Victoria flags going it alone on gig workers

Jack Malarkey

(Paywall in place)

Financial Review:

EXTRACT:

Victoria flags going it alone on gig workers

Patrick Durkin, BOSS Deputy Editor

May 7, 2019 — 4.41 pm

The Victorian government has flagged it is willing to go it alone on minimum pay and conditions for workers in the gig economy, despite receiving close to 100 submissions to an inquiry which are deeply divided.

The state Labor government pointed to a submission by the Transport Workers Union – planning nationwide protests against Uber on Wednesday – that claims three-quarters of people working in the gig economy are being paid less than the minimum wage.

Last edited:

Kick poor Ant in guts

The common thing I hear is how much of a loss Uber is making, yet the optics don't reflect big losses. Where's the overheads? The San Fran HQ is stuffed with underpaid millennial geeks, a few hundred GLHs, lots of marketing, a call centre and a pretty big IT infrastructure spend. The other side of that is over 2,000,000 drivers giving Uber between 15 and 30% of what they make. Thely way Uber is losing money is executive salaries/bonuses/perks are bleeding it dry.

yogi bear

The common thing I hear is how much of a loss Uber is making, yet the optics don't reflect big losses. Where's the overheads? The San Fran HQ is stuffed with underpaid millennial geeks, a few hundred GLHs, lots of marketing, a call centre and a pretty big IT infrastructure spend. The other side of that is over 2,000,000 drivers giving Uber between 15 and 30% of what they make. Thely way Uber is losing money is executive salaries/bonuses/perks are bleeding it dry.
my guess is uber is raking it in while still declaring a tax loss, like in aus here most of the profits are sent overseas as a 'licensing fee' so on paper they make little profit, as it has all been exported to evade tax.

now they've got to signal to the stock market that this is indeed the case, they are indeed a profit making concern, whilst still making a tax loss.

I thing thats what the $18000 payment to all* the drivers was about

*sarcasm

Immoralized

my guess is uber is raking it in while still declaring a tax loss, like in aus here most of the profits are sent overseas as a 'licensing fee' so on paper they make little profit, as it has all been exported to evade tax.

now they've got to signal to the stock market that this is indeed the case, they are indeed a profit making concern, whilst still making a tax loss.

I thing thats what the $18000 payment to all* the drivers was about

*sarcasm
Less then 150 drivers got the $14 000 and for anyone that did 20 thousand trips was a few forum member on here quite happy to have received a "top up". It is a bonus and it a nice one but I don't think I'll ever for the life of me reach twenty thousand trips :redface:

To get even 5000 trips for me I calculated it a bit over 200 000km. So twenty thousand KM you are always pushing a million KM on the vehicle. I would of burned through one vehicle and be on the next which will most likely be on it way out as well :biggrin: Just the tiny things on it all failing bit by bit adds up quite a bit as the major components on the vehicle pretty much last forever and the day with little work needed. Everyone around it breaks though quite easily.

Over in America though got quite a number of drivers that have done over 40 thousand trips. Who said americans are not hard workers :eek: Those guys clocked over a million miles easy.

Scottie B

No, we are employees, who are being exploited by a practice known as 'sham contracting' so that uber don't have to pay us superannuation.

Contractors set their own rates, we don't.
Well if you’re an employee please show us your EBA, Uber drivers are contractors under the current arrangements.

KissMyHybrid

Why doesn't everyone realise that most drivers are fine with getting paid peanuts.

This will probebly kill rideshare as we know it, which is what the TWU want.
Post automatically merged:

Not really peanuts for those who know how to play the game. I average the equivalent of casual work rates (and than some on better weeks) Ola/Didi/Uber. I do other things so the flexibility suits me.

What i’d really like them to do is put a cap on the number of drivers as well as the minimum paid per km (to the driver) but they should not mess with anything else. Super is our business.

Don’t be fooled, TWU ultimately represent taxi drivers and they are aiming to kill rideshare. Most drivers i know would like nothing to do with the TWU and would prefer they stay the hell out of our business.

