Vancouver wants a $100 vehicle licensing fee

VanGuy

One Councillor brought up that if Vancouver does it, and then other cities do it, drivers could be paying hundreds of dollars in fees. :frown:

So if Vancouver does it, and then everyone else gets the idea I could see these cities jumping on board:

Vancouver
Surrey
Richmond
New Westminster
Burnaby

Most likely the smaller cities won't but if even just these ones do then we're at $500 in fees to get started.

President

One Councillor brought up that if Vancouver does it, and then other cities do it, drivers could be paying hundreds of dollars in fees. :frown:

So if Vancouver does it, and then everyone else gets the idea I could see these cities jumping on board:

Vancouver
Surrey
Richmond
New Westminster
Burnaby

Most likely the smaller cities won't but if even just these ones do then we're at $500 in fees to get started.
Give them $100

VanGuy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Known costs so far:

Drivers license knowledge test $15
Driver retraining $500
Drivers license road test $40
Medical test $150 - Estimated. Googled and found $100-$120 in 2011
Vehicle Inspection $80
Vancouver business license $125
Vancouver vehicle license fee $100
Other cities to be determined

So before other cities jump on board a driver is out of pocket $1010 plus taxes if they can't find someone to teach them the fine arts of the road test for free. After I paid for mine Lyft came out saying they were arranging something but I didn't look into it since I'd already paid.

Getting a little out of hand I'd say.
Post automatically merged:

Forgot criminal record check $25

Total comes to $1035 and counting.

Last edited:

Kurt Halfyard

Author
One one had it is absolutely ridiculous.

On the other hand, it will definitely deter lots of ANTS.
I'm guessing it is tax deductable (so depending on your tax bracket this expense will be anything from 17-26% less). Full Time Drivers might find this too painful, as their income will be not high enough to take advantage of tax-writeoffs. PT drivers with stable Fulltime job paying more than 50,000 per year will find the Tax Write-Off more attractive.

If it allows you to get more pings for your time, then in a roundabout way, these measures might actually be worth it.

VanGuy

Went to their info session last night. They're in talks with Vancouver to make a more regional approach. Even so, they said that drivers won't have to upfront this cost for city fees and license. From the sounds of things they are really struggling to get drivers as it is. Last night was the last night and there were only about 2 dozen guys there. Some left after hearing things like vehicle requirements.

So, revised list:

Drivers license knowledge test $15
Driver retraining $500
Drivers license road test $40
Medical test $200 - According to the peanut gallery at the meeting
Vehicle Inspection $80

Uber is taking care of the criminal record check as well so current total is $835.

VanGuy

Kurt Halfyard

Author
I hope that Uber will continue to pony up for these fees because apparently the cities are ready to cash in:

Burnaby: $510
New Westminster: $203
Richmond: $132

Are those fees PER DRIVER, on a PER YEAR basis, or a 1 time start-up fee? The Globe Article is not clear on this.

Either way: Ouch.