1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Using an iPad (or any tablet) for Uber Driving

Discussion in 'Technology' started by anewfoundsin, Jul 10, 2015.

1. anewfoundsin

anewfoundsin New Member

Ok. I have a wifi only iPad I want to use for Uber. First question, do I need to upgrade a 4G-enabled iPad (or any tablet) for this to work?

2nd question, what about phone calls/text messages? How will this work with an iPad?
    3rd question, is an iPad the best tablet to use for driving? What about the Samsung tablets?

Thanks

2. Backdash

Backdash Well-Known Member

3. KGB7

KGB7 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You cant make phone calls from a tablet. This is not rocket science.

You have a phone, use it as main and only source for everything.

4. Shakenama

Shakenama Member

There are tablets which have 3G and 4G capabilities. They are sold by the carriers. Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile and Sprint all sell tablets that have 3G /4G chipsets which you can make calls from. Just Google 3G tablets.

5. KGB7

KGB7 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    3g and 4g is for internet access.

There is no dialpad on tablets.

6. nighthawk398

nighthawk398 Well-Known Member

true but if your calling the customer and the phone number is always the same for every customer just use your phone to call them and the tablet for navagation and accepting pings

However I would not use a wifi only one because might be an issue with gps tracking

7. sdrick

sdrick Member

I have the partner app on a cheap Asus tablet ($50), this is what I get my pings and do navigation. With any tablet it must have AUTOMATIC TIME/DATE or the partner app will not work. You still use your phone to receive calls/txt to/from paxs. I have an android and use it as a hotspot to deliver wifi to tablet. On android there is an app called foxfi that allows you to hotspot for free. You will need to purchase the key from fixfi for unlimited use. Great app; system works flawlessly.

ResIpsaUber likes this.
  8. KGB7

KGB7 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You need WiFi or mobile plan, because Google maps or waze don't work with out data.
    It has nothing to do with GPS tracking.

You can tasser your tablet to the phone, this way you only have one data plan to pay for.

FYI
    T-Mobile has a tablet for $10/month with 5gigs of data. It's an LG tablet.

9. sdrick

sdrick Member

To hotspot your phone to a tablet is using your data plan (ftom phone) to provide wifi to a another source (a tablet). Yes, You are charged for the extra data you use tethering your phone to a tablet. Fortunately I have an unlimited data plan from verizon I have for free (grandfarthered plan). Otherwise as you mentioned you need to pay for hotsspot feature.

10. nighthawk398

Ok so I am a noob but how does waze know where you are without GPS? does it get the location from the teather?

11. KGB7

KGB7 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Gps IS for location tracking.

WiFi/Mobile plan, provides data and info for roads and gives you road directions... through teathering.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  12. Phil H

Phil H Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm thinking about doing the same thing the benefit is you have to pay for Wi-Fi service which is a lot cheaper than a cell phone.. I see plans as low as $15 a month for 1GB

13. nighthawk398

Hopefully that's not wifi but 3g or 4g

14. Phil H

Phil H Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes correct they should pay for 3G or 4G service thru a Provider.. Or maybe they could ride around town and try to connect to random Wi-Fi sites!!

15. Skywriter

Skywriter New Member

You can use a tablet. If you install Hangouts Dialer, you can use it as a phone also. It must have 3G/4G capability which means a SIM card.

Shea47 likes this.
  16. LadyDi

LadyDi Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX

Thanks Skywriter, this answered my DiPad Air 2 question.

17. MrBear

MrBear Active Member

I
    use the Samsung Tab 4 7" tablet international version because it has the phone in it, they are under $200 on Amazon . I split the screen and run both uber and Lyft together, love it

18. LadyDi

LadyDi Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX

The app looks way better on my DiPad Air 2 than it does on my N6. Thanks again Skywriter as I have not used it on the DiPad as yet because of the calling feature and how it would work out. I want to do a test run before I go live with it.

19. Hypnotist

Hypnotist Member

You can also make calls from your tablet via WiFi connection from your tablet to your phone with an Android app called Talkatone.

When you sign up with Talkatone you get assigned an actual new phone number. You can make and receive calls and text messages with the number they give you.

Edited to add:

It had been a while since I had used this app, and I so I just got on my tablet and used it again.

Incoming calls, and all text messages are free.

You have to purchase credits to make outgoing calls (though I was awarded a bunch for free). The cost of the credits is 99 cents for 60 minutes of talk time, so that's not bad really if you are just using the app and number to call PAX when necessary.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Bart McCoy likes this.
  20. LadyDi

LadyDi Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My iPad version of the Uber app is 3.79.1