• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Vandalism from taxi drivers. 3 windows smashed.

keno

Hello,

I'm in Portland, Oregon and recently had someone target me as an Uber driver.

It was definitely Uber related as nothing was stolen, and they broke three windows.

Someone (a POS taxi driver) is logging in as a rider and not hailing Uber rides, but using the app to find car locations. This happened within 10 minutes of me logging on, so there is definitely someone doing this.

I'll sign onto the network and wait with my car ready to roll, on street parking. I will definitely be changing my driving practices to prevent this from ever happening again.

In the future, I will never leave my car alone with any identifying information.

This is the "old claw" holding on and resisting change. It's impossible for a business to exist and never change or evolve. Uber is the future and resistance is futile.

limepro

If you were street parked, were there any other cars parked near you? Do you have the U to identify your car? If there were other cars parked there and no U I would have doubts that it was Uber related as it wouldn't pinpoint your car but your location.

If you do have identifying marks on your car that you do rideshare then yes I could see it.

LedHed

Hello,

I'm in Portland, Oregon and recently had someone target me as an Uber driver.

It was definitely Uber related as nothing was stolen, and they broke three windows.

Someone (a POS taxi driver) is logging in as a rider and not hailing Uber rides, but using the app to find car locations. This happened within 10 minutes of me logging on, so there is definitely someone doing this.

I'll sign onto the network and wait with my car ready to roll, on street parking. I will definitely be changing my driving practices to prevent this from ever happening again.

In the future, I will never leave my car alone with any identifying information.

This is the "old claw" holding on and resisting change. It's impossible for a business to exist and never change or evolve. Uber is the future and resistance is futile.
That's real shitty. Glad you weren't hurt.

Sounds like there's an opportunity for a little sting operation. If I were you, I might round up some friends, go online while your car sits a block away but in sight, and see if this guy takes the bait. That's just me. Be safe.

Renaldow

Keno, can you please post more details on this attack in the Portland group here? Also there's a fb group for Uber Portland drivers that your whole story should be posted on as a warning. PM me for that link if you need it.

Eat.Sleep.Drive

Sorry that happened. :frown: I don't ever use the U and especially not when my apartment complex houses 2 cab drivers. :biggrin:
Don't you think they won't figure it out sooner or later, especially when you are running to the car with the iPhone in hand..lol
I don't get this paranoia, tbh. I guess some areas are more zealous than others.
Always take the trade dress off and put it out of sight when not partnering.

I've found concealing it under the mints and behind the case of water does the trick.
LOL .. LOL . You got jokes, poopy!:biggrin:

Renaldow

........and how do we know that it was a taxi driver? Did you see him? Did you see the taxi?
It's almost a fair assumption in Portland right now. Without going into a ton of details or writing an essay, Uber and Lyft has only been in Portland 4 months. Rideshares were on probation until last week. Our taxi industry here is really just 2 major players which have had a monopoly in Portland since the invention of taxi cabs and their attitude and service shows it. They aren't happy about ridesharing and we've all been in kind of a cold war. I haven't heard of any violence like this, and I agree with the ghost cars as KGB7 mentioned. I also read all of the fb groups for Uber and Lyft in Portland and this is the only mention of any kind of violence. Shouts and one finger salutes, sure. Sometimes provoked, sometimes supposedly not. Who knows? I've asked the OP for more details in this thread and I've reached out through a PM to him, with no response. So far I'm filing this one under "Pics or it didn't happen."

Another Uber Driver

None of the cab drivers have been too happy about rideshare here, either. Most of the complaints here are that while the rideshare business is largely unregulated, the taxi business is overregulated. In fact, the response to the lack of regulation of rideshare has been new regulations that are even more unduly burdensome and oppressive than previously.

My experience with UberX is that most of those passengers are people who never would use a taxi, anyhow. They hate the subway and the bus, but they would not pay for a taxi to get off either. They are willing to pay UberX base rates, though.

I tend to respond to posts that negatively profile/stereotype cab drivers for several reasons. One of the majors is that while it is allright to profile and stereotype cab drivers, it is not allright when cab drivers profile and stereotype. Cab bashing is oh-so-fashionable, thus done by every Dedicated Follower of Fashion. If there is one thing that I hate it is double standards.

Renaldow

None of the cab drivers have been too happy about rideshare here, either. Most of the complaints here are that while the rideshare business is largely unregulated, the taxi business is overregulated. In fact, the response to the lack of regulation of rideshare has been new regulations that are even more unduly burdensome and oppressive than previously.

My experience with UberX is that most of those passengers are people who never would use a taxi, anyhow. They hate the subway and the bus, but they would not pay for a taxi to get off either. They are willing to pay UberX base rates, though.

