1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Video: Defending yourself in your car

Discussion in 'Advice' started by RightTurnClyde, Dec 19, 2015.

1. RightTurnClyde

RightTurnClyde Well-Known Member

Just a quick video I saw on defending yourself in a Rideshare situation as a driver. Good tips. Thought I'd share, or add more tips if you got em; safe travels all...

5:48 min

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  2. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Prevention is primary, correct? In that case, the driver should not have allowed the passenger to sit directly behind him. That is something that the veterans have told rookie cab drivers for years. If a single passenger sits directly behind you, that is a hint of possible trouble. There are exceptions for the passenger who gets in on the left side because the address or the place from which he was hailing is on the left side of a one-way street. Even then, though, as I keep the right front seat pushed all the way forward, I invite the passenger to slide to the right, as he has more room there, the credit card terminal is there and odds are that he will need to disembark from the right side, anyhow. If the passenger balks, I consider that a warning sign and take appropriate action, up to and including refusal to transport. It is the same if you have two passengers and one sits in the front and one directly behind you. If both sit in the back, you do not have much choice other than to allow one to sit directly behind you.

The idea about seat belts for the passenger is not bad. In fact, when driving TNC here, as the police consider the TNC to be a private vehicle, and, the primary seat belt law here holds the driver responsible for his passengers, I do require the passengers to buckle the thing when I drive UberX. In the taxi, as it is presumed to be under the direction (not control, but direction) of the passenger, the police will hold the passenger responsible for failure to use his seat belt. In the District of Columbia, between the hours of 1800 and 0600, when carrying a passenger or pulling to the kerb to pick up a passenger, the taxi driver is exempt from using his seat belt.

Other than that, I do like the suggestions for protection against strikes and choking. .......an informative video that could benefit from a little editing.......

RightTurnClyde likes this.