• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Vaping in car

Ptuberdriver

Why is there a stigma with people who vape in the car? I'll get 1-2 pax say that the driver yelled at them for hitting their juul(barely any vapor coming out). When they ask me I say "yeah, your saving me money on air fresheners, because most give off a nice smell after, and I have yet had a pax who complained that the car smelled like vape.

Now I know that some think that there's bad chemicals coming out of the vape, but THERE ISN'T.

Christinebitg

Why is there a stigma with people who vape in the car? I'll get 1-2 pax say that the driver yelled at them for hitting their juul(barely any vapor coming out). When they ask me I say "yeah, your saving me money on air fresheners, because most give off a nice smell after, and I have yet had a pax who complained that the car smelled like vape.

Now I know that some think that there's bad chemicals coming out of the vape, but THERE ISN'T.
Why? Because I don't want to breathe that stuff. There ARE things in there that I shouldn't have to breathe.

Let's start with nicotine. I smoked years ago. I never want to start again. I would object to having to inhale that stuff.

And then there's cannabis related compounds. I can be drug tested in facilities that I visit for work that I do. I haven't smoked pot for decades, because of that. If I decide to change that, it needs to be MY choice.

Look, I have worked for years in refineries and chemical plants. I'm no stranger to hazardous materials. But I chose to do that. Driving for Uber shouldn't involve that. And I haven't had to. If a passenger started, I'd probably just ask them to stop.

SuzeCB

There is.

Another Uber Driver

They do not leave a smell in my car. I breathe far worse than a little vapour every day.

No, I do not smoke, but smoke does not bother me, either. The only reason that I do not allow cigarets in the car is that Uber and Lyft users do not like the lingering smell. There is no lingering smell from the vapour.

RDWRER

I absolutely do not allow it because I’m allergic to marijuana. Despite common belief that it’s “harmless” because it’s not a smoke it still is dispersing it all over the cabin of the vehicle, and within seconds of someone taking a hit I have an immediate stinging sensation in my eyes which interferes with my vision. This could easily result in a crash caused by a drug addicts careless disregard for any sensibilities.

And also despite common belief marijuana is clearly addictive as far too many people addicted to it can’t control their urges to “sneak” a hit from their vaporizers when they think you’re not looking, instead of going a few precious minutes without putting more marijuana in their systems.

Finally, again despite common belief, the vapor is not made up solely of water and contains chemicals that absolutely leaves a residue on everything that can be felt until cleaned, a residue that is usually sticky and uncomfortable to the touch while driving.

Jay Dean

Do we really know what e cigs/vape does? As SuzeCB pointed out, can they give you Tuberculosis or a new string of cancer? A. And B. Any and I mean any lingering smell can impact future rides, so why bother (just because they don’t say anything, the smell lingers, people that DONT smoke or around that can actually smell, they still know and might rate you later just on the stale lingering smell that smells like....). C. It is disrespectful..D. just because it is not smoke it is still ‘smoking’ you are driving in a 2 ton vehicle you really want anything like that floating around or lingering while focusing?
Plus it is just @@@@@@y thing to do, especially at these rates.

Drivers need to learn to say I am taking you from point A. to point B. Anything else get a limo.

Last edited:

Jay Dean

In my state, it's an offence to smoke or vape in the car as it's a public passenger vehicle, and there's up to $4000 fine or so.
Smartest new law written IMO
Post automatically merged:

In my state, it's an offence to smoke or vape in the car as it's a public passenger vehicle, and there's up to $4000 fine or so.
Your state probably does science

Last edited:

Kyanar

Smartest new law written IMO
Post automatically merged:

Your state probably does science
It's just an extension of our smoking laws - they treat cigarettes and e-cigarettes exactly the same, just like the federal government does on airplanes. So it's banned in workplaces, public passenger vehicles, and within 4m of building entrances.

Jay Dean

It's just an extension of our smoking laws - they treat cigarettes and e-cigarettes exactly the same, just like the federal government does on airplanes. So it's banned in workplaces, public passenger vehicles, and within 4m of building entrances.
Sure, but someone with a brain explained the difference in why that is, trust me