1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Vehicle qualifies for XL/Select/Black. Worth extra costs to do Black?

Discussion in 'Licensed' started by blackice, May 1, 2016.

1. RussellP

RussellP Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    You need commercial insurance to do any ride sharing service.

2. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Incorrect
    You just need to have a TNC add on which adds coverage to the grey parts of the Uber/Lyft coverage (ie when you are driving with out a passenger and without a ride request) most insurance companies that offer this charge a $15-50 a month extra fee

3. RussellP

RussellP Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Without speaking for other carriers, Progressive and Geico both told me the same thing.

A personal auto insurance policy does not cover commercial usage ie: people paying for rides. They said if you get into an accident and they find out you were logged into Uber/Lyft then your claim will be denied, and you'll be personally liable for all damages.

Both companies told me that if driving for a TNC you must have a commercial policy to do so. Both offered me quotes on commercial insurance. Both told me that I'd have to have Uber send them a letter proving my driver account has been deactivated in order to continue or renew my personal insurance.

So back to the original topic... Regardless of if you do Black/Select, even if you just do UberX/XL, you still need to update your insurance coverage.

4. PowerNapper

PowerNapper New Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I have USAA ride share/TNC policy rider for $12/mo extra that covers my period 1 uber rides. It's not commercial insurance but USAA is fully aware of my activities and declares I'm totally covered.

Bean likes this.