Vacation in Phoenix to avoid Zika

CarterPeerless

I had a nice couple from New York tonight that were staying at the Four Seasons. I commented that this was an odd time to be visiting Phoenix. Their response was that the wife was pregnant and they were looking for somewhere to go on vacation where they were not going to get Zika, so they came to Phoenix. I never thought of PHX in that way but the logic seems solid. There aren't many mosquitos here, and the ones that are here probably won't give your baby a shrunken head. Score one for PHX.

SEAL Team 5

I had a nice couple from New York tonight that were staying at the Four Seasons. I commented that this was an odd time to be visiting Phoenix. Their response was that the wife was pregnant and they were looking for somewhere to go on vacation where they were not going to get Zika, so they came to Phoenix. I never thought of PHX in that way but the logic seems solid. There aren't many mosquitos here, and the ones that are here probably won't give your baby a shrunken head. Score one for PHX.
No, but Valley Fever and Hanta Virus certainly can cause alarm.

stuber

I guess the off season rates at Four Seasons must be pretty cheap. Are you running X, or BLACK/SELECT/SUV?

stuber

Four Seasons is about $225-$250/night right now during off-season. The restaurant there is probably still at regular prices (maybe $100/plate with drinks.) So, a couple will likely be spending close to $500 per day to stay and eat there during off-season.

Yet these same customers are choosing X to go back and forth to the airport. That's remarkable.

X vs BLACK is a price difference of around $80 (airport to Four Seasons.) It just illustrates how people are cheap, regardless of their income.

I wouldn't haul people from the airport to Four Seasons for anything less than $110. Seal Team 5 would probably feel the same, or similar at least. Hell, my actual costs for that trip are higher than the X total retail price.

I'm amazed that drivers are willing to run at the X prices. You may correct me, but I'd guess that the net for an X driver running that trip is less than $20.

Hopefully, those cheapie customers flipped you a $20 cash tip.

CarterPeerless

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But before you break your phone in half, remember that these people were never your customers. If not for uber, they would have rented a subcompact at the airport, drove to the restaurant and shared an entree while drinking water.

stuber

From a PV restaurant to Four Seasons - my cut was $17, no tip.
Yikes. Well, I guess it can work as long as there's little or no downtime between requests, at any and all locations. And there's SURGE on a regular basis.

If the overall net is $15+ per hour (after all expenses, but pre tax) then that's not terrible.

In a horrible economy, probably not too bad.

stuber

But before you break your phone in half, remember that these people were never your customers. If not for uber, they would have rented a subcompact at the airport, drove to the restaurant and shared an entree while drinking water.
Precisely.