Uber Drivers Forum banner

Vehicle Insurance for ride-share (Uber)

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  weekendnightdriver 
#1 ·
Hello All

Riding Uber for a while thinking my vehicle was insured under full comprehensive insurance with Alliance(my premium was $950.00 p/a)...

It is insured now - but my premium is doubled... done a bit of research and prices (in my case only) are:

do cover Uber / ride-share:
- Alliance (unconditional) - $2,000.00 p/a
- Youi (unconditional) - $4,000.00 p/a
- RACV (conditional) - $1,700.00 p/a

do not cover Uber / ride-share:
- Budget
- Coles
- AAMI
- ANZ Car Insurance

Any useful info/comments are welcome

#5 ·
I was more concerned with my false assumption that taking pic of my full comprehensive insurance through Uber app i was insured / covered.
perhaps it covers Uber in some way to wash their hands off in case of accident.

should the accident happen you'll be on your own with your insurance company...

has any 1 here has had an experience with claims while driving Uber?

PS. I do have original DA letter under my driver seat - laminated

#7 ·
I was more concerned with my false assumption that taking pic of my full comprehensive insurance through Uber app i was insured / covered.
perhaps it covers Uber in some way to wash their hands off in case of accident.

should the accident happen you'll be on your own with your insurance company...

has any 1 here has had an experience with claims while driving Uber?

PS. I do have original DA letter under my driver seat - laminated
If its current DA....
that's good.
Upload it to uber...,with your ABN and GST registration...

Uber insurance, hahaha.
You're right, just to cover themselves.

You're on your own..

#9 ·
Hello All

Riding Uber for a while thinking my vehicle was insured under full comprehensive insurance with Alliance(my premium was $950.00 p/a)...

It is insured now - but my premium is doubled... done a bit of research and prices (in my case only) are:

do cover Uber / ride-share:
- Alliance (unconditional) - $2,000.00 p/a
- Youi (unconditional) - $4,000.00 p/a
- RACV (conditional) - $1,700.00 p/a

do not cover Uber / ride-share:
- Budget
- Coles
- AAMI
- ANZ Car Insurance

Any useful info/comments are welcome
Is your age a factor in those rates?
e.g. Are you under 25?

#11 ·
Try Bingle. I got a good deal with them.
I just did a quote with Bingle for full comprehensive.
over 20,000 kms ride share $517.88
Excesses $795
under 25 excess $600
Unlisted household member or unlisted regular driver excess $1950 (i had already listed my wife in the $517.88 price)
Windscreen is $42 extra (how you can claim without paying your $795 is anybodys guess. Can anybody answer this?)
Keep mobile is $37 extra

#12 ·
I just did a quote with Bingle for full comprehensive.
over 20,000 kms ride share $517.88
Excesses $795
under 25 excess $600
Unlisted household member or unlisted regular driver excess $1950 (i had already listed my wife in the $517.88 price)
Windscreen is $42 extra (how you can claim without paying your $795 is anybodys guess. Can anybody answer this?)
Keep mobile is $37 extra
Not bad.Can the excess be lower then $795.

#19 ·
Just for a laugh - youi $4876.38
includes rideshare and a excess of $795
That is not a typo and is a standard ford falcon... Both the operator and I checked the figures and both of us had a laugh.
I made sure that it was not covering a rolls royce or anything strange like that. The monthly premium was almost the same as my yearly figure with bingle and no extra features... Wow just wow

#20 ·
Just for a laugh - youi $4876.38
includes rideshare and a excess of $795
That is not a typo and is a standard ford falcon... Both the operator and I checked the figures and both of us had a laugh.
I made sure that it was not covering a rolls royce or anything strange like that. The monthly premium was almost the same as my yearly figure with bingle and no extra features... Wow just wow
And i thought i was getting ripped of with RACV.

#23 ·
Ok so I switched to Bingle today.... from Allianze
I hit a lump of concrete on the road a few weeks back and it cracked the transmission support... Ouch.
Went to first mechanic and said $$$$ I called Allianze and they said $795 excess and a week prior to an assesor to look at it and then the work could begin. $410 at another mech and I was back on the road. I thought if A was going to treat me this bad I might as well go with the cheapest option.
I went with Bingle from recommendations above. $58.18 inc fully comprehensive and ride cover and windscreen and loaner car etc.
I was more concerned if I hit a BMW that I was covered so Fully comp is great and rideshare thrown in. Love it... Reviews online do not look to shabby either. I don't care what mechanic or colour my car is painted so... Care factor = 0
BTW half the price of Allianze. Maybe half the quality as some have implied but at least I am covered...
As an aside I went for $89 Roadside assist with Allianze. They recon it is supposed to be $99 but if you push them it becomes $89 (I was told it should be $89 line) It is $72 hours without penalty to start using the road side assist. A must considering how much just one tow is. I think it is great extra insurance... Thanks for all the advice guys and girls!!!

#24 ·
Ok so I switched to Bingle today.... from Allianze
I hit a lump of concrete on the road a few weeks back and it cracked the transmission support... Ouch.
Went to first mechanic and said $$$$ I called Allianze and they said $795 excess and a week prior to an assesor to look at it and then the work could begin. $410 at another mech and I was back on the road. I thought if A was going to treat me this bad I might as well go with the cheapest option.
I went with Bingle from recommendations above. $58.18 inc fully comprehensive and ride cover and windscreen and loaner car etc.
I was more concerned if I hit a BMW that I was covered so Fully comp is great and rideshare thrown in. Love it... Reviews online do not look to shabby either. I don't care what mechanic or colour my car is painted so... Care factor = 0
BTW half the price of Allianze. Maybe half the quality as some have implied but at least I am covered...
As an aside I went for $89 Roadside assist with Allianze. They recon it is supposed to be $99 but if you push them it becomes $89 (I was told it should be $89 line) It is $72 hours without penalty to start using the road side assist. A must considering how much just one tow is. I think it is great extra insurance... Thanks for all the advice guys and girls!!!
On their website they say Bingle is a part of Suncorp. Not bad, I think. Although Bingle has no call centre, online service is enough for me.

For roadside assistance, I took one from EasiCar at $50(?) last year. Gee. I can't believe that I took a policy from Uber partner!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.