Video recording and consent in Tampa.

UberDrag Race

So I have some really great ideas for making money from this ride share adventure I go on frequently. My rides talk and have a blast I think I could have a lot of fun making this into a vlog. Keeping it SFW as possible what are the limitations with the state, county, city, and company. ..can any one point me in the right direction. This is to be a fun project and not profane. ...that would be on a different blog. Your minds, please?

CommanderXL

I'm only guessing, but I think in this case your vehicle would be considered public and it's perfectly legal to record pictures and video in public. Your passengers would have no expectation of privacy. However, to publicize and/or commercialize the recordings, like putting them on a blog or YouTube where there are ads, etc. you would probably need the consent of anyone identifiable. You would need all your passengers to sign something, which I doubt many would do. You should consult a lawyer before doing anything like this if you plan to exploit it.

Last edited:

UberDrag Race

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm only guessing, but I think in this case your vehicle would be considered public and it's perfectly legal to record pictures and video in public. Your passengers would have no expectation of privacy. However, to publicize and/or commercialize the recordings, like putting them on a blog or YouTube where there are ads, etc. you would probably need the consent of anyone identifiable. You would need all your passengers to sign something, which I doubt many would do. You should consult a lawyer before doing anything like this if you plan to exploit it.
ok so this is what i read, and this is for other s that might read this thread with similar ideas...

"...Florida's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Florida makes it a crime to intercept or record a "wire, oral, or electronic communication" in Florida, unless all parties to the communication consent. See Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03. Florida law makes an exception for in-person communications when the parties do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the conversation, such as when they are engaged in conversation in a public place where they might reasonably be overheard. If you are operating in Florida, you may record these kinds of in-person conversations without breaking the law. However, you should always get the consent of all parties before recording any telephone conversation and any in-person that common sense tells you is private."

- When a couple enter my car and start making-out and saying wild stuff in the back seat or a businessman is making a deal in passenger seat next to me, they can not hope for privacy because i can overhear and that, i believe is what makes it public (my interpretation). Looks like getting written consent is a good idea, but what about video consent? i'll have something posted saying the recording is our for safety. the cameras will be obvious. i'd be saying something like this..(and its actually not BS. i want cameras for my safety or justice if needed) "Good Evening, (name) [explain quickly that video is for our safety, but with partial (or mixed consent) or full consent, may be used in my blog]. May i have you and your parties consent to use this recording later? This would be better suited for late night and longer trips. Wonder how UBER feels about this? I'd hate to get lower rating because of something fun and entertaining. i have awesome adventures, i wish some of the stories i get could be recorded. Critique me please.. i love feedback.

..also, if i think or can tell someone does not want recorded, i simply will not bother them about consent and when i go over video to edit i can easily tag who is or is not available. if they ask about the cameras i will explain to them the safety reasons. i mean there have already been "UBER incidents" ... cameras keep folks honest, and record unbiasedly those who just do not care. CYA right?

really not

PUBLIC! REALLY! I don't think so. As long as you don't have Permits and licenses to drive as a Public Transportation provider you are not considered a Public vehicle... As it stands you are a Criminal Enterprise if you operate in Hillsborough County or any county or city where the local government doesn't want you. Go ahead, video me in your car and see how fast you loose everything you have worked for all your miserable life. That would be the response from someone that doesn't want to be video'd. DUH!

Snowtop

UBLIC! REALLY! I don't think so. As long as you don't have Permits and licenses to drive as a Public Transportation provider you are not considered a Public vehicle... As it stands you are a Criminal Enterprise if you operate in Hillsborough County or any county or city where the local government doesn't want you. Go ahead, video me in your car and see how fast you loose everything you have worked for all your miserable life. That would be the response from someone that doesn't want to be video'd. DUH!
Another disgruntled Stage Coach Driver heard from. Oh the times they are a changing.

CommanderXL

PUBLIC! REALLY! I don't think so. As long as you don't have Permits and licenses to drive as a Public Transportation provider you are not considered a Public vehicle... As it stands you are a Criminal Enterprise if you operate in Hillsborough County or any county or city where the local government doesn't want you. Go ahead, video me in your car and see how fast you loose everything you have worked for all your miserable life. That would be the response from someone that doesn't want to be video'd. DUH!
Oh, well if you don't think so then it must not be true. Look out everyone with a dash cam, you might "loose" (sic) everything to this guy! Lol

victorious52

So I have some really great ideas for making money from this ride share adventure I go on frequently. My rides talk and have a blast I think I could have a lot of fun making this into a vlog. Keeping it SFW as possible what are the limitations with the state, county, city, and company. ..can any one point me in the right direction. This is to be a fun project and not profane. ...that would be on a different blog. Your minds, please?
i have a lot of great videos, some people say it's ok to put it on youtube some don't, i am always recording, but i keep a log of who said ok and who didn't, what was funny or not, what time, what day. this way i don't go all crazy. tampa area seems to be opening up as far as uber/lyft and i think video is a great way to also keep a sort of witness just in case you get into an accident, or the passenger gets crazy. on several rides, i told uber that if they wanted to see my video of what happened they could, but they just seem to take my word for it, or don't care. if you are interested in seeing some of my videos i can give you a link

UberDrag Race

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i have a lot of great videos, some people say it's ok to put it on youtube some don't, i am always recording, but i keep a log of who said ok and who didn't, what was funny or not, what time, what day. this way i don't go all crazy. tampa area seems to be opening up as far as uber/lyft and i think video is a great way to also keep a sort of witness just in case you get into an accident, or the passenger gets crazy. on several rides, i told uber that if they wanted to see my video of what happened they could, but they just seem to take my word for it, or don't care. if you are interested in seeing some of my videos i can give you a link
Yes i think that would be awesome, thank you

mhhickma

If you keep having crazy passengers or incidents perhaps you should consider a different approach to how you operate.

tallnfla

Then actually you are saying that my car is my private vehicle as i can do with as I plz. I have a right to place a recording device and you already know I am driving my personal car which you agreed to get in.

CommanderXL

Then actually you are saying that my car is my private vehicle as i can do with as I plz. I have a right to place a recording device and you already know I am driving my personal car which you agreed to get in.
Don't listen to that guy. He's clueless. It's in public because you are on a public street and separately because it's in your car. It has nothing to do with it being a public vehicle or not.

really not

O
Don't listen to that guy. He's clueless. It's in public because you are on a public street and separately because it's in your car. It has nothing to do with it being a public vehicle or not.

Oh really! Your uber vehicle IS NOT a public vehicle as long as it is not properly licensed to transport paid customers (fares).

The point is whether or not his vehicle is private or public. IT IS PRIVATE. Period. If you video me without my permission and publish it I own you. If you video me in a public place and publish it not much I can say other than ask not to be video taped. Then beat the hell out of your recording device. :smiles:

Last edited:

really not

JUST TO CLEAR THE AIR on eh quote:

....That would be the response from someone that doesn't want to be video'd. DUH!.....

Not necessarily my response.