Video of self driving car hitting pedestrian- police tweet

TahoeAl

SDC is machine and don't have emotion. Looks like death could be avoid with high beam on, if careful human being drove the car. I also wonder why lady couldn't see the car with light on comming.
My night vision cam was able to capture my foot in a pitch black room.

Capture.PNG

The pedestrian is at fault. However, the technology was supposed to be smart enough to recognize objects in the dark. Clearly this car failed to take any corrective action. As I look at the video it looks like somewhere between 2 to 4 seconds when the shoes are first visible to the point of impact.

Last edited:

Jayjay9317

The pedestrian is at fault. However, the technology was supposed to be smart enough to recognize objects in the dark. Clearly this car failed to take any corrective action. As I look at the video it looks like somewhere between 2 to 4 seconds when the shoes are first visible to the point of impact.
I think if i was in the car, i could spot her earlier and avoid to hit her. But I could be out of road and hit the tree or object and get hurt or die. the reaction of SDC is really useless. Anyway the lady was at fault but I feel sorry for her.

New2This

I just saw a story that the guy operating the sdc was a twice convicted felon of armed robbery.
Not necessarily 'a guy' anymore...

From the article:

"Vasquez attempted to rob a Blockbuster video store with an imitation firearm.

At the same time, Vasquez was convicted of unsworn falsification committed in 1999, meaning she made a false statement to a public officials, and received a concurrent one year sentence.

At the time she was known as Rafael and identified as male. It is not known when she transitioned to female.
"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Felon-wheel-killer-self-driving-Uber-car.html

4A61202200000578-0-image-m-2_1521569000665.jpg

tohunt4me

From the article:

At the same time, Vasquez was convicted of unsworn falsification committed in 1999, meaning she made a false statement to a public officials, and received a concurrent one year sentence.

At the time she was known as Rafael and identified as male. It is not known when she transitioned to female.
"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Felon-wheel-killer-self-driving-Uber-car.html

View attachment 216112
Prison
Awakened the woman in her.

KPax

Shit happens.

SDC aren't ready for the streets. Many drivers aren't, either

What this incident shows is that "technology" is at least as bad as human conduct.

It won't be better in 20 years, or ever.

tohunt4me

From the article:

"

View attachment 216112
Put Blockbuster out of business

Now Uber.

Rafael( la) = bad for business

Easy 1 star

From the article:

"

View attachment 216112
Lol. If it walks like a duck...

chinook101

I wonder how the citizens of Tempe, AZ feel know they're getting into a SDC with an armed robber, who doesn't have to pay attention to the road while he/she empties your pockets.

TahoeAl

The huge issue is what the SDC did and did not do. And to a small degree what the driver was doing. So not to turn this into a political discussion about individuals that served their time, "BUT what type of work should an ex cons be allowed to perform once they are released. Because if they don’t find work, guess what happens next. (I don’t expect an answer).

Last edited:

yankdog

The huge issue is what the SDC did and did not do. And to a small degree what the was doing. So not to turn this into a political discussion about individuals that served their time, "BUT what do you want with ex cons once they are released. Because if they don’t find work, gusss what happens next. (I don’t expect an answer).
You mean what will we do as a society when the lower wage entry and reentry level jobs are automated and without training what will ex cons do for work to reintegrate into society?

TahoeAl

You mean what will we do as a society when the lower wage entry and reentry level jobs are automated and without training what will ex cons do for work to reintegrate into society?
Sorry typing and posting to fast. but yes, corrected above.

kdyrpr

I would have seen the white sneakers and swerved out of the way, assuming my eyes were on the road (which they are not always). I have absolutely no doubt. I think most human drivers would have successfully avoided this obstacle. Uber choked here.
The first reaction is to slam the breaks. Swerving violently to the left could put the drivers car in danger depending on the speed. If brakes were used the instance the bicycle came in view it's still possible that a collision would of occurred, however the vehicle would have slowed enough I believe to prevent it from being a fatality.

yankdog

Sorry typing and posting to fast. but yes, corrected above.
I have lots of thoughts on this one but I think I will just wait to see how the libertarians and anti-govt free market crowd handles it. Good question I'd love to hear how Trump supporters in the rust belt and coal fields answer this question given the impact automation has had on them for decades while they were told it's their fault for not transitioning to other jobs or failing to get help from the Church.

I'm sure all the ex cons will pay to go to at least 2 year college to get trained to work as a Medical tech at 40-50 years of age while eating at soup kitchens at the local Baptist or AME Church.

Nats121

The huge issue is what the SDC did and did not do. And to a small degree what the driver was doing. So not to turn this into a political discussion about individuals that served their time, "BUT what type of work should an ex cons be allowed to perform once they are released. Because if they don’t find work, guess what happens next. (I don’t expect an answer).
That's a downside of all the background checks being done now. Many businesses refuse to hire ex-cons.

We as a society need to turn ex-cons into law abiding productive citizens who won't return to a life of crime.

I have lots of thoughts on this one but I think I will just wait to see how the libertarians and anti-govt free market crowd handles it. Good question I'd love to hear how Trump supporters in the rust belt and coal fields answer this question given the impact automation has had on them for decades while they were told it's their fault for not transitioning to other jobs or failing to get help from the Church.
I'm a free market libertarian for the most part, and libertarians are saying that automation has always eliminated some jobs, but new jobs opened up as a result.

That may have been true then, but I'm not so sure it'll be true now.

Uberfunitis

An x con should not be some kind of protected class. I can completely understand why a consumer and a company would not want to put someone who has a history of taking advantage of a situation to do wrong as defined by society, into a position of trust such as someone that you may be alone with at night in a secluded location.