• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Waiter Recognizes His Uber Driver

UberRey

So I'm being seated at a nice middle of the road steakhouse in my neck of the woods when my waiter, Rob, arrives with his eyes wide with joy. Hey, you're my driver!" he exclaims.

It's true that a couple of weekends ago I gave Rob a ride home from a late night party. He boasted about how he used to take the cab everywhere and always tipped big time, but nothing was as awesome as Uber. We had a good conversation, and he declared that I was the best driver he ever had. Ride ends, and he's out the door with fast. He doesn't even glance over his shoulder when he says, "Tip is included, right?" Baffled, but not entirely shocked I go about the rest of my life. Until now...

"Rob! Hey man. How's it going? I had no idea you were in the service industry. Do people actually tip you here?"

He's still smiling, but he's connecting dots...

"Oh, yeah", he says. "It's a pretty great job.."

Throughout the meal, there are light pleasantries, however he does not keep up with the water refills. Also, he completely forgets the bread that comes standard with every dinner here. Whatever. I'm pretty easy maintenance at a restaurant. Then comes the check. Rob is REALLY friendly now. He's tripping over himself about forgetting the bread. I just smile at him. I'm silent.

After paying, I write a little note in the tip column...I even took a picture of it to show you guys, but I had to swap phones recently. Pictures didn't transfer. Ugh. "The tip is included. Uber on!"

Eff you, Rob. Eff you very much.

LEAFdriver

Planing on doing the same soo to my waitress at pf chang. Min fare. No tip on lyft
Hmmmm. This might be a way to 'recoup my non-existent tips'. :rolleyes: I usually always tip 20%....unless there is major inattention by the server. I should pay attention to the restaurants that my uber riders work at.... go there, request their section...then sign the bill with: the tip is included, right? (and of course leave before they can correct you....like they do to us!) :rolleyes:

I love it! :biggrin:

Txchick

So I'm being seated at a nice middle of the road steakhouse in my neck of the woods when my waiter, Rob, arrives with his eyes wide with joy. Hey, you're my driver!" he exclaims.

It's true that a couple of weekends ago I gave Rob a ride home from a late night party. He boasted about how he used to take the cab everywhere and always tipped big time, but nothing was as awesome as Uber. We had a good conversation, and he declared that I was the best driver he ever had. Ride ends, and he's out the door with fast. He doesn't even glance over his shoulder when he says, "Tip is included, right?" Baffled, but not entirely shocked I go about the rest of my life. Until now...

"Rob! Hey man. How's it going? I had no idea you were in the service industry. Do people actually tip you here?"

He's still smiling, but he's connecting dots...

"Oh, yeah", he says. "It's a pretty great job.."

Throughout the meal, there are light pleasantries, however he does not keep up with the water refills. Also, he completely forgets the bread that comes standard with every dinner here. Whatever. I'm pretty easy maintenance at a restaurant. Then comes the check. Rob is REALLY friendly now. He's tripping over himself about forgetting the bread. I just smile at him. I'm silent.

After paying, I write a little note in the tip column...I even took a picture of it to show you guys, but I had to swap phones recently. Pictures didn't transfer. Ugh. "The tip is included. Uber on!"

Eff you, Rob. Eff you very much.
Ha ha!! Bet your waiter never forgets that.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

The whole tip issue is the third rail of UBER but I have been thinking along these lines for some time now (not tipping servers etc.). The past ways we have, as an UberX community, handled the tip issue have been mostly unsuccessful. A thumbnail recap:

Method #1) Pressure Uber to add a tip feature to the rider and/or driver apps.
Result# 1) EPIC FAIL. The anti-tipping culture is religion to this company. Father, son, and the holy ghost. It's CANON law, so anything short of federal legislation will not force them to change. (Bison assist with grammar police sp citation)

Method #2) Down rate Pins (I call them Pins, not Pax. Helps me suppress my urge to kick them in the crotch by thinking of them as inanimate objects instead of sentient beings).
Result #2) FAIL. Riders get ZERO ratings feedback so this approach cannot possibly modify their behaviour. Now, a low rating may tell the driver he's not getting a tip, but we know this already, because 95% of current pins do not tip. So if we down rate 95% of them, whom will we have left as customers?

