1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Using an iPad (or any tablet) for Uber Driving

Discussion in 'Technology' started by anewfoundsin, Jul 10, 2015.

1. LadyDi

LadyDi Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    On FoxFi first and foremost but Uber too we all know.

2. MulletMan

MulletMan Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    For me, the easiest to is create a hotspot on my phone and run UBER and LYFT app on both the tablet and the phone. I also run uber pax on the phone so u can check actual surge. Just make sure to accept pings on your tablet and boom nav is on tablet. I have a GalaxyS5 and SM-T520 10.1" tab from amazon refurbished for $225. And the mount?
    #1 InfiniApps DuoMount[MAGNETIC MOUNT] The original, best, patented CD Slot Mount, Car Phone Mount
    by InfiniApps Technology
    4.7 out of 5 stars 114 customer reviews
    | 13 answered questions

List Price: $39.99
    Price: $34.99
    Sale: $19.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
    You Save: $20.00 (50%)

This mount works perfect for me and i can do my tablet hor or vert.

2016-03-13 23_25_01-Capture.png

3. uberron73

uberron73 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have a galaxy note 3. I just use it for uber and personal. At first I was gonna run tablet but it's been easier to just use my phone.

4. Charlie Schwartz

Charlie Schwartz Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Has anyone succeeded in contacting pax using a tab? Ive got an android with hangouts dialer and get a message that the number I am calling from (which is my google voice number and is definitely associated with my account) is not associated with my account.

This was before the newest update. And it continues to be a problem now as well.

I contacted Uber and they said using Google Voice may cause issues.

5. Anopsis

Anopsis New Member

Did you change your contact # in the profile area of the uber partner app?

6. Charlie Schwartz

Driving:
    UberX
    i believe so. i definitely changed it sonewhere, and got a confirmation from uber. have you had any success?

7. HotRodriguez75

HotRodriguez75 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I use a tethered android tablet but have my Uber account associated with my phone. Since Uber is randomizing the rider contact number, I have handled it two ways.

1. If I open the driver app on my phone, 90% of the time it will update the app as if I am on a trip on the phone. At that point, I click contact and call/text
    2. If not, I simply just dial the number on my phone and call or text.

I have not invested in the time to configure so I can use hangouts/voice, but google voice actually uses a randomized number like Uber so I think that may the issue as they can never tie that back to your actual voice number/the one associated with your Uber account.

If this becomes more of a hassle, my next step is to purchase a super sized phablet.

8. Anopsis

Anopsis New Member

I have not tested it yet, but I changed my contact # in the Uber app on my tablet, and I see it there as well on my tablet. I have placed a call to and from my 4GLTE tablet using Hangouts Dialer and it was successful. I suppose I won't know for certain until I need it.

9. Carl Sabatini

Carl Sabatini New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Actually you can dial from a WiFi I pad. Goto the face time icon and select face time then look at the top of the page you will see a choice of audio or video. if you select audio you get a dial pad

10. Just KW

Just KW New Member

How are you splitting the screen? Did you find an app that works? I'd love to be able to run Uber in a split screen.

11. Rufusruffington

Rufusruffington New Member

12. Charlie Schwartz

Driving:
    UberX
    <EDIT: See my later post where i explain why I do not recommend using google hangouts.>

Great news, I stopped by the greenlight location today, got them to change the number for me. I can contact customers via the app! When they call me, it comes through my tablet! Bye-bye, phone plan!!! Google hangouts rules!!!

(Note: I still haven't succeeded in sending texts via the app. Also note that I can't vouch for other rideshare apps.)

(Note: If you want to be super sure it will work like it has for me, make sure to turn off call forwarding on your google voice number before making it your official uber number. In fact, this alone may be enough. I'm not sure. Certainly, it doesn't work to first change your uber number to hangouts (using the app, not at a greenlight hub) and then turn off forwarding. That is what I had done originally, and it didn't work.)

(Note: For now, it seems that the calling process is streamlined somewhat when hangouts is NOT open at the time you press the "contact" button in the uber app)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  13. Paul99

Paul99 New Member

It depends on your market. It's not always the same number in the New Orleans area.

14. Bart McCoy

Bart McCoy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I mean yeah that's true now,most markets teh numbers change. But it Was true a whole year ago when he made that statement, smh

15. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I miss those days....

16. Charlie Schwartz

Driving:
    UberX
    i changed my number back to the flip phone. Some riders have been telling me that they try to call me but get voicemail. Hangouts just doesnt provide reliable service.

And no, I never did manage to send texts via the app. I could receive them, though.