Vetting PAX to make sure they are at least 18

uber strike

don't know how it would be enforced, user would lie, to bypass all that anyway.
yes user would lie. uber does not make an effort on ensuring user's true identity. this puts the driver at risk. you are now liable if you give a ride to a minor, not uber.
uber covered their ass in the terms and conditions while sending you requests to pick up minors and leaving you vulnerable to any and all liability.

Deric

Like any online purchase of age restricted products they'd have to scan a valid ID. It's not foolproof but it's a step in the right direction. It'd also have the added benefit of making creating a new account harder for non-tippers
I can see something like that..ID scan to start trip. No ID..No service. Change their app to use square card reader etc..

Adieu

I sense opportunity: whenever you cqncel somebody oberlyblatantly and rudely, just report-accuse them of being an unaccompanied minor (add "/riding on account" to dodge atrenpts to easily dispute)

HotRodriguez75

I have mastered screening for under 18 riders.
  • Check address in known under 18 areas
  • Check address during high demand under 18 times
  • Screen if name is all lower-case
  • Screen if name is all upper-case
  • Screen if millennial name (Brock, Ava, Kyrie, Kendall, etc)
Unfortunately, you sometimes you bite the bullet and have to come face to face with them youngins. Reactions range from tears (you can't give me a ride, wah!, all other Uber drivers give me a ride, or I am calling my mommy.

Sorry, ride is not happening, gas pedal.....

mghtyred

PROCEDURE FOR HANDLING UNDERAGE PAX:

1: If you suspect but aren't sure, ask for PAX age. If you think they're lying, ask for ID.
2: If you're confident they are underage, or they have told you they are, KICK THEM OUT.
"I'm sorry. California law prohibits UBER from transporting unaccompanied minors. Please exit the vehicle and cancel this ride"
3: DRIVE AWAY.
4: Pull over nearby, and wait for pax to cancel.
5: Once pax cancels, go OFFLINE, and "REPORT SERIOUS INCIDENT"
6: Detail that "Account holder is a minor travelling alone. This is a fraudulent account". or "Passenger is an unaccompanied minor. Claims account holder is their parent/aunt/babysitter/boyfriend/creepy guy in bloody clown pants/etc".
7: Go back online.

You'll get the cancel fee, and their account will be flagged for removal. Done and done.

Just Another Uber Drive

1: If you suspect but aren't sure, ask for PAX age. If you think they're lying, ask for ID.
2: If you're confident they are underage, or they have told you they are, KICK THEM OUT.
"I'm sorry. California law prohibits UBER from transporting unaccompanied minors. Please exit the vehicle and cancel this ride"
6: Detail that "Account holder is a minor travelling alone. This is a fraudulent account". or "Passenger is an unaccompanied minor. Claims account holder is their parent/aunt/babysitter/boyfriend/creepy guy in bloody clown pants/etc".

You'll get the cancel fee, and their account will be flagged for removal. Done and done.
Excellent. I view that as THE procedure to follow.

Trapper9

Except I don't think you can legally ask them for ID. If they say yes you have to believe them. same a s a service animal.

Toonces-the-cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

Toonces-the-cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
P

What if the creepy guy in bloody clown pants is with the minor?

BigJohn

Except I don't think you can legally ask them for ID. If they say yes you have to believe them. same a s a service animal.
That is for employment. Yes, you can ask them for ID to prove they are the person whom they are saying they are and 18 or older.