Method #3) Use the Media to deliver this message.
Result #3) Very marginal success. Not for lack of trying, but people hate being "preached at" by the media and it is very hard to stay "top of mind". I mean with wildfires, drought, CHIRAQ, Kim K, abused puppies et al. People have a lot of shit to deal with so advancing our cause does not hold their attention.

The bottom line is, we need a new approach to changing the customer culture. We can't and most likely never will change Uber's corporate culture so we need to work on the customers. Using tip signs, or otherwise soliciting tips, exposes us to de-activation risk. A new approach is needed. It is drastic, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Here's what we do, We enlist our fellow service industry cousins to deliver our message. In this way we can all stay anonymous and activated. We undertake this guerilla-style "no-tipping" strike throughout the entire service industry. Restaurant servers, stylists, hookers, bartenders, valets, everyone in the service industry...NO tips. We just might motivate them to advance our message in order to help their own interests.

Step 1 - Write, draw, sticker "5 Stars" in the gratuity line.
Step 2 - Pen a short, explanatory message on the receipt back (or print some cards and leave them). Be creative, but the message needs to say two things, tip your damn drivers and please share this message on their SM accounts. Encourage them to actually take a snap of the receipt and post it on FB or Tweet it whatever.
Step 3 - Apologize, but advise them this campaign will not stop until we have evidence Uber/Lyft drivers are earning tips commensurate with the service industry.

Can you imagine the results if this campaign can go viral? Please, take action on this today. If you feel bad, you can keep a log of the people you stiff and pay them back later. I am not suggesting that we strive to eliminate the culture of tipping permanently. We simply execute a "tipping strike" until we promote a positive and measurable change. In this fashion, we can use the positive power of the people and the force of Social Media to bypass Uber's "The Tip is Included" BS. We also have very simple electronic payment methods for those "non-cash carrying" pins.
Respectfully Uber,
WIaF

Last edited:

Winkomo

The whole tip issue is the third rail of UBER but I have been thinking along these lines for some time now (not tipping servers etc.). The past ways we have, as an UberX community, handled the tip issue have been mostly unsuccessful. A thumbnail recap:

Method #1) Pressure Uber to add a tip feature to the rider and/or driver apps.
Result# 1) EPIC FAIL. The anti-tipping culture is religion to this company. Father, son, and the holy ghost. It's CANNON law, so anything short of federal legislation will not force them to change.

Method #2) Down rate Pins (I call them Pins, not Pax. Helps me suppress my urge to kick them in the crotch by thinking of them as inanimate objects instead of sentient beings).
Result #2) FAIL. Riders get ZERO ratings feedback so this approach cannot possibly modify their behaviour. Now, a low rating may tell the driver he's not getting a tip, but we know this already, because 95% of current pins do not tip. So if we down rate 95% of them, whom will we have left as customers?

Method #3) Use the Media to deliver this message.
Result #3) Very marginal success. Not for lack of trying, but people hate being "preached at" by the media and it is very hard to stay "top of mind". I mean with wildfires, drought, CHIRAQ, Kim K, abused puppies et al. People have a lot of shit to deal with so advancing our cause does not hold their attention.

The bottom line is, we need a new approach to changing the customer culture. We can't and most likely never will change Uber's corporate culture so we need to work on the customers. Using tip signs, or otherwise soliciting tips, exposes us to de-activation risk. A new approach is needed. It is drastic, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Here's what we do, We enlist our fellow service industry cousins to deliver our message. In this way we can all stay anonymous and activated. We undertake this guerilla-style "no-tipping" strike throughout the entire service industry. Restaurant servers, stylists, hookers, bartenders, valets, everyone in the service industry...NO tips. We just might motivate them to advance our message in order to help their own interests.

Step 1 - Write, draw, sticker "5 Stars" in the gratuity line.
Step 2 - Pen a short, explanatory message on the receipt back (or print some cards and leave them). Be creative, but the message needs to say two things, tip your damn drivers and please share this message on their SM accounts. Encourage them to actually take a snap of the receipt and post it on FB or Tweet it whatever.
Step 3 - Apologize, but advise them this campaign will not stop until we have evidence Uber/Lyft drivers are earning tips commensurate with the service industry.

