VA TNC Repeal

WaveRunner1

As many of you know, Virginia repealed TNC requirements earlier this year. TNC was set up in 2015 to ensure Uber and Lyft drivers met a set a set of standards including:

• May not discriminate against matched passengers based on their pick-up or drop-off locations and must comply with all applicable laws relating to nondiscrimination and the accommodation of service animals.
  • Must submit to a background check performed by the TNC for which he drives and notify the TNC of any changes to his criminal or driving record.
  • Must not use a vehicle for TNC services that has not been registered for TNC use.
  • May not loan or lease a TNC-registered license plate or trade dress to a non-TNC partner, allow a non-partner to use a TNC-registered vehicle to offer TNC services, or allow a TNC partner to use a TNC-registered vehicle unless that partner has been affiliated with the vehicle by a TNC.
I remember getting into an debate/argument with someone on here who said drivers don't have a right to know where the drop off location of riders is because states have these TNC (or equivalent) systems in place to match taxis and other transport operators. Now that TNC is repealed wouldn't an independent contractor have a right to know where the drop off location is? Let alone anything else the TNC required.

Uberfunitis

I think that we should know the destination or at the very least the estimated time for completion and estimated payout for the trip but I don't think we have a right to such information.

roadman

I think that we should know the destination or at the very least the estimated time for completion and estimated payout for the trip but I don't think we have a right to such information.
We need all of the trip information upfront in order to bid the job, just like any other IC would.

Uberfunitis

We need all of the trip information upfront in order to bid the job, just like any other IC would.
I would like to have all that information, however I have no right to that information. I have a choice not to work for a company that does not give me the information I feel I need but there is no requirement that they give it.

Not all IC know the information and bid on every job there are open contracts where they set terms such as a per hour rate etc when the need for the IC's work arrises you call and tell them that you need them to send someone to X place at Y time. If they can not do the job as agreed when needed they reevaluate continuing working with that contractor.

Tars Tarkas

I would like to have all that information, however I have no right to that information. I have a choice not to work for a company that does not give me the information I feel I need but there is no requirement that they give it.

Not all IC know the information and bid on every job there are open contracts where they set terms such as a per hour rate etc when the need for the IC's work arrises you call and tell them that you need them to send someone to X place at Y time. If they can not do the job as agreed when needed they reevaluate continuing working with that contractor.

No. We are not told to take someone to X place. We are told to pick someone up at X place.

We don't know how much the job will cost us, and we don't know how much we'll paid.

We have none of the information an IC would normally have. Oh, we have a guaranteed minimum.

Uberfunitis

No. We are not told to take someone to X place. We are told to pick someone up at X place.

We don't know how much the job will cost us, and we don't know how much we'll paid.

We have none of the information an IC would normally have. Oh, we have a guaranteed minimum.
We are told that we will make X per mile and y per min we are just not told how many miles it will be. Some IC are told they will get X per hour but not always how many hours the job will take. It is the same, either way we are not entitled to that information even though it would be nice to have.

Jo3030

We are told that we will make X per mile and y per min we are just not told how many miles it will be. Some IC are told they will get X per hour but not always how many hours the job will take. It is the same, either way we are not entitled to that information even though it would be nice to have.
You make no sense, kitty cat.

Tars Tarkas

I think I'm arguing with the idea of driving for Uber, not Uber.

Supply your own car, insurance, buy your own gas.
Go to pickup X and take it somewhere.

It's not a question of how many hours I'll get since I'm not paid by the hour. I have no idea what my miles will be, what my costs will be, nor what my billings will be. I've no way to calculate them. I'm totally in the dark.

Sorry, that is not usual IC Land.

It would make more sense in the sense you want it to make sense if I were paid for time or miles getting to the pickup location and time or miles returning from drop off location. Then, the only variable is the one I signed up for: $.79/mile and $.17/minute, or whatever.

Or, a flat fee. With a flat fee per trip, I could calculate things.

Or, cost-plus, billed in arrears, not simply $/mile/on trip.

But nothing about this Uber-Partner "contract" resembles any other Ind. Contractor contract I've ever seen.

Uberfunitis

I think I'm arguing with the idea of driving for Uber, not Uber.

Supply your own car, insurance, buy your own gas.
Go to pickup X and take it somewhere.

It's not a question of how many hours I'll get since I'm not paid by the hour. I have no idea what my miles will be, what my costs will be, nor what my billings will be. I've no way to calculate them. I'm totally in the dark.

Sorry, that is not usual IC Land.

It would make more sense in the sense you want it to make sense if I were paid for time or miles getting to the pickup location and time or miles returning from drop off location. Then, the only variable is the one I signed up for: $.79/mile and $.17/minute, or whatever.

Or, a flat fee. With a flat fee per trip, I could calculate things.

Or, cost-plus, billed in arrears, not simply $/mile/on trip.

But nothing about this Uber-Partner "contract" resembles any other Ind. Contractor contract I've ever seen.
Not all IC's get paid for travel time to get to a job site and it can take much more time than what we take usually. At least we have control over how long we are willing to travel to get to the customer that is not always true for all IC's. I love how people keep pushing this IC angle like it is a catch all, it is the wild west as an IC with little regulation there is no standard for an IC each IC sets their own standard as to their work environment and what they are willing to put up with. Most have enough self respect and just stop taking jobs given by people that they feel are screwing with them unless they feel the pay is worth it. Here people seem desperate they don't like the contract but don't seem to be willing to walk away either.

Jo3030

Not all IC's get paid for travel time to get to a job site and it can take much more time than what we take usually. At least we have control over how long we are willing to travel to get to the customer that is not always true for all IC's. I love how people keep pushing this IC angle like it is a catch all, it is the wild west as an IC with little regulation there is no standard for an IC each IC sets their own standard as to their work environment and what they are willing to put up with. Most have enough self respect and just stop taking jobs given by people that they feel are screwing with them unless they feel the pay is worth it. Here people seem desperate they don't like the contract but don't seem to be willing to walk away either.
This makes absolutely no sense.