1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Using an iPad (or any tablet) for Uber Driving

Discussion in 'Technology' started by anewfoundsin, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Mayday

Mayday Member

I love reading people's remarks about how you can't do this and you can't do that. I've been using a tablet for Uber for 3 months. Main reason is they don't have any business snooping around in my personal phone, but I like having a bigger map display as well. I don't have their app installed on my personal phone, but I use the messaging and texting features of my personal phone to alert riders. If you want voice phone and texting on your tablet, get a Google voice account and phone number and run that app, then give the Google voice number to Uber. Don't rely on wifi, get a regular 4G tablet from one of the carriers. I have mine with T-Mobile and get 5 gigs of data for $30 per month, I believe. Make sure you get one with more than 2 gigs of RAM. I've noticed the Uber app can bog the tablet down after 3 or 4 rides, forcing a restart on the tablet.

Bart McCoy, Shea47 and LadyDi like this.
  2. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    iOS does not transfer GPS information to non-GPS chipped devices via tethering. So no, a WiFi only iPad will not properly work for Uber.

3. gaj

gaj Well-Known Member

I have been using a Samsung Tab 10.1 (Wifi only, no 4G) tethered to a hotspot. No problem. Tablet does have GPS built-in.

g

Whiteorchids and LadyDi like this.
  4. LadyDi

LadyDi Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX

That last line bothers me. I've not seen any of that on my N6 so I might stay there for a minute. Good info as I am on T-Mobster as well and my 4G LTE/Wifi DiPad is theirs. All set up with everything you've mentioned except I am not getting another number when it already has one.

5. Shea47

Shea47 New Member

How do you deliver a wifi hotspot from your phone while away from your home wifi? Where is your phone getting wifi to share with the tablet???

6. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Many phones can create their own wifi network and host data access.

7. MrBear

MrBear Active Member

I
    have a Samsung phone and I use Walmart family mobile because it's unlimited internet for $35 a month and that includes hotspot. I downloaded a hotspot button and just press the button and I instantly have hot spot wifi for my customers

8. MrBear

MrBear Active Member

At the bottom of your reply is a X delete
    Just delete it

Shea47 likes this.
  9. Shea47

Shea47 New Member

Can you tell us how you use your personal phone to text or call them? I have only used my phone and I cannot see how that would work if you don't have the app installed on it. How do you know their number to call them if you don't go through the app to do that? Does their number come up on the tablet and then you use the phone to call? Please expound.

10. Shea47

Shea47 New Member

I am just really interested in using a tablet to do all of it but if I can do it the way you are doing I will.

11. PTB

PTB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I plan to use my IPAD for Triplog GPS tracker for keeping track of my IRS mileage, along with the GoPoint BT1 Bluetooth OBD-II scan tool and connect through bluetooth to record the odometer.

IPAD is great for a backup navigation tool using GOOGLE MAPS
    use the iPhone for Uber navigation , call/text.

I tried using the IPAD for Uber, but it didn't respond as well as the iPhone.

12. BentleyK9

BentleyK9 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I am using an Android LG 7in tablet that is on my data plan. I have a magnetic vent mount. Works great. I default it to Google Maps for directions.
    If i need to contact a rider i just use my cell phone. The number is always the same ride after ride.

13. LadyDi

LadyDi Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I looked at FoxFi and the ratings are going down slowly but surely. Still trying to use the DiPad to Uber with.

14. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It's always the same number. Just add it to your contacts. If you are deactivated at any point it may change but just save it again if it does.

15. Bart McCoy

Bart McCoy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    your uber ratings or ratings of FoxFi?

all the more reason to never own any apple device

he said how in the text you quoted. That's one way. The other is to root your phone and unlock the hotspot, that's how I do it. Free unlimited tethering

As for calling a pax and texting a pax, you would still need to use your phone to do that. As for knowing what number to call Look below what I'm typing now for your answer:

16. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Lol.

I use a 4G enabled iPad along with my iPhone and Apple Watch. Haters gonna hate.

17. Bart McCoy

Driving:
    UberX
    That means you have TWO bills to pay though right? #AndroidFreeTetheringForTheWin

18. DexNex

DexNex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    One bill. Extra device is $10/month (on ATT). They share same pool of data.

iPad shown here:
    [​IMG]

19. Bart McCoy

Driving:
    UberX
    Can you give me a closer picture of your mount?

20. painfreepc

painfreepc Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Why don't you look at up and stop assuming, you can get a tablet that can be used as a phone, I had one, look on eBay..