VEGAS DRIVERS BEWARE: Security warning for 7/28 - 8/7

dpthree

Hello Everyone. Since I am privy to this information, I feel that it is my due diligence to pass this along to you all. There are two conferences in town:

Blackhat is from July 30th to August 4th

Defcon is from August 4th to August 7th

These are two large hackers convention and competition in town. It is suggested that you do not use any public WIFI in the airport and tourist areas. RFID protected wallets are also suggested. Avoid ATMs at major hotels as well.

If you must use it, make sure you change your financial institution passwords as soon are you can get on a wired/secured network and while here, using a VPN is highly recommended.

Blackhat is more corporate/business/info sec industry related

Defcon is more grassroots "hacker" related

There have been reports on website of deep web sites selling Uber "ghost-accounts" for bitcoin and requests of accounts in bulk. If these riders so happen to ride with you and it turns out they are using stolen accounts (which Uber will find out about when the credit card company files dispute), you may lose that fare. I also would disable your wifi in your cell phone and vehicles if you enable them for passengers. I would keep personal details of my life and family out of all conversations if you suspect your passenger may be one of these attendes.

In addition to this, there are hacker teams having competitions on the deep web and placing large bets with each other on who can pull the biggest heists at these two conventions.

Please be aware of all of your passengers and leave your debit and credit cards at home during your shifts, or in a secure wallet (They sell these at 99cent stores at the cash register at every location).

This goes for the cabbies as well.

As much as we may bicker and fight sometimes, at the end of the day we are all people and locals of Las Vegas. We must stand together, be aware, and spread the word to our friends, family, and other locals through social media to be aware and try to avoid using public wifi near the strip these days.

*edit: For Lyft drivers, I would be skeptical (but gracious, lol) of any insanely large tips on Lyft during this convention. That will send off a flag with Lyft for them to start an investigation into that account.

Be aware everyone, and most of all be safe!

SCdave

Excellent post. But I do not see how Uber would not pay out. Uber says they are a Tech and Payment processing company while drivers are the transportation providers.

Drivers get request, confirm Riders Name as shown with request, and provide transportation.

Drivers do not process payments. That is Uber's sole responsibility and part of what all if us pay Uber a very large commission for.

So any fraud re credit cards/payments/axxounts is on Uber and not the driver.

Am I missing something? Other than this, great heads up and post.

wk1102

Excellent post. But I do not see how Uber would not pay out. Uber says they are a Tech and Payment processing company while drivers are the transportation providers.

Drivers get request, confirm Riders Name as shown with request, and provide transportation.

Drivers do not process payments. That is Uber's sole responsibility and part of what all if us pay Uber a very large commission for.

Because they are Uber...

They pay drivers double the fare as a bribe to drive in some cities but if a card comes back stolen, they will take that $13.50 back...

SCdave

Because they are Uber...

They pay drivers double the fare as a bribe to drive in some cities but if a card comes back stolen, they will take that $13.50 back...
I cant see this holding up. Drivers have no control over payment processing. That is solely Uber's responsibility and part of the risk Uber takes.

Now, if Uber wants to reduce their commission to 5% and split the Booking Fee in half with all Drivers then maybe I'll consider sharing the risk of fraudulent payments /accounts.

Oh, that isnt going to happen Uber? . Sorry, pay me the Fare even if you cant collect and do a better job with reducing fraud in the future.

TransporterX

You are totally right. I done <7000 rides in LA and 3000+here in Vegas. I'm sure at least 1 ride was credit card fraud payment. But Uber never took any fares out of mine due to card fraud reason.
I remember and heard it myself during Uber Las Vegas orientation back in 2014. The Uber spokeperson did say we the drivers won't be held responsibility for credit card frauds used by riders.