Waiting spots?

Hawaiianguy3

I'm curious where other capital region drivers hang out between rides. What do you do while you wait? I have a plug-in hybrid so I like to go to the Rensselaer train station. I plug in my car & bring my book inside to the AC & public bathrooms while I wait for a train to arrive or for a call from Rensselaer or downtown Albany.

BlueGem31

I haven’t worked out a method as of yet. So far whenever I’m in a pink zone area, I’ve been screenshoting it. So I can remember which neighborhoods seem to have the pink zones, so I can frequent them. And i set a timer for about 10 to 20 minutes, if I don’t get a ride I drive around and repeat.

Hawaiianguy3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good idea, noting the neighborhoods. Most times I get into a pink zone I end up sitting there for like 20-30 mins, until the zone goes away! Then I can drive around felt & still get the bonus, but it's still frustrating. Does that happen to you?

BlueGem31

I’ve had a pink zone about 4 times. One of those times I sat there for an entire 50 minutes, in Albany during rush hour. I didn’t want to move out the pink zone, because it was a $6.20 bonus, and I knew I’d make at least $10 with the lowest ride rate. I don’t move until I get a ride, when in pink zone. Today I waited 20 minutes in a pink zone, but I made $20 on the ride $16 fare + $4 bonus.
Post automatically merged:

I know people who say they are making 1k a week in the Albany area. However they aren’t being open about what they are doing. Today I made $157 driving 7am to 4pm (9 hrs) then 8pm to 9:30 pm (1.5hrs). So $157/10.5 hrs so $14.95/hr today. I lucked up with bonuses today and received 7 tips out of 17 rides.. I kind of think it just depends on luck mixed with method.

Last edited:

Hawaiianguy3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh man, tips. I get so few tips! But my ratings are great! I don't know what to do to increase them. It's probably bc I'm not a very good conversationalist. Any tips? (Pun not intended.)

I actually put this laminated poster type of thing in my car telling passengers that I have tissues & mints available, to please all me if they want ac or heat or windows open/closed, music preferences, etc... And that tips are appreciated. I get a lot of tips when I put that poster up, but I also get low ratings if I don't meet peoples' now higher expectations. So I don't use it anymore bc I need my ratings to stay up.

BlueGem31

Hi, I’m really talkative so I try to find a common interest to talk about. However sometimes I can tell that people simply don’t want to talk, so I don’t & tend to not get a tip. I’m pregnant and in-between jobs, and depending on the passenger i’ll Mention it. People like to feel like they are donating to a good cause. I’ve heard other riders tell me one of their drivers is driving to put his daughter in dance lessons.

So I’d mention to people “why” your driving. Try to make it seem like it’s for a good cause. Most riders will ask me how long I’ve been driving & that’s a open opportunity to tell them WHY.

I also keep my car clean and bought “blunt effects” oil spray air freshener in lemon-lime, I bought it at a gas station in Schenectady. Not I don’t do drugs, but it’s a strong air freshener that scent stays. I find air fresheners don’t even last a day, after a stinky cigarette smoker gets in my car.