very Exciting news, $21/hr

UberBud

Nothing there addressing the huge issue of over saturation creating massive downtime for many drivers. If I'm idle half the time how does this help me?

LADriver

They're seeing the writing on the wall and know this is their last chance. They're trying to persuade drivers to support them, even if it's against driver's best interests. Lyft sent an email today too.

Personally, I'm not liking the idea of being an employee at all, but something has to give! My concern is that if AB-5 is badly written (it's still very subject to amendment), we're going to get screwed no matter which way it comes down - employee or IC!
The California Supreme Court decision states that everyone is PRESUMED to be an employee already.
The only way to exclude a worker to Independent Contractor status is to pass their ABC test. Which no one can.

We are already employees. Have been for over 14 months. AB5 is a way to force UBER/LYFT/GIG companies to convert workers to employee status with all the protections.

$21 an hour is to little to late. It's $27 an hour in New York City. UBER is so desperate.

Last edited:

Amsoil Uber Connect

Actually NO.
There are no other companies who are required to pay an hourly rate and have no say when an EE/IC can work.
Think about...If you were running U/L what would be your solution to drivers sitting in dead areas/times to scam the system?
The answer is they would restrict your access to be able to log on.
The former surge map would become a demand map.
Try to log on and you would get a message:
"At the current time there is not enough demand to allow you to log onto the system. Please move to an area with more demand or try back in 15 minutes."
Lyft already has that map.

See this is what I was saying, It will be like Amazon Flex. keep hitting that go line button every second til it works. Then your scared to go off line cause you don't know if you'll be back .. 15 minute LMAO

WEY00L

Lyft already has that map.

See this is what I was saying, It will be like Amazon Flex. keep hitting that go line button every second til it works. Then your scared to go off line cause you don't know if you'll be back .. 15 minute LMAO
From what has been posted here someone has said that they already have this in NYC.

I had another thought.
I bet U/L will try to include tips in the $21 per hour...anyone want to make a bet I am wrong?

uber-xxx

All I'm saying is now we would make 21 atleast. And again they even stated before expenses. I know we all can push to go above 21 an hr before expenses but that's my point here when we go pick up at lax and sit in half hr traffic or longer we can make 21 an hr. ND THEN AFTER PICK UP. MAKE A LOT MORE. Remember it's not guaranteed 21 a ride. It's just 21 an hr. Guaranteed.

I see you are still dumb as ever
Post automatically merged:

I'll bet that's what this is all about to have us taxed.

Well no sh*t sherlock...

UberIsAllFubared

The California Supreme Court decision states that everyone is PRESUMED to be an employee already.
The only way to exclude a worker to Independent Contractor status is to pass their ABC test. Which no one can.

We are already employees. Have been for over 14 months. AB5 is a way to force UBER/LYFT/GIG companies to convert workers to employee status with all the protections.

$21 an hour is to little to late. It's $27 an hour in New York City. UBER is so desperate.

BINGO... and this is why we will eventually get back pay too.

RDWRER

“Or going to pick them up”

Seems they’re intending to copy Lyft’s rate reduction with a pretend bonus.

If AB5 pass, $21/hour is at minimum. is it?
The current revisions say 2x the minimum wage and this law probably wouldn’t go into effect until next year. By them some places in California will be hitting the $15 minimum wage and the rest will follow soonish so $30 will be the minimum wage under AB5 if they want to keep us as independent contractors.

JustStef

I'm glad to see that Uber/Lyft are no longer able to pull the wool over all of our eyes.

I want to reiterate that AB5 doesn't address flexibility. That is not what the bill is about. The loss of flexibility is Uber/Lyft's lightly disguised threat that they are holding over their drivers. For those of you who are still working fulltime, how flexible is your schedule...really??? You have to have your app on and ready to drive at least 50 to 60 hours a week just to get by.

Both companies offer drivers "bonuses" based on taking more rides. If they have to bribe us to work more, would taking away flexibility work in their favor??

As of their other offerings...$21 before expenses, insurance that the drivers can pay for, a voice for drivers into deaf ears...WOW!!!

If they had really wanted to do anything for drivers, they would have done it already! Uber/Lyft have proven over and over again, that we can't trust nor count on them for anything. If it not legislated or regulated by the government, then it is temporary until they send out their next amended contract.

I spoke to Senator Lorena Gonzalez who wrote AB5. She said that "independent contractors " who do not make at least 2x the minimum wage will not be up for exemptions on AB5. When she drafted AB5, Lyft and Uber, were a few of the companies she had in mind.

