• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Viewing passenger ratings

pizza guy

I know this was addressed a few weeks back but I wanted to know if anyone in the Chicago market can view passenger ratings.
I think we all know we lost the ability to view ratings so that we don't cherry pick and so there is no perception of ratings being linked to protected classes resulting in some neighborhoods being underserved.
I think we need to be able to view a passengers rating partly for financial reasons but more importantly for safety reasons.
In underserved more dangerous areas I am willing to pick up the 90% of riders with good ratings and pass on the 10% with poor ratings. Now that I can't view a rating the I turn down almost 100% of rides in questionable areas rather than take the risk. This does not just apply to the City of Chicago but also many small pockets in the suburbs that I know from pizza delivery are not safe after dark. Since we lost the ability to view ratings my acceptance rate has gone way down.
Currently the only information we have judge our safety on a pick up is name and location. Drivers receiving only that information almost ensures certain areas and demographics are unfairly discriminated against.

Let me know what you think.

Here a link to the story that got me thinking http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-uber-ratings-driver-passender-1126-jm-20151125-story.html

Last edited:

LEAFdriver

I think we need to be able to view a passengers rating partly for financial reasons but more importantly for safety reasons.
I agree! I am really getting FED UP with UBER'S Blatant LIES.....and at the very LEAST....INCOMPETENCE in giving us FALSE AND MISLEADING answers to our questions of why we are not seeing our rider's ratings anymore.

I was personally told....over 3 weeks ago....that this was a 'GLITCH' that programmers were working hard to fix. :mad:

LIARS. If not Liars....then INCOMPETENT and USELESS!

Every week the ratings remain hidden.....the lower my riders' ratings will get. But the only riders this will hurt....are the 'out of towners' that go back to their home cities....and find their ratings have taken a hit.

Why are we forced to rate riders if we get NO BENEFIT from it? So if they are going to be useless for Chicago Drivers....I'll help them be USELESS to UBER ALSO. :rolleyes:

TonyLo

Can't see pax ratings. I still think UBER was faking ratings because I had been watching them for a couple of weeks and literally every one was "4.7". Legally UBER doesn't want us relying on the ratings as a method of screening out riders -- It creates liability on their part if they represent the pax is 4.7 "safe" then he punches us in the face. They'd rather say we accept pax at our own risk.

SafeT

They have ratings on every ping in South Florida. Obviously the rider ratings are so bad in Chicago (crime central) that Uber gave up on the ratings system all together for that city. I hope you guys are good at dodging bullets up there.

veblenrules

The city prohibits drivers from refusing service if the app is on. Uber knows this. Low rate everybody. Uber won't knock any passenger off the app unless they're documented serial killers.

UberBeemer

I'm not sure a rating is good for knowing whether the rider could be potentially violent or otherwise risky. If drivers have been rating people poorly for not tipping, slamming a door, giving directions, wanting food, making additional stops, etc., pretty soon we'd have clouded the matter anyway. And a rating won't tell you if someone's destination is going to be in a dangerous area.

pizza guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They have ratings on every ping in South Florida. Obviously the rider ratings are so bad in Chicago (crime central) that Uber gave up on the ratings system all together for that city. I hope you guys are good at dodging bullets up there.
You probably also think we actually eat deep dish pizza. In reality we do eat a rediculous amount of pizza, but it's mostly a thin crust cut in squares made with thick flavorful sauce and usually topped with high quality (lots of fennel) sausage, mushrooms, onions and green peppers.

The violence of Chicago is the same misperception. Yes it exists and it is bad, but it is all concentrated in a few specific areas. The vast majority of Chicago is cleaner and safer than just about any city in the country.

One myth that is true is that the city and state are corrupt. I have a strong feeling the ratings situation is as much about corrupt politics and our recent ability to pick up at airports as it is about anything else.

pizza guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The city prohibits drivers from refusing service if the app is on. Uber knows this. Low rate everybody. Uber won't knock any passenger off the app unless they're documented serial killers.
The suburbs do not have the same requirement and with 70% of the metro population in the suburbs that is where the growth is.
Let's face it this is about politics.

75drive

When you say "underserved areas" I'm guessing that is politically correct for shitty neighborhoods / ghettos. I've picked up several passengers in "underserved areas" after dropping someone off and I've never had a problem and most have been really nice! I agree with Uber Beemer a passengers rating really doesn't tell me a whole lot being everyone rates passengers on their own criteria! Should a passenger become a problem I put them out and notify Uber as to what happened they always reply with a sorry this happened. I'm certain they don't do shit about it.

Attachments

veblenrules

When you say "underserved areas" I'm guessing that is politically correct for shitty neighborhoods / ghettos. I've picked up several passengers in "underserved areas" after dropping someone off and I've never had a problem and most have been really nice! I agree with Uber Beemer a passengers rating really doesn't tell me a whole lot being everyone rates passengers on their own criteria! Should a passenger become a problem I put them out and notify Uber as to what happened they always reply with a sorry this happened. I'm certain they don't do shit about it.
The official definition of "underserved areas" includes Bucktown, Lakeview and Hyde Park. Uber can brag all it wants about serving underserved areas but how often do you find yourself in Englewood, Roseland, North Lawndale or Austin? How many cars are deadheading to those areas because that's where the action is? What do Uber's stats show for those zip codes, you, know like 60607 and 60624 and the South Side zip codes?

75drive

The official definition of "underserved areas" includes Bucktown, Lakeview and Hyde Park. Uber can brag all it wants about serving underserved areas but how often do you find yourself in Englewood, Roseland, North Lawndale or Austin? How many cars are deadheading to those areas because that's where the action is? What do Uber's stats show for those zip codes, you, know like 60607 and 60624 and the South Side zip codes?
I don't find myself in those areas very often as far as how many people deadhead to those neighborhoods I'd say none with 100% certainty! You may have misunderstood my post I agree they are underserved but was merely stating that just because it's a bad neighborhood doesn't mean they're all bad people/ dangerous! I've never not accepted a request when I happen to be in those areas being I dropped off a passenger and was in the area. I don't go to those neighborhoods because they're "dangerous", I don't go because that's not where the money's at if there was I go a minute.

veblenrules

I don't find myself in those areas very often as far as how many people deadhead to those neighborhoods I'd say none with 100% certainty! You may have misunderstood my post I agree they are underserved but was merely stating that just because it's a bad neighborhood doesn't mean they're all bad people/ dangerous! I've never not accepted a request when I happen to be in those areas being I dropped off a passenger and was in the area. I don't go to those neighborhoods because they're "dangerous", I don't go because that's not where the money's at if there was I go a minute.
The point I'm trying to make is that Uber brags about the amount of service it's providing to "underserved areas" when most of these so called underserved areas are like Lakeview, Hyde Park, Bucktown. The city defines these as underserved areas but most folks are thinking about Garfield Park, Austin, Englewood, Roseland, Auburn Gresham. Some neutral investigator needs to ascertain how much Uber service is occurring on the South and West Sides. Remember that Uber is the outfit that claims that you can make good money driving X. Why take their word for anything?

But they will still use driver ratings to fire drivers .

Adieu

Underserved UberX, UberPool, and Lyft neighborhoods are actually usually the WEALTHIEST, due to issues arriving on time at gated communities, entitled drunkards, and doubts about the nature of rich types that order the lowest-end service available, and then never even tip...

If they wanted to hide race and class, they'd hide names or something