• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Video of self driving car hitting pedestrian- police tweet

Jayjay9317

It's not clear, but it is disturbing:

https://twitter.com/TempePolice/status/976585098542833664

The person behind the wheel had their eyes off rhe road for a moment... There seemed to be no time to react. Isn't that why they wantes self-driving cars? To take out human error and minimize the likelihood of accidents?
It is not perfect yet, but it will be soon. I don't think it's going to be that hard with technology we have.

Another Uber Driver

Technology won't delay SDC, local politics will.

.............and the TNCs will go over the localities' heads and make "arrangements" with the state legislatures to thwart the will of the people of those jurisdictions. They did it in Texas, despite the expressed will through plebiscite of the Good Voters of Austin (this was not over the self-drivers, but it was over local requirements for the presence of TNCs). It should be up to the people in a locality what they want and do not want on their streets.

with SDC, their will be no DUI or any tickets for us?
Whatever will some of these places do for revenue if THAT happens?

One of the reasons that there is a requirement for a human monitor, still, is a situation such as this. The guy was not on his J-O-B. The results were predictable.

yankdog

.............and the TNCs will go over the localities' heads and make "arrangements" with the state legislatures to thwart the will of the people of those jurisdictions. They did it in Texas, despite the expressed will through plebiscite of the Good Voters of Austin (this was not over the self-drivers, but it was over local requirements for the presence of TNCs). It should be up to the people in a locality what they want and do not want on their streets.

Whatever will some of these places do for revenue if THAT happens?

One of the reasons that there is a requirement for a human monitor, still, is a situation such as this. The guy was not on his J-O-B. The results were predictable.
Eventually they will that is politics, stating the obvious . But it won't be in the near future IMO

Bart McCoy

Did anyone else notice that there was zero reaction from the SDC.
?
he reacted, right before he hit the pedestrian
but looks like he reacted as soon as he noticed someone was in front of them
sure seemed pretty dark out there
and yeah the driver may have been looking down or doing something else but I mean, he wasn't driving, the car was
Looks like Uber's sensors should have picked that up tho

TahoeAl

?
he reacted, right before he hit the pedestrian
but looks like he reacted as soon as he noticed someone was in front of them
sure seemed pretty dark out there
and yeah the driver may have been looking down or doing something else but I mean, he wasn't driving, the car was
Looks like Uber's sensors should have picked that up tho
That is what I thought. I was reading somewhere that the technology would be able to see better than a human in the dark.

The Gambler

I would have seen the white sneakers and swerved out of the way, assuming my eyes were on the road (which they are not always). I have absolutely no doubt. I think most human drivers would have successfully avoided this obstacle. Uber choked here.

New2This

I would have seen the white sneakers and swerved out of the way, assuming my eyes were on the road (which they are not always). I have absolutely no doubt. I think most human drivers would have successfully avoided this obstacle. Uber choked here.
Mark this date in history. I agreed with MulletHead

Kawiz03

To be fair this ia why places like College Park have fences between the roads because too many "smart" students would get drunk and dart across the street like Deer its sad someones life ended like this but at some point we need to take responsiblity for our own stupidity

Bart McCoy

If the visibility was the way it was looking at the video, I don't see how you could. It was dark, if my headlights didn't catch a shine on him, I probably wouldn't have seen him until the last minute, just like how the pedestrian only came into view a sec before crash. Either way, pedestrian would have never died if they simply looked before crossing the street. Think about it, how do you NOT see a truck coming with its headlights on at night? at night all you would see is light coming at you. that means don't cross in my book

but at some point we need to take responsibility for our own stupidity
THIS
and not expect people to save you when you do your own stupidity.
Not trying to shame the victim, but at what point do you simply say , hey, this could have all been avoided if you just used some basic common sense(to look before you cross)

Jayjay9317

Did anyone else notice that there was zero reaction from the SDC.
SDC is machine and don't have emotion. Looks like death could be avoid with high beam on, if careful human being drove the car. I also wonder why lady couldn't see the car with light on comming.

Bart McCoy

SDC is machine and don't have emotion. Looks like death could be avoid with high beam on, if careful human being drove the car. I also wonder why lady couldn't see the car with light on comming.
that as well. Its night time. How could you not see lights? Well, I guess when you cross the road and refuse to look, it may be easy not to see lights

Chapindc

Fuber knows a ballpark # of ppl they're going to kill through sdc's & oops, it must b ok, I'd like to know how many times this driver kept the fuber car from killing ppl before this lenghty neglect of paying attention & I bet it wasn't just a few times