Rideshare Drivers-United will be returning to Sacramento to continue lobbying for AB5. Rideshare Drivers-United are currently involved in getting LA to regulate rideshare.

I support AB5 and Rideshare Drivers-United.org supports AB5.

Toocutetofail

What part of 2X minimum wage in #AB5 do you not understand Dara?

July 1 Minimum Wage Increase for City of Los Angeles
March 13, 2019

On July 1, 2019, employers in the City of Los Angeles must pay their employees an increased minimum wage, in accordance with the city’s Minimum Wage Ordinance.
Details of the Minimum Wage
Minimum Wage Requirements
Under the ordinance, the City of Los Angeles employers is subject to annual minimum wage adjustments every July 1, with different rates based on employer size and certain other factors.
Beginning July 1, 2019, the following minimum wage rates will apply:
  • A rate of $14.25 per hour for employers with 26 or more employees
  • A deferred rate of $13.25 per hour for employers with 25 or fewer employees, or nonprofit corporations with 26 or more employees
Minimum Wage Notice
The Los Angeles Office of Wage Standards (OWS) has already released the Minimum Wage notice that reflects the increases for July 1. However, the City of Los Angeles employers must continue to pay their employees a minimum wage rate of either $13.25 or $12.00 through June 30, 2019. In addition, the current Minimum Wage notice must be posted through the end of June.
Since the new notice was released several months prior to July 1, we are going to wait to issue our updated City of Los Angeles poster. But have no fear, our customers will receive the poster with the new July 1, 2019 minimum wage rates in plenty of time prior to the effective date.

Come on dude, you have seen all the earnings screen shots I have posted. $21 an hour is chump change. Exactly why I am down to one day a week doing this job. I won't do it for that.
STOP DRIVING FOR UBER OR LYFT.

U phoria

It’s just like bonuses and guarantees and everything else uber sends to drivers, all they can see is $21 DOLLARS AN HOUR

80% can’t comprehend anything beyond that, none of us want to be employees but we ALL want to watch Uber sink.

Uber and Lyft had a chance to make this work, but by onboarding and many drivers that were willing to drive they screwed up the market.

I mean what company just hires an endless supply of employees and keeps hiring even though they don’t have enough work for them all?

I know it’s easier for uber because they don’t have any real expenses, but hopefully this bill passes and uber sinks hard.

But let’s get real, this is California they will cave in. AB5 probably will go nowhere because people love rideshare and cheap rides. Can you imagine if they took rideshare away at this point?

Stugotz790

It can take 15 minutes to go 2 blocks in that traffic.
I’ve driven in NYC before, I’d argue that LA has worst traffic than NYC, and studies show that too. There’s lots of NYC residents that don’t a car and rely on the subway, thus less cars on the road. Whereas LA doesn’t have public transportation and everyone has a car because of that reason, and everything is spread out.

Amsoil Uber Connect

I'm not buying into all this crying about flexibility. When I had my career job start times were as the company saw fit. Even changed them to help there employees with traffic patterns. Went to 4/10hr shifts so Fridays were off. then 3/36 but were Fri-Sunday.

Only difference is going to be if you can go online or not.

2smart2drive

Just another play on words taking advantage of the fact most drivers don’t speak the best English

$21 hr while on a trip is an insult, they are going to do what lyft is doing and cut the rates and make it from the time you accept the ride.

You won’t make anything while waiting online, also they are saying they will provide “access” to benefits like sick time etc.

Probably an insurance policy you have to pay for.

Also no work Comp etc etc, still a 1099 contractor, if they have to pay like an employer they are sunk and they know it.
Most importantly, notice the word “might” in regards to drivers “losing their ‘when and where’ flexibility”.
While driving for Uber, I’ve learned one thing with certainty: NEVER TRUST the longevity of ANY PROMISES (called “business agreements”) between Uber and Uber-Drivers.
In the real world of “independent contractors”, deals never change “one-sidedly” after agreeing-upon. Contracts must be re-negotiated by both sides. Not one.
UBER insists, that’s OK. Drivers might not know this, but AB5’s legislators do.

At the first opportunity, Uber WILL backstab their drivers and throw them all under the bus. I’ve NO reason to believe any of Uber or Dara’s promises — good or bad. Nor, will I “sign” their petition, in order to MAYBE “keep my flexibility”.

Last edited:

UberAero

Can almost guarantee that as soon as they give you that $21/hr, you will never see a surge ride again. Not because of the imminent over saturation of drivers but because u/l will pocket whatever is above the $21 and not tell you about it.