram = laggy, frustratingly slow performance.

second2noone

do you want the tablet because the screen is bigger?

For me, my phablet works good but could also depend on what carrier you have. But if your car has wifi, then any of the tablets will work. I have a samsung tab 4 and works fine.

UberChad

Thanks! Ya I just couldn't seem to really find a Phablet option with Sprint. I did just locate my old Galaxy Tab 3 and that seems to be runmimg it fine. Screen is all cracked though, but its still works. Im gonna see how much a screen is and if its worth it I will buy and replace it myself

Last edited:

second2noone

Thanks, ya I just couldn't seem to really find a Phablet option with Sprint. I did just locate my old Galaxy Tab 3 and that seems to be runmimg it fine. Screen is all cracked though, but its still works. Im gonna see how much a screen is and if its worth it I will buy and replace it myself
It's cheaper to probably buy one instead of fixing the screen on the 3.

UberChad

Ya many times its cheaper to replace the phone and/or tablet then to replace the LCD, but I need to see what pricing I can get on the screen for this particular one. Sometimes it is cheaper as long as you can do it yourself.

scottiekgb

The only real issue I have had is the LG 7.0 (at least mine) likes to lose its GPS position several times per day for upwards of 30 seconds at its worst. As mentioned previously, as long as my cell has coverage, I'm mostly good.

elelegido

The only real issue I have had is the LG 7.0 (at least mine) likes to lose its GPS position several times per day for upwards of 30 seconds at its worst. As mentioned previously, as long as my cell has coverage, I'm mostly good.
There are a few LG devices with problematic GPS units. I had a G2 cellphone which was great, except for the GPS dropouts which made it unusable for rideshare.

Uber48208

My LG gPad F 8.0 is great with GPS however I do follow recommendations of both Lyft and Uber to quickly restart the device before I hit the roads each day. Once I do, I'm golden.

HotRodriguez75

I have been using a tablet (Samsung Note 8.0 - AT&T service) for the past year with minimal issues. Uber App sometimes doesn't show all of the graphics. GPS signal has been lost. These are minimal issues that happen rarely. Restarted the device resolves all of the issues.

In regards to tethering, I did attempt to tether a iPad, which from what I learned, AT&T blocks GPS data when tethering. I didn't take the time to troubleshoot as the iPad app runs in portrait and I could not force it to landscape like android devices

I also mount with a CD Slot mount. Anything in the window does obstruct your line of sight regardless. Back up is my phone, which I have used on a couple of occasions.

wfocustoms

AT&T does not block GPS data while tethering for me, i use an Ipad Mini tethered to my At&t iphone 6s plus with no issues works just fine