very Exciting news, $21/hr

Chocoholic

Actually NO.
There are no other companies who are required to pay an hourly rate and have no say when an EE/IC can work.
Think about...If you were running U/L what would be your solution to drivers sitting in dead areas/times to scam the system?
The answer is they would restrict your access to be able to log on.
The former surge map would become a demand map.
Try to log on and you would get a message:
"At the current time there is not enough demand to allow you to log onto the system. Please move to an area with more demand or try back in 15 minutes."
Good point. Good demonstration of the law of unintended consequences.

I was just daydreaming when I wrote that.
?

JG10

Don't be FOOLED by U/L's flexibility argument! It's an appeal to fear.
They're trying to create support for their side (exemption from AB5) by attempting to increase fear towards what they argue is the alternative, no flexibility. It's a bunch of nonsense.
If U/L gets everything they want, drivers will see very little change! Don't sign the petitions they just emailed you!
We’re still keeping our flexibility even as employees I'm just worried about paying taxes as an independent in 5 years I haven’t paid taxes due to mileage deductions as writeoffs

Workerant18

21cents per minutes now and 60 minutes per hour =$12.6/hr if we count minute alone. If we put 15 mileages per hr on our vehicle at 60 cents per mile. We make $9. Uber is offer $21 per hr. If we put 15 mileages on our car. That would put us at $21.6 an hour. Already beating Uber’s offer, we drive more than 15 miles per hour when pax is in our car. Also remember the fares rate can always go lower an seconds.

WEY00L

Why would ANYONE trust these guys to do any of this. Lyft sent out a similar letter today threatening drivers that "hundreds of thousands" of drivers would be "offboarded" if AB5 passed. It's ridiculous. Call Governor Newsom's office and tell them you support AB5. 916-445-2841
I agree that U/L cannot be trusted.
But why would I call the Governor to support AB5 when we have no idea what is really in the bill or what the consequences will be when it passes?

I DO NOT want to be an employee of Uber or Lyft.
The flexibility argument is real.
Both companies have exploited drivers under the current faux I/C status and I have zero doubt they will find ways to exploit drivers who are employees.
The issues regarding ride share drivers if far more complex than just making them employees and everything will be hunky dory.

WEY00L

21cents per minutes now and 60 minutes per hour =$12.6/hr if we count minute alone. If we put 15 mileages per hr on our vehicle at 60 cents per mile. We make $9. Uber is offer $21 per hr. If we put 15 mileages on our car. That would put us at $21.6 an hour. Already beating Uber’s offer, we drive more than 15 miles per hour when pax is in our car. Also remember the fares rate can always go lower an seconds.
Ensuring you earn a minimum of approximately $21 per hour when driving with a passenger or going to pick them up, including costs for average expenses, while always preserving your ability to make more

To be fair the difference is getting paid for going to pick them up AND includes average expenses.
Not sure what "Average Expenses" means because it is a very poorly written sentence. (probably intentional)

That being said $21 per hour is still too low.

WEY00L

Here you go. Read it. Now you'll know what is really in the bill: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB5
I really don't have the time or the expertise to read a bunch of legal jargon.
The assembly bill and the senate bill are not the same so the final version is still unknown.

More importantly we have no idea what the final consequences will be once it passes.

What is your opinion in simplified terms would be the benefit to drivers if the bill should pass?

U phoria

"including costs for average expenses " You mean this? Do you really think these idiots will pay us expenses? Oh, maybe they will give us .03 a mile. Why do you think they didn't spell it out in writing? Do you really think they will make this a $21 an hour job AFTER expenses? Bahahahahaha
Come on man of course they will be giving us all company gas cards

WEY00L

"including costs for average expenses " You mean this? Do you really think these idiots will pay us expenses? Oh, maybe they will give us .03 a mile. Why do you think they didn't spell it out in writing? Do you really think they will make this a $21 an hour job AFTER expenses? Bahahahahaha
I get your point it is not well spelled out.
But your original post was completely wrong.
Man up and admit your misinformation.

Subjugator

From the makers of $3 for 3 consecutive trips, comes Stuber...

That reminds me gotta watch that movie.
Post automatically merged:

The fine print says 21 before expenses.
Post automatically merged:

I will admit 21 an hr guaranteed atleast ain't bad. Consider this. Go up the ramp at lax for half hour. I think 20 mins currently paid make like 4 bucks. 20 cents a min I think and 1st 10 is unpaid.

New way. Half hr means 10.5 bucks already made.

Last edited:

Chocoholic

I really don't have the time or the expertise to read a bunch of legal jargon.
The assembly bill and the senate bill are not the same so the final version is still unknown.

More importantly we have no idea what the final consequences will be once it passes.

What is your opinion in simplified terms would be the benefit to drivers if the bill should pass?
You really should make the time to read and understand it, or at least as much as you can!. It affects you directly! There's a lot to digest in there.

Procedure: The assembly sent their version to the senate. It was amended there. It's in the Senate Appropriations Committee now, where it will get a vote on Friday. That vote will say where it goes next.

Yes, it's different from the original assembly version - a lot different. Most notably, it added language requiring ICs to be paid 2x minimum wage. You can read the rest at the link that was posted above. It's even highlighted to see the latest changes. You can also read the history of versions of the bill.

More importantly, there will almost certainly be more changes coming! (I put the odds on amendments at about 99.997%) What they will be, who knows! If I'm still giving odds, I'll put about a 60% to 70% chance that there will be a carveout that lets U/L keep us as ICs, BUT with a lot of conditions attached! But that's just my opinion, I could be very, very wrong! :coolio:

Subjugator

Hey I did have a thought imagine the 21 before expenses includes things like service fee. So now imagine. It is.15.75 AFTER SERVICE FEE.

UberIsAllFubared

I get your point it is not well spelled out.
But your original post was completely wrong.
Man up and admit your misinformation.

What misinformation? Have either of these two companies ever given you any inkling that they are reputable? They won't be compensating you on the true cost of doing this job, I guarantee it. Drivers will not be making $21 BEFORE true expenses. I stand by my previous statement. If these companies had a history of being good corporate partners, my statement could be argued, but they are the opposite of a good corporate partner. They are shady at every turn, and only care about themselves.