Very Smart and Talented Taxi Driver & money saving tips

The Jordanator

I saw there is a thread complaining about taxi drivers so I thought I would let you that they are mostly hard working honourable people and also tell you how yesterday I met a very Smart and Skilled taxi driver.

I was doing 80 on the motorway going up towards the harbour bridge citybound, right behind a taxi. Taxi driver slams on brakes and hazard lights in the middle of motorway with nothing in front of him. He comes to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Naturally this caught me by surprise and I had to brake and swerve into the bus lane to avoid crashing into our talented friend.

I thought he must have broken down then I saw, it was 6.58pm. He obviously had the very intelligent idea that if he parked in the middle of the motorway for 2 minutes then he would save $1.50 on his toll. As this is quite a significant amount of money and totally safe and legal procedure I am happy to pass on this money saving tip to my fellow uber drivers and show the wealth of knowledge we can learn from our taxi driving friends.

Immoralized

I saw there is a thread complaining about taxi drivers so I thought I would let you that they are mostly hard working honourable people and also tell you how yesterday I met a very Smart and Skilled taxi driver.

I was doing 80 on the motorway going up towards the harbour bridge citybound, right behind a taxi. Taxi driver slams on brakes and hazard lights in the middle of motorway with nothing in front of him. He comes to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Naturally this caught me by surprise and I had to brake and swerve into the bus lane to avoid crashing into our talented friend.

I thought he must have broken down then I saw, it was 6.58pm. He obviously had the very intelligent idea that if he parked in the middle of the motorway for 2 minutes then he would save $1.50 on his toll. As this is quite a significant amount of money and totally safe and legal procedure I am happy to pass on this money saving tip to my fellow uber drivers and show the wealth of knowledge we can learn from our taxi driving friends.
You were following too closely behind him if you have to swerve. Always leave enough room between you and the car in front and expect them to always come to a dead stop in a moment notice.

The Jordanator

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You were following too closely behind him if you have to swerve. Always leave enough room between you and the car in front and expect them to always come to a dead stop in a moment notice.
I agree I would be totally to blame for any accident that may have occurred especially since the taxi driver was doing such a safe and standard manoeuvre.

Immoralized

I agree I would be totally to blame for any accident that may have occurred especially since the taxi driver was doing such a safe and standard manoeuvre.
Be glad ur car didn't have Automatic Emergency Braking. If that would of kicked in it would be applying the maximum possible braking power available to the car to come to a complete stop as soon as it detects an object in front of you that is decelerating.

Glad you avoided an accident though ?

The Jordanator

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Be glad ur car didn't have Automatic Emergency Braking. If that would of kicked in it would be applying the maximum possible braking power available to the car to come to a complete stop as soon as it detects an object in front of you that is decelerating.

Glad you avoided an accident though ?
Ah great another piece of modern car technology. Putting my foot on the brake is so complex and difficult this will help me a lot. I wasn't actually that close behind him for that to happen but when you are going that fast the distance closes quickly. It will catch you by surprise when old mate decides to bring his cab to a complete standstill for no reason in the place you would least expect. But don't get me wrong, I have nothing but love for him. God bless him.

The Reaper

Ah great another piece of modern car technology. Putting my foot on the brake is so complex and difficult this will help me a lot. I wasn't actually that close behind him for that to happen but when you are going that fast the distance closes quickly. It will catch you by surprise when old mate decides to bring his cab to a complete standstill for no reason in the place you would least expect. But don't get me wrong, I have nothing but love for him. God bless him.
Sounds like a real professional, acting swiftly and decisively and letting you know with hazards..... unlike the majority of vague slow indecisive and clinically blind taxi drivers I have to negotiate around :cautious::biggrin:

dms

Funniest Taxi incident I saw was when two of them crashed into each other at the Domestic Airport because neither bothered to indicate.

westieuber

Mate it was me, you’ve got it all wrong, the old gal ran out of LPG so had to stop to switch her over to good ol E10. Couple of misfires and explosions later and off we went.

Nüber2

If you had a dashcam and hit him from behind, there would be a valid argument the accident was his fault.