1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Vehicles with RVA Uber signs

Discussion in 'Richmond' started by uber genesis, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Last night I noticed these magnetic signs on about 4 vehicles,all the signs look exactly the same. the vehicles look fairly new which has me wondering if these vehicles are Uber employees themselves

Spotted a new model highlander, BMW X5, jetta and I think an avalon

Did a few hrs today and I only seen the jetta around VCU

2. Dutchman

Dutchman

Driving:
    UberX

I have seen a few of the magnetic Uber signs on vehicles around town. They are just partners who have spent some extra money for a stick-on sign that increases visibility. Truth is, they are just engaging in free advertising for Uber. More power to them, I guess.

I have a Velcro-mounted sign that I put up when "on duty" and take down immediately after turning off my Uber app. I don't need any extra signage beyond what is required by law and the Uber agreement. I honestly don't even like having the "black and gold" TNC annual decal that is affixed to my license plate. I don't like anyone (even a police officer behind me) associating me with Uber when I am NOT working; especially since I only do it on a rare part-time basis.

3. I've seen at least three side-mounted versions around #RVA, the two pictured below plus an Uber/Capital One promo. I don't think anything replaces the legal requirement to display DMV-approved trade dress, but the signs do stand out for customer ID.

RVA Uber-500sq.jpg UBERISH-500sq.jpg

4. tbob1

tbob1

I've seen a bunch downtown and the airport. I don't see point to the signs unless they figure they can get waved down and chop other drivers. Any clown can buy a magnetic sign or print a "U" to put in the car. The only validation is the licence plate. Personally...I am "incoguber". The plate is all the rider needs to see to know I'm legit.

5. Yeah I forgot about the uber capital one sign. I think it makes the vehicles look more like taxis

6. tbob1, if you're incoguber, you need to stay away from DMV enforcement and airport police and ground transportation folks. The trade dress isn't optional, LOL.

7. tbob1

tbob1

8. tbob1

tbob1

Got it covered!

9. Outstanding, Taxi Bob, outstanding.

10. tbob1

tbob1

Who? Never heard of him...lol !

11. SuberNuber

SuberNuber

The guy who was making them supposedly got in trouble with Uber. He was selling their logo haha.

NoNameNoGame likes this.
  12. are you the guy with the personalized "uber rva " license plates

13. Dutchman

Dutchman

Driving:
    UberX

There are some "hard-core" Uber partners in Richmond who have purchased those magnetic "Uber RVA" at their own expense. It is nothing but free advertising for Uber, but it does help passengers find your car when you go to pick them up. I know two people who have them and they've received favorable comments from riders. It's a tax write-off and can't really hurt your business. If I were a full-time Uber partner, I would buy a set for my Altima - but driving two or three times a month for them is not worth further expense for me.

14. tbob1

tbob1

I prefer to remain "incoguber". The rider senses my aura when I arrive.

Dutchman likes this.
  15. I have a lighted uber sign. I normally break it our when I'm picking up in the bottom at 145a but since the Marriott opened parking is just a ***** down there.

16. Dutchman

Dutchman

Driving:
    UberX

I attach my 'trade dress' - the little black Uber emblem - to the top of my right-rear window and I have it up there ONLY when my app is turned on. I rigged it with Velcro so that I can affix or remove it easily, but it won't fall off when a rider rolls down the window or shuts the door too hard. I have an extra one that I can affix to the left-hand window as well if I feel the need.

Once I turn off the app, I go right back to Secret Squirrel status. Only cops and other TNC partners know I drive for Uber because of the black and yellow tabs on our license plates. If Uber wants me to put a big pink banner across my hood, I would do it - but they'd have to compensate me for it. LOL!

17. Dutchman

Dutchman

Driving:
    UberX

I had a choice to Uber tonight or have a date with a hot woman. Needless to say, Uber will be down one partner in Richmond. Mahaahaahaa!!!

I have not worked a Saturday night in awhile, but the last time I did (in August), it was pretty lame.

UberRVADriver likes this.
  18. I don't normally drive Saturdays anymore, but had a few hours free this afternoon and managed to get 10 surge fares in about a 3-hour window. (I ignored any pings that were non surge). Thank you Richmond Folk Festival!

Summer demand was pretty low, as expected.

19. tbob1

tbob1

Saturday it went up to like 4.9, I'm sitting in the middle of it and they keep "pinging me" to go elsewhere. They weren't XL trips so I figure other drivers were turning them down first. I turned down about 6 trips and they kept knocking me off-line. Big deal, to go back online.

I also noticed another trick some riders are using. It's happened three times, so I don't think it's just a coincidence. They'll be in a surge zone but put the pin in a non-surge zone figuring we'll pick them up anyway. The other day I got a ping at the Chili's on Cary St. (non-surge). When I called, I found that the guy was just across Belvedere on Spring St. (surge). I told him that he had to cancel and re-order because he gave the wrong address. He asked why we couldn't pick him up anyway and I said because you incorrectly ordered a ride. Was tempted to tell him it's because he was trying to get a non-surge ride in a surge zone, but I don'[t need another "Uber Gold rider" whining to Uber that I was rude, so I just told him to have a nice day. Surge went off 10 minutes later. I guess somebody got him. First two times..shame on me.........third time..shame on them!