Using the set destination feature

DCX_Rob

Having added this to the app 2 weeks ago, I have found its a great tool for making some extra cash when just driving places! Has anyone else found this? I live in coogee and work in Alexandria, so in the mornings I will put my app to the city and do a drop off before heading to work (I work about 3ks out of city). Than when leaving I set destination to coogee/randwick and if I get a trip home happy days. I figure I'm already driving that way everyday, might as well get paid for it. Similarly last night i had dinner in the city, when leaving I picked someone up heading to coogee, so that was $20 for the ride home I was already taking.

WollyDriver

Do you tend to wait for a job, or just start driving in the direction and see what happens on the way?
So far, it's worked once. I needed to return a lost mobile phone from a pax, it was a saturday night, and just started slowing down, so I entered the destination address and within a minute or two had a job (which was to that exact address!). So, double mission accomplished, which was nice.

DCX_Rob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I generally set my destination about 10 mins before I leave the house in the morning and the same for in the arvo after work. If I get nothing by the I just start driving my normal route and see what Happens. sometimes I get a job, sometimes I don't! Last night I got a job from the city to coogee and it was literally to my apartment block, I picked up someone who lives on the floor above me!!

TheHasBeen

I was in Bondi and set destination to Newtown and got a ride to Coogee. In Coogee I tried it again and got a Kings Cross fare.

Avenig

I was in Bondi and set destination to Newtown and got a ride to Coogee. In Coogee I tried it again and got a Kings Cross fare.
Yes I've had a similar experience. Wanted to go to Strathfield from the city. I ended up getting a ride from newtown to camperdown. Not bad but not overly helpful either.

TheHasBeen

It worked reasonably well first time - Darlinghurst to Stanmore when I needed Ashfield (it was 4am). The next two times pretty useless and nearly made me late for an appointment.

I had to reach auburn from the city and had 50 minutes to get there. Usually 30-35 min drive from the city. Tried the destination feature. Got a job from cowper wharf to Cheltenham??? Way off..so i wouldnt try the feature if i really had to get somewhere.

DCX_Rob

Yeah I haven't had any weird directions yet, I guess when you are going further away from the core area it sends you in the general direction, rather than being suburb specific as there might not be many requests. Did it this arvo after work as was going to north Sydney and worked perfectly, got a trip from Alexandria to 1 street away from where I was going :smiles:

Heisenberg 99.1%

Few nights ago heading home got one 8 mins back from the way i was heading to take him about 3 mins back from where i was when i received the ping.
Hey......all part of the service right?. So happy to help.......pffft!!!
Yes i am a fool - Lesson learned, when 15 mins from home go offline you fool

TONY-T

I got my girlfriend to sign up just for this feature. She works in the city and has to drive there to and from every morning and afternoon.
It makes sense to try and make some money on the way, it could atleast pay for her petrol for the week and then some.

I used it once last week for the first time and it worked well.

Can anyone confirm if the 2 trips resets at midnight???

Avago

I've been using this feature quite a bit as I commute a few days a week from the Northern Beaches out to near Narellan and at least 50% of the time I manage a Northside to to airport or at least the city.
Tony-T, that's a great idea for your city commuting GF...
Think of it as paid commuting.

Also works well when making a homeward bound end to a long night shift...
Nothing worse than trying to head home and the last pax you were picking up takes you 40 km in the other direction.... Especially when your fatigue levels are high...

Avenig

I got my girlfriend to sign up just for this feature. She works in the city and has to drive there to and from every morning and afternoon.
It makes sense to try and make some money on the way, it could atleast pay for her petrol for the week and then some.

I used it once last week for the first time and it worked well.

Can anyone confirm if the 2 trips resets at midnight???
Yes it resets after midnight. This happened to me last week.

WollyDriver

Few nights ago heading home got one 8 mins back from the way i was heading to take him about 3 mins back from where i was when i received the ping.
Hey......all part of the service right?. So happy to help.......pffft!!!
Yes i am a fool - Lesson learned, when 15 mins from home go offline you fool
Why would you accept a ping 8 mins away? Anything more than 5 and you need to ask yourself what is going to make this worth it?

Heisenberg 99.1%

Why would you accept a ping 8 mins away? Anything more than 5 and you need to ask yourself what is going to make this worth it?
If i only accepted pings 5 mins or less away i would get very little work.
This is going to shock you, but I accept every ping...... (gasp!!!).... and i get lots of work. I am a full time driver, if i start trying to "game it" and guess which one would be worth it or not i will drive myself crazy and seriously would not be able to do this full time.
I accept all pings and i just drive drive and drive. If i don't want to drive i log off.
I accepted a 14 min away ping 3 mornings ago, it was a $58 trip.
I don't get many surge fares, i always try and head to the Eastern burbs, but very rarely get there before getting a ping somewhere, it then takes me to another ping and then another.

DCX_Rob

I had great success with the feature tonight! Ended up in dee why and wanted to head home so set coogee, trip home went like this - dee why to manly, manly to mossman, cromorne to the city, city to paddington, Allianz stadium to coogee bay hotel! Turn the app off and only have to drive to streets and I'm home with a very profitable trip from dee why

TONY-T

So not sure if this is known or not, but it looks as though you get more trips then just 2. Lets say you set your destination to Manly and your coming from Bondi. You get your first ping that takes you from Bondi to the Opera House, the next one takes you from Opera House to Mosman. It seems as though those 2 trips actually count as 1 trip! I can't confirm this properly just yet, but you may get a few trips that count as 1 trip until you get close to your destination. This counts as 1 trip!

Tonight I did 2 trips in row that headed towards my destination and it only counted as 1 trip!

Can anyone confirm this??