I tend to respond to posts that negatively profile/stereotype cab drivers for several reasons. One of the majors is that while it is allright to profile and stereotype cab drivers, it is not allright when cab drivers profile and stereotype. Cab bashing is oh-so-fashionable, thus done by every Dedicated Follower of Fashion. If there is one thing that I hate it is double standards.
Here there are plenty of people who would like to take taxis, only the taxi companies aren't serving them. With nobody challenging the monopoly, it's been fairly common to have a 30+ minute hold time for dispatch on the weekend with a cab arriving 45-60 minutes later. Trying to pre-arrange an airport ride is an exercise in futility. A driver may or may not show up, and if they do show up they will do so on their own time frame, usually way too early or too late. This isn't uber-rhetoric, this is personal experience and Yelp. A few years ago I had a visit to the dentist which required anesthetic, and no driving. I had a friend with me who didn't drive but was my required babysitter. We had no problems getting a taxi to the dentist, but not one would pick us up and I sat in the waiting room for 2 hours while both taxi companies assured us that someone was right on the way. We actually caught a ride home with a lady who worked there. I was told by a friend who'd been a driver in the past that I was probably being skipped on purpose because drivers were imagining medical issues that didn't exist. I've had good taxi experiences in other cities, I've been friends with drivers. But here in Portland, taxi companies suck eggs. Notice I said companies, not people. Last month at one of the transportation meetings for rideshares the taxi companies were complaining that in the 3 months since Uber and Lyft they'd lost 47% of their business. Of course they did, and will continue to do so because it takes 30+ minutes to talk to a dispatcher, and less than 5 for an Uber to arrive after you tapped your screen.

Another Uber Driver

This is one of the reasons that people like the application. If it gets busy here, the complaints are similar.

1. You call cab company, it rings and rings and rings.

2.Finally someone answers, but puts you on HOLD before you can say the first letter.

3. You stay on HOLD.

4. If someone ever comes back to you, she is extremely rude and asks many questions, then hangs up before you can ask any questions.

5. If you do manage to ask "how soon" you get a canned answer. Frequently, the answer is close to correct, but it is incorrect enough that it is annoying.

6. You sit there, wait and hope that someone is actually on the way to fetch you.

7. If nothing shows up after a while, repeat steps one through six.

1. You open your transportation summoning application.

2. If offered on application in question, you select the level of service that you want (cheap ride, taxi, limousine, van/SUV).

3. The application shows you what, if any, vehicles are available.
a. if one available, go to #4
b. If none available, go to #8

4. You press the button to summon your ride.

5. You see if someone accepts it.
a. if someone does, go to #6
b. if no one does, go to #8

6. You see who accepts your ride and watch his progress to you.
a. if acceptable, you wait
b. if he appears lost, you call and offer to help him get to you.

7. Ride shows up, you get in and give your address

8. You select a different level of service.
a. If "yes", repeat steps #3 through #7
b. If not available or desired, go to #9

9. Realising that there is no acceptable transportation available, you make other arrangements.

Both have the same number of steps, but the latter works much easier than the former. Under the latter, the user is much better informed. I do not blame them. Uber Taxi does much better than two of the "legacy" dispatch companies, here. The third one actually has an application and does other things to fight rideshare and preserve its customer base. The City has developed an application for taxis that is in beta-testing. Truthfully, I fear the City application. The District of Columbia has a repress-ER-uh-PROGRESSive government. One feature of a "progressive" government is compulsionism. This thing will require me to accept a request that is quite a distance away and is not likely to be there when I get there. But, as the government is "progressive", it cares little about the providers' needs or obstacles.

More than one person has argued against allowing cash on an application. My Taxi did it here, and the driver complaints were legion. UberT in New York City does it, but, again, that is due to overregulation and what has to be an illegal monopoly on the taxi credit card processing.

You may have gotten it from some of my posts on this forum, but, I have told more than one driver and company here "If you do not want to serve these people, there are people out here who do." I have also told them "If you are not willing to meet the needs of these people; eventually, someone will show up who is". I started telling them this over credit cards and refusal to serve certain markets here. It has arrived.

UberBlooper

contact uber and see if they would be able to pull up who requested you, that person credit card information will reveal their identity, then once this story makes it to the news those taxi drivers will have the worst rep ever . No customer would want a taxi and the law makers will think in favor of uber in current cases.

Eat.Sleep.Drive

This thing will require me to accept a request that is quite a distance away and is not likely to be there when I get there.
My company recently introduced the ability for a driver to call ALL dispatched calls directly - just like apps do, through a third party line - which I ve used a number of times already, both to verify if the customer is still waiting if the call is older than a few minutes, and/or to locate them once I got to the address. It just makes you wonder where were they all these years, but surely catching up, albeit, slowly.