And to all the drivers who keep crying about safety and poor working conditions i say get a freaking grip, you are IN THE TAXI INDUSTRY. Want more safety in your workplace go work in a kindergarten.

P.s.
I strongly support USA drivers in thier fight. They have no better alternatives over there like we do, they’ve had thier rates cut by 25% and surge stolen. Our situation here in Vic is quite different.

Last edited:

Vegeta09

Well if you’re an employee please show us your EBA, Uber drivers are contractors under the current arrangements.

Sham contractors. Plain and simple.

If we were real contractors (which we're not)
- We could set our own rates (we can't, our employer in uber sets the rates)
- We could find our own work (we can't, we have to rely on our employer in uber to give us work)
- We could quote jobs before choosing to do them (we can't, our employer in uber does the quoting)

Hopefully, with state government intervention, and Shorten taking power in federal government, the Labor party can force uber to pay minimum wage and superannuation, before the cancer spreads through the rest of the workforce, making employee benefits a thing of the past.

Sleepo

- We could find our own work (we can't, we have to rely on our employer in uber to give us work)
- We could quote jobs before choosing to do them (we can't, our employer in uber does the quoting)

Hopefully, with state government intervention, and Shorten taking power in federal government, the Labor party can force uber to pay minimum wage and superannuation, before the cancer spreads through the rest of the workforce, making employee benefits a thing of the past.
Contractors are subject to what industry wants to pay, in most cases , take transport for example, the company tells the contractor what they are willing to pay, (sure you can try and negotiate), if you don't like it, then you don't accept it and go elsewhere, uber is just the same , they have given you a rate, if you don't like it go elsewhere.
In Victoria it seems you can find your own work, (in QLD, we have to have a Booking licence and tamper proof CCTV installed)
Imagine if Minimum wage was introduced, you would be forced to do every trip, you may have to do specific shifts, or uber may block ants trying to log on because they already have enough online.
Independent contractors have always paid their own super, as do most small business owners.

KissMyHybrid

“Sham contracting” was the case in the days when they used to penalise us for cancelations and low acceptance rates shutting access to the app for 20 minutes. We had only Uber back then. We now have a choice of operators and can reject or even cancel (within reason) trips. I do it all the time when a better fare shows up on Didi or Ola.

As for price setting. Contracted doctors in a private hospital don’t have a say on price either. Same goes for contracted painters etc. they have the choice of not accepting the job if the price is not suitable and contract for the other better paying company.

Yes we used to be sham contractors but it all changed when Uber changed the acceptance/cancelation policy. FWO investigation has alot to do with that. Drivers should be paid all employment entitlements up to that point but we’ve been full contractors right after the policy was changed.

I know you don’t like to hear that but it is what it is.

What we really have here now is a very unfair contract and somthing the ACCC should look into asap. Anyone can file a complaint with the ACCC, I did. You’re much better off putting your energy that direction.

Last edited:

Immoralized

“Sham contracting” was the case in the days when they used to penalise us for cancelations and low acceptance rates shutting access to the app for 20 minutes. We had only Uber back then. We now have a choice of operators and can reject or even cancel (within reason) trips. I do it all the time when a better fare shows up on Didi or Ola.

As for price setting. Contracted doctors in a private hospital don’t have a say on price either. Same goes for contracted painters etc. they have the choice of not accepting the job if the price is not suitable and contract for the other better paying company.

Yes we used to be sham contractors but it all changed when Uber changed the acceptance/cancelation policy. FWO investigation has alot to do with that. Drivers should be paid all employment entitlements up to that point but we’ve been full contractors right after the policy was changed.

I know you don’t like to hear that but it is what it is.

What we really have here now is a very unfair contract and somthing the ACCC should look into asap. Anyone can file a complaint with the ACCC, you’re better off putting your energy that direction.
ACCC? You kidding right :eek: they barely have the energy to post on this forum let alone going through the process of filing an official complaint. That be actual work for starters. Most are allergic to work it is the reason why a lot just complain :redface: doing anything else actually requires work.

Anyone of these tens of thousands of drivers can file a court case in the supreme court or do anything else then whine but choose not to. Push come to shove. Nothing happens. Easier to get on a computer and cry.