Can you imagine the results if this campaign can go viral? Please, take action on this today. If you feel bad, you can keep a log of the people you stiff and pay them back later. I am not suggesting that we strive to eliminate the culture of tipping permanently. We simply execute a "tipping strike" until we promote a positive and measurable change. In this fashion, we can use the positive power of the people and the force of Social Media to bypass Uber's "The Tip is Included" BS. We also have very simple electronic payment methods for those "non-cash carrying" pins.
Respectfully Uber,
WIaF
Oh yeah I can imagine:

- in Vegas, BLACKJACK! Oh hey Mr. Dealer, tip's included, Uber On!

- at the golf course, hey u missed a spot on my 7 iron son, but thanks and the tip's included, Uber On!

- in the fancy men's room, hey sorry I kinda missed the bowl back there, but the tip's included, Uber On!

(please add ur own to the list)

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

Oh yeah I can imagine:

- in Vegas, BLACKJACK! Oh hey Mr. Dealer, tip's included, Uber On!

- at the golf course, hey u missed a spot on my 7 iron son, but thanks and the tip's included, Uber On!

- in the fancy men's room, hey sorry I kinda missed the bowl back there, but the tip's included, Uber On!

(please add ur own to the list)
Wink YES, lol. I obviously "missed a few bunnies" and am sure there are many more we need to add to the list. I'm going to have to carry an index card just to remember them all. Aw f*&k it, I'm an Uberx driver, I can't actually afford to go to any of these places. But we'll compile the list anyway for everyone's benefit.

Also:
- Masseusse, Thanks for the happy ending Miss and in your case I have already given you the Tip at the same time I was giving you the Shaft, Uber On! (Or we could just lump them in the hookers category maybe??)
- Doormen, Thanks for schleping my twelve cases of bottled water up 27 stories and stacking them neatly in the back bedroom closet of my apartment. Your tip is included in your salary correct, Uber On!
- Pizza Delivery Dude, Thanks for carrying this 40 lbs. box of food up to my second floor walk-up, in the 10 degree ice cold. I noticed you only slipped and fell twice. That's ok though, I probably won't complain to your manager as long as the food is still piping hot and none of the cheese slid off the pizza. And you got that $2.50 "delivery fee" so we good here, Uber On Bro!

And yet I feel there are some we are still missing?

Raquel

I did this exact same thing to a waitress who had the audacity to not only complain about tips BUT ALSO COUNT HER TIPS IN MY CAR...Never tipped in like 6 rides (she lives down the street from me too), so I payed her a visit at her restaurant (Hot Italian) and didn't tip her...I left her a happy face and a thank you for the 5 star service...sincerely your uber driver...Raquel...

Next time I received a ping and it was her I almost cancelled but decided to chance it..when she got in the car she suprisingly didn't say anything about the incident at the restaurant and was oddly quiet trough out the ride. I dropped her off...and bingo she tips me $10. Lesson learned eh!!!

Fuzzyelvis

Wink YES, lol. I obviously "missed a few bunnies" and am sure there are many more we need to add to the list. I'm going to have to carry an index card just to remember them all. Aw f*&k it, I'm an Uberx driver, I can't actually afford to go to any of these places. But we'll compile the list anyway for everyone's benefit.

Also:
- Masseusse, Thanks for the happy ending Miss and in your case I have already given you the Tip at the same time I was giving you the Shaft, Uber On! (Or we could just lump them in the hookers category maybe??)
- Doormen, Thanks for schleping my twelve cases of bottled water up 27 stories and stacking them neatly in the back bedroom closet of my apartment. Your tip is included in your salary correct, Uber On!
- Pizza Delivery Dude, Thanks for carrying this 40 lbs. box of food up to my second floor walk-up, in the 10 degree ice cold. I noticed you only slipped and fell twice. That's ok though, I probably won't complain to your manager as long as the food is still piping hot and none of the cheese slid off the pizza. And you got that $2.50 "delivery fee" so we good here, Uber On Bro!

And yet I feel there are some we are still missing?
Yeah we don't get that delivery fee you know...

I would say be very careful about not tipping someone who handles your food. Pizza delivery folks remember for sure. At restaurants that means you can never go back to that same place. Even if with the pizza or a restaurant you get a different server the one you stiffed last time